Dr. Yordan Zhekov, PhD, MProf, MSc, MTh, MA, BTh
Whatever your situation I'm here to help!
Are you feeling depressed, anxious, stressed or struggling with everyday life? Perhaps you are experiencing feelings you can't quite identify? Are you looking for help with various life challenging issues/situations? Have you got to the point where you can't go on alone and need someone else to help you? Whatever you are facing you no longer have to do this alone, I am here to provide you with relevant support and address your needs.
“It isn’t events that upset us, but our interpretation of those events.” Epictitus (Greek philosopher)
“…our thoughts, our emotions, our behaviour and therefore, our mental health are largely dependent on our understanding of the world, our thoughts about ourselves, other people, the future, and the world.” Peter Kinderman (Professor of Clinical Psychology at the University of Liverpool)
What is counselling?
In light of the above notions counselling is to provide a non-judgemental and supportive environment for interpreting your story and understanding its relation to the world to equip you successfully for their management. This is the simplest formulation of the counselling which I would like to offer for dealing together with whatever challenges you are facing and facilitate environment to empower you to overcome them successfully.
How can counselling help?
It is a challenging world – our place of life where our abilities to cope and manage are tested daily. The diversity of contexts, stressful situations, complex relationships, personal dilemmas and social turbulence constantly take from us our mental and emotional energy with the demands for appropriate responses. The search for consistent peace and balance inwardly and outwardly can be helped through the process of an effective counselling. This is my offer to you.
How can I help?
I am a professional and compassionate counsellor with an extensive higher education background in the fields of psychology, counselling and theology. Being a qualified and accredited counsellor with speciality in addictions I offer a variety of services to address the needs of the individual living in a complex and highly demanding world.
I am an accredited counsellor and member of the Federation of Drug and Alcohol Practitioners (FDAP) as well as a registered counselling member, accredited supervisor of the Association of Christian Counsellors (ACC) and part of the ACC accredited register audit by the Professional Standards Authority. I am a registered member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). I am also a member of the Substance Misuse Management Good Practice (SMMGP). Being a member of these professional bodies I follow their code of practice and ethical standards. I fulfil the requirements of these organisations being insured, having regular clinical supervisions and continue in professional development. I am also registered with the Information Commissioner's Office for the data protection of my clients.
I have more than 8 years of experience as a counsellor. Presently I am working as a freelance counsellor, personal coach and trainer (you may want to check my website for further details on the variety of services I offer). I have been working as a volunteer counsellor in Signpost Watford. Charity which provides counselling, coaching and other support to young people and Hertfordshire Drug and Alcohol Recovery Services, Spectrum.
I am an integrative counsellor and as such using compilation of therapeutic methods relevant to the personal needs of the individual providing an environment for enablement and empowerment to achievement of the individual goals and personal growth. I am the developer of Conscience Therapy, a life transformative modality for treatment of addiction and other health conditions. I have written several books among which Defining the New Testament Logia on Divorce and Remarriage in a Pluralistic Context (2009), Conscience in Recovery from Alcohol Addiction: Exploring the Role of Spirituality in Conscientious Transformation (2013) and Conscience in Recovery from Drug Addiction: A Theoretical and Empirical Study of Spiritual Conscientious Transformation for the Formulation of Conscience Therapy (2019).
What should I expect from our sessions?
Counselling sessions will provide a safe and empowering environment to rebuild and transform oneself through the discussions. An integrative approach is undertaken in order to address the needs of every individual. A personal plan is prepared in a mutual agreement and through the psychotherapeutic work a journey of its fulfilment is undertaken. The goal is to equip the person with the relevant resources to manage effectively the current situation and resolve the impact from the past negative experiences.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctor of Science (DSc) (Theology)/Summa Cum Laude/. University of Ljubljana. Catholic Faculty of Theology, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- Master in Professional Studies – Health (MProf). Psychological, psychotherapeutic and counselling dynamics in exploring treatment development for drug and alcohol services. Middlesex University, London.
- Master of Science in Addiction Psychology and Counselling (MSc) /Merit/. London South Bank University, London, England.
- Registrant on the BACP Register of Counsellors and Psychotherapists (MBACP).
- National Counsellor Accreditation Certificate (NCAC). The Federation of Drug & Alcohol Practitioners (FDAP) and the Substance Misuse Management Good Practice (SMMGP). Accredited on 11/11/2014.
- Certificate of Registration. Registered Counsellor Member, Accredited Supervisor. The Association of Christian Counsellor (ACC). Professional Standard Authority.
CERTIFICATES AND CONTINUOUS PROFESSIONAL TRAINING
- Sexual addiction and compulsivity: what are the issues? Webinar organised by SMMGP/FDAP.
- The Foundation for Infant Loss Accredited Provider Training Course. FEDANT Accredited Course. ACA Recognized Professional Development.
- Working with Behavioural Addiction (Gambling).Webinar organised by SMMGP.
- Mindfulness for Wellbeing and Peak Performance. Monash University. Future Learn.
- Psychology and Mental Health. University of Liverpool. Future Learn. 6 week course completed on
- Understanding Anxiety, Depression and CBT. University of Reading. Future Learn. 5 week course.
- Stress Management (Managers) Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions.
- Trauma Informed Care (Introduction to complex trauma & trauma-informed care). Homeless link.
- Mental Health Legislation Interactive. World Class Health and Safety Solutions.
- Understanding Drugs and Addiction. Kings College London. Future Learn.
- Essential Supervision Skills. SDS Seminars Ltd. Certificate in Clinical Supervision approved by the BPS (British Psychological Society), the only UK psychology and psychotherapy body established by Royal Charter and one of the primary national leads in determining national recommendation on clinical supervision across a range of groups.
Training for working with young people
- Young People and Their Mental Health. The University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen and University of Cambridge. Future Learn.
- Understanding depression and low mood in young people. University of Reading. Future Learn.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I am a published author in the fields of psychology, counselling and theology. I have published several books and articles. Two of my latest books are Defining the New Testament Logia on Divorce and Remarriage in a Pluralistic Context (2009) and Conscience in Recovery from Alcohol Addiction: Exploring the Role of Spirituality in Conscientious Transformation (2013). If you are interested you may read some of the available articles on my website. Presently I am doing Professional Masters with Middlesex University in the field of psychology, psychotherapy, counselling and addictions.
Fee per one hour (50 min) clinical supervision session is £50. Initial session is half price (£25).
Fee per one hour (50 min) one-to-one session is £50. Initial session is half price (£25).
Fee per one hour (50 min) couple counselling is £75. Initial session is half price (£37.50)
Fee and time for group counselling session are negotiable.
For further details on prices for other support services please visit my website at www.counselling.company
The counselling location is very close to Watford high street station and has a possibility for parking if required. The facilities provide access for those with mobility issues. Please feel free to contact me to book an appointment or if you have any questions.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Bulgarian, Croatian, Serbian|
I am flexible in regards to appointment days and hours. Please contact me to discuss desirable days and times.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
Clinical supervision is an important part of my practice.