Bowlby's attachment theory and lifelong relationships
This is a unique opportunity for participants to learn about attachment theory without much distance from it's original source. The facilitator was taught attachment theory by John Bowlby's Son; Richard Bowlby. Our attachment style influences how we are in friendships, family relationships, intimate relationships and also the therapeutic alliance. The unremembered years of our lives are instrumental in shaping who we and our client's are.
This event will focus on providing insight, awareness and the knowledge required for reparation.
Aims of this event
- To introduce or revisit John Bowlby’s theory of attachment and its impact on lifelong behaviours and relationships.
- Explore how differing attachment styles might influence the central view of self and how this can influence thoughts, feelings and behaviours in close/intimate relationships.
- To discuss how core beliefs or life situations can confuse the presentation of the attachment style.
- Demonstrate how the information outlined above can be useful in understanding recurring problems and difficulties in work, family, intimate and social relationships.
- Explore the impact of client and therapist attachment styles on the therapeutic alliance.
- Outline the role of the therapeutic alliance in reparation.
About the facilitator
The event will be delivered by Andy Gray. Andy has close to 20 years of experience in various roles in the helping professions including Social Work, Substance Use/Abuse, Trauma Recovery, Hospital Management (locked rehab and low secure) and Complex Presentations. Andy is a BABCP Accredited CB Psychotherapist, BABCP Accredited Clinical Supervisor, BABCP Accredited Trainer and COSCA Accredited Trainer.
More information at https://bowlby-skye-mar-19.eventbrite.co.uk
About Audrey Smith
Greenwood Events aims to offer affordable workshops to counsellors interested in CPD, anyone interested in self- development or considering a career in counselling. It also aims to offer opportunities to stimulate networking and knowledge sharing among counsellors in Scotland. Visit www.greenwoodevents.co.uk for more information.