Dr. Yordan Zhekov, PhD, MSc, MTh, MA, BTh
Watford Community Church
The Wellspring Church Centre
1 Wellspring Way
01923 444592 / 07875 413164
“It isn’t events that upset us, but our interpretation of those events.” Epictitus (Greek philosopher)
“…our thoughts, our emotions, our behaviour and therefore, our mental health are largely dependent on our understanding of the world, our thoughts about ourselves, other people, the future, and the world.” Peter Kinderman (Professor of Clinical Psychology at the University of Liverpool)
What is counselling?
In light of the above notions counselling is to provide a non-judgemental and supportive environment for interpreting your story and understanding its relation to the world to equip you successfully for their management. This is the simplest formulation of the counselling which I would like to offer for dealing together with whatever challenges you are facing and facilitate environment to empower you to overcome them successfully.
How can counselling help?
It is a challenging world – our place of life where our abilities to cope and manage are tested daily. The diversity of contexts, stressful situations, complex relationships, personal dilemmas and social turbulence constantly take from us our mental and emotional energy with the demands for appropriate responses. The search for consistent peace and balance inwardly and outwardly can be helped through the process of an effective counselling. This is my offer to you.
How can I help?
I am a professional and compassionate counsellor with an extensive higher education background in the fields of psychology, counselling and theology. Being a qualified and accredited counsellor with speciality in addictions I offer a variety of services to address the needs of the individual living in a complex and highly demanding world.
I am an accredited counsellor and member of the Federation of Drug and Alcohol Practitioners (FDAP) as well as an accredited member of the Association of Christian Counsellors (ACC) and part of the ACC accredited register audit by the Professional Standards Authority. I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I am also a member of the Substance Misuse Management Good Practice (SMMGP). Being a member of these professional bodies I follow their code of practice and ethical standards. I fulfil the requirements of these organisations being insured, having regular clinical supervisions and continue in professional development. I am also registered with the Information Commissioner's Office for the data protection of my clients.
I have more than 7 years of experience as a counsellor. Presently I am working as a freelance counsellor, personal coach and trainer (you may want to check my website for further details on the variety of services I offer). I am also a volunteer counsellor at CGL (Change, Grow, Live), Spectrum, Hertfordshire Drug and Alcohol Recovery Services.
I am an integrative counsellor and as such using compilation of therapeutic methods relevant to the personal needs of the individual providing an environment for enablement and empowerment to achievement of the individual goals and personal growth. I am progressing successfully with a research project for the development of innovative psychotherapeutic model, conscience therapy, to facilitate effective recovery from addictions. The first part of the project is already completed and published. You may read more about it on my website.
What should I expect from our sessions?
Counselling sessions will provide a safe and empowering environment to rebuild and transform oneself through the discussions. An integrative approach is undertaken in order to address the needs of every individual. A personal plan is prepared in a mutual agreement and through the psychotherapeutic work a journey of its fulfilment is undertaken. The goal is to equip the person with the relevant resources to manage effectively the current situation and resolve the impact from the past negative experiences.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctor of Science (DSc) (Theology)/Summa Cum Laude/. University of Ljubljana. Catholic Faculty of Theology, Ljubljana, Slovenia. (2006)
- Master in Professional Studies – Health (MProf).Psychological, psychotherapeutic and counselling dynamics in exploring treatment development for drug and alcohol support services. Middlesex University, London. This is presently in progress and is to be completed in 2018.
- Master of Science in Addiction Psychology and Counselling (MSc) /Merit/. London South Bank University, London, England. (2012)
- Post-Graduate Research in New Testament Studies. University of Oxford. Faculty of Theology. Oxford Theological Exchange Program, Oxford, England. (2003)
- Master of Arts in Biblical Studies (MA) /Distinction/. University of Leeds & Oxford Centre for Mission Studies. Leeds & Oxford, England. (2001)
- Master of Theology (MTh) /Summa Cum Laude/. Evangelical Theological Seminary. Osijek, Croatia. (1999)
- Bachelor of Theology (BTh) /Summa Cum Laude/. Evangelical Theological Seminary. Osijek, Croatia. (1997)
- Three Year Diploma in Bible and Theology. Sofia Bible Institute. Sofia, Bulgaria. (1995)
- Registration Certificate. Registrant on the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (MBACP). August 2017.
- National Counsellor Accreditation Certificate (NCAC). The Federation of Drug & Alcohol Practitioners (FDAP) and the Substance Misuse Management Good Practice (SMMGP). Accredited on 11/11/2014. Renewed on 11/11/2017.
- Certificate of Registration. Registered Counsellor Member. The Association of Christian Counsellor (ACC). Professional Standard Authority. Renewed on September 2017.
- Pearson Edexcel Level 5 NVQ Diploma in Management (QCF). Oaklands College. Awarded: May 2014.
CERTIFICATES AND CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Understanding depression and low mood in young people. University of Reading. Future Learn. 11/12/17-14/01/18.
- Sexual addiction and compulsivity: what are the issues? Webinar organised by SMMGP/FDAP. 09th January 2018.
- Novel Psychoactive Substances: sharing prison and community experiences and good practice. Webinar organised by SMMGP/FDAP. 5th October 2017.
- The Foundation for Infant Loss Accredited Provider Training Course. FEDANT Accredited Course. ACA Recognized Professional Development. 1 October 2017.
- Essential Supervision Skills. SDS Seminars Ltd. Certificate in Clinical Supervision approved by the BPS (British Psychological Society), the only UK psychology and psychotherapy body established by Royal Charter and one of the primary national leads in determining national recommendation on clinical supervision across a range of groups. 7th and 8th of June, 2017.
- Working with Behavioural Addiction (Gambling).Webinar organised by SMMGP. 01/06/17.
- Mindfulness for Wellbeing and Peak Performance. Monash University. Future Learn. 06/02/17-19/03/17.
- Psychology and Mental Health. University of Liverpool. Future Learn. 6 week course completed on 25/12/16.
- Food as Medicine. Monash University. Future Learn. 24/10/16- 3/11/16.
- Nutrition and Wellbeing. University of Aberdeen. Future Learn. 05/09/16-02/10/16.
- Understanding Anxiety, Depression and CBT. University of Reading. Future Learn. 5 week course completed on 27/08/16.
- Stress Management (Managers) Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 16/08/16.
- Health and Wellbeing Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 12/08/16.
- Psychologically Informed Environments. Homeless link. 19/07/16.
- Trauma Informed Care (Introduction to complex trauma & trauma informed care). Homeless link. 29/07/16.
- Communication Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 27/05/16.
- Mental Health Legislation Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions. 25/05/16.
- Understanding Drugs and Addiction. Kings College London. Future Learn. 14/03/16 -17/04/16.
- Drug and Alcohol Awareness. Drug Link. Specialist Substance Misuse Services. 02/03/2016
- Listening Skills and Motivational Interviewing. Recovery Integration Training Education. 24 September 2015.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am a published author in the fields of psychology, counselling and theology. I have published several books and articles. Two of my latest books are Defining the New Testament Logia on Divorce and Remarriage in a Pluralistic Context (2009) and Conscience in Recovery from Alcohol Addiction: Exploring the Role of Spirituality in Conscientious Transformation (2013). If you are interested you may read some of the available articles on my website. Presently I am doing Professional Masters with Middlesex University in the field of psychology, psychotherapy, counselling and addictions.
Fee per one hour (50 min) clinical supervision session is £50. Initial session is half price (£25).
Fee per one hour (50 min) one-to-one session is £50. Initial session is half price (£25).
Fee per one hour (50 min) couple counselling is £75. Initial session is half price (£37.50)
Fee and time for group counselling session are negotiable.
For further details on prices for other support services please visit my website at www.counselling.company
The counselling location is very close to Watford high street station and has a possibility for parking if required. The facilities provide access for those with mobility issues. Please feel free to contact me to book an appointment or if you have any questions.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Bulgarian, Croatian, Serbian|
I am flexible in regards to appointment days and hours. Please contact me to discuss desirable days and times.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Clinical supervision is an important part of my practice.