Counselling and autism: Orly Koppel (Pure Counselling) and Chris Bonnello (Autistic Not Weird)
This event represents a unique opportunity to learn about working with autistic and neurodiverse clients. In the first joint training event of its kind, Orly, a counsellor and trainer, and Chris, a speaker on Autism who is autistic himself, are aiming to achieve the following:
- To increase awareness of the sorts of difficulties experienced by this client group and their families that might bring them to counselling.
- To share Orly's wide-ranging experience with clients.
- To discuss what type(s) of therapy is most helpful.
- To discuss how counselling this group of clients might be different (or not) for the therapist.
- To hear about the lived experience of a person who has Autism.
- To hear what the neurotypical majority can do to help the autistic community.
Orly Koppel is a BACP Snr Accredited Counsellor with a special interest in autism and neurodiversity. She has a wide range of experience with this client group and is on the National Autistic Society’s List of Counsellors. She will present her workshop “Pure Counselling” during the first half of the day.
Chris Bonnello is a former primary school teacher who has Aspergers. He is now a well known writer, blogger and speaker on Autism issues and author of http://autisticnotweird.com. Having worked in primary as well as special education, he is well placed to share his insights from both a personal as well as a professional perspective. To date, autisticnotweird has had over 1.8 million page hits, and at present there are 96,000 Facebook followers. He will present after lunch and will offer ample time for Q&A at the end of the day.
Who is it for?
Counsellors, trainee counsellors, psychologists and other mental health workers.
More information at https://asd-perth-18-june-19.eventbrite.co.uk
About Audrey Smith
Greenwood Events aims to offer affordable workshops to counsellors interested in CPD, anyone interested in self- development or considering a career in counselling. It also aims to offer opportunities to stimulate networking and knowledge sharing among counsellors in Scotland. Visit www.greenwoodevents.co.uk for more information.