Certificate in supervision: Training course
Certificate in Supervision
Facilitators: Caroline Brazier and Jeff Harrison
Becoming a supervisor is a natural development for many experienced therapists. As we reflect on our therapeutic practice and develop our own internal supervisor, we become interested in sharing our experience with others and supporting their development within the profession. This is in itself enables growth in our client work. Whilst holding onto our own original training model, we often move to a more integrative approach, valuing the dialogue which professional encounters offer and discovering different windows on therapeutic practice.
This coming academic year, Tariki Trust is delighted to offer a Certificate in Supervision programme. This course will draw on principles of person-centred learning to enable your development as a supervisor. It will support you in articulating and fulfilling your own learning needs whatever your original training modality, whilst engaging with others in a process of dialogue and exchange. The course will be suitable for all counsellors and therapists, whatever their therapeutic orientation.
Through a co-operative learning experience you will be enabled to identify and develop your skills in the field of supervision. We will support you in developing your own learning style in the belief that this is the best way to produce reflective practitioners. Cognitive understanding and experiential practice are both key elements of the training.
There is a basic course structure but it will be refined in collaboration with participants. The following elements will almost certainly be included:
- What is supervision?
- Models of supervision
- Responsibilities & boundaries
- Supervision as a developmental process
- Different styles and frameworks of supervision
- Therapeutic processes in supervision
- Power in supervision
- Social and cultural elements in supervision
- Legal & ethical issues in supervision
- Supervision in person and via electronic media
- Ways of being as a supervisor
- In the spirit of the Tariki approach, the precise content will be student-centred and process-led. Weekends will include small and large group discussion, experiential work and supervised and unsupervised practice supervision sessions.
- Assessment will be by self, peer and tutor.
This course is suitable for applicants who have at least a year of post-qualification experience in counselling, counselling psychology or psychotherapy; or who are from a related profession or have an equivalent level of training and experience.
The course will help you to:
- Practice ethically and professionally (and facilitate others to do so)
- Identify and respond to the personal & professional challenges of supervision
- Develop as reflective practitioners
- Learn, practice & develop supervisory skills
- Explore key concepts and issues in supervision
- Explore supervision within teams, agencies and organisations
- Explore the process of developing creative & collaborative relationships with supervisees
- Discuss comparative theory & practice of supervision
- Engage with current literature on supervision
- Offer supervision over a range of individual & group settings
- Offer supervision of supervision
- Facilitate the core conditions within supervision
- Assess ethical dilemmas
- Understand the importance of contracts and record-keeping
- Relevant hand-outs, reading lists and materials of interest linked to the course will be distributed throughout.
Course Entry Criteria: Applicants must be one year post-qualification or equivalent. Applicants not having completed any previous supervision certificate course, on satisfactory completion of this course will secure a Certificate in Supervision qualification.
Assessment criteria: Successful completion of course attendance – 100% attendance is required. The course is continual peer- and tutor-assessed. All participants who successfully complete the course criteria will be awarded the relevant certificate at the end of the course.
Course contact time: 60 hours
JEFF HARRISON: I work as an integrative therapist, supervisor and trainer in Liverpool. I currently teach for Tariki Trust and on an MA programme in person-centred counselling and psychotherapy at Liverpool John Moores University. I recently relocated from London where I worked in private practice, taught at the New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling and managed a small counselling service in an educational setting. I also have a PhD in comparative models of psychology/therapy. I have written several articles and book chapters and recently co-edited a collection of essays entitled The Wisdom of Not-knowing.
CAROLINE BRAZIER: I have been a psychotherapist and supervisor in private practice for more than twenty years and am course leader of the Tariki Training Programme in Psychotherapy and the Ten Directions programme in ecotherapy. In addition, I do occasional teaching and speaking in a variety of settings in the UK and overseas. I have written seven books on Buddhism, psychotherapy and ecotherapy and have published a number of other chapters and articles in addition.
- 9-10 December 2017
- 13-14 January 2018
- 10-11 February 2018
- 7-8 April 2018
- 5-6 May 2018
Course Cost: £1,250 (this fee includes lunches and refreshments)
Deposit of 10% is required to secure your place (non-returnable) to be paid by 30th August 2017. The remainder of the fees are payable by November 30th. Early Bird booking discount: if booked & paid in full by 30th August 2017 you will qualify for a 10% discount off full price (£1,125.00)
Instalment plan available (incurs £50.00 administration fee): Payment of £500.00 by November 30th 2017; Payment of £500.00 by January 30th 2018 Payment of £300.00 by March 31st 2018
The Buddhist House, 12 Coventry Road, Narborough, Leicestershire LE19 2GR Telephone: 0116 286 7476
This course will be held at The Buddhist House, 12 Coventry Rd, Narborough LE19 2GR. The course is non-residential, but some accommodation is available in the house. For details please see our web site.
Cancellation policy: If for any unforeseen reason we are required to cancel this course, all monies will be returned.
Please complete application form and email to email@example.com. Note that places will be limited and will be offered on a first come, first served basis.
About the host
Tariki Trust is a registered charity which offers training and courses linked to psychotherapy, counselling and ecotherapy from a Buddhist perspective. For further detail please see www.buddhistpsychology.info