Wendy Summers Registered Psychotherapist UKCP, Counsellor BACP (Reg), Supervisor
7 Mill Street
Combe Down Surgery
(Sulis Manor Road Surgery)
Sulis Manor Road
I practice from therapy rooms in: Bath, Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon & Frome.
- Skilled and compassionate humanistic psychotherapist, counsellor, supervisor, senior occupational therapist. Special interest in Gestalt therapy, with 30 years experience of working as a therapist, in a wide range of settings.
- My style is active and involved
- I enjoy working in-depth therapeutically
- I communicate with clients in a clear and direct way without jargon or theorising, in a spirit of authenticity and kindness
- I greatly value warmth, creativity and imagination
- I am passionate about my work and have a social conscience
I have enjoyed a full and rich life myself and have encountered many significant challenges along the way! I, therefore, have a wealth of life experience to draw upon.
I endeavour to ‘live in good faith with myself’ (being true to myself) whilst enjoying supporting others to do the same.
I believe life is full of both joy and pain:
'We must decide if we want to stay where we are or if we want to get to the other side of pain and live a full and purposeful life. That’s how you find the joy' (G Aldred).
In order to 'get to the other side' we require, amongst other factors, good awareness of ourselves and others (needs, wishes, fears and life dreams), acceptance and respect. Fundamental to forming and maintaining fulfilling relationships.
The therapy I offer provides the opportunity for increasing self-awareness, in the context of an accepting and supportive relationship with myself as your therapist. I help facilitate my client's ability to make informed, wise life choices.
I provide a safe space and therapeutic help in order for you and your partner:
- to complete and resolve unfinished disputes and conflicts in a healthy and respectful way,
- to fully express your unmet needs, dreams and desires to each other
to develop greater emotional/relational literacy
- to gain deeper awareness around the fundamental dynamics within your relationship which is potentially life-changing for you and your family.
'Find joy in everything you choose to do. Every job, relationship, home... it's your responsibility to love it, or change it.'
How I deliver therapy
Time-limited and long-term face-to-face counselling/psychotherapy, telephone counselling, Video: via FaceTime.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Humanistic Psychotherapy, 2005, Sherwood Psychotherapy Training Institute, (United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy: accredited course),
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling, 1995, University of Bristol, (British Association for Counselling: accredited course)
- Diploma in Occupational Therapy, 1987 (London School of Occupational Therapy)
I am an experienced and qualified psychotherapist, counsellor and occupational therapist. I have been working therapeutically with individuals, couples and groups within a broad range of clinical settings, within the National Health Service (and Health Services in Australia), for over thirty years; including employment as: psychotherapist, counsellor and Mental Health case manager, within a GP practice for over a decade.
I have worked with hundreds of counselling/psychotherapy clients in supervised practice. I am particularly interested in developing my work with couples. 17 years of specialist experience as a therapist working with people experiencing long-term pain (ongoing), within an NHS Pain Clinic.
Experience of teaching and managing therapists, working as a freelance consultant employed by a Primary Care Trust: representing counsellors in primary care - NHS counselling/therapy services.
Private practice: 13 years experience, Providing: counselling, psychotherapy, clinical supervision to qualified/trainee therapists and team building for NHS professionals. Facilitating an ongoing counselling supervision group for counsellor's at the University of Bath. Contracts with Employment Assistance Providers e.g. providing therapy to BBC employees.
I am registered with United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) as a clinical psychotherapist (humanistic). Registered member of British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP). Previously a BACP accredited counsellor/psychotherapist for 11 years, currently in the process of reinstating my accreditation status, following a sabbatical (raising children). Registered with Health Care Professions Council (HCPC): Senior Occupational Therapist.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I specialise in Long Term (chronic) Pain
Individual Counselling/Psychotherapy (Weekly/regular): £42(weekdays), £45 (Saturdays) per 50 minute session.
Couples-relational therapy: £48 per 60 minute session
Clinical supervision for qualified counsellors and psychotherapists: £42(weekdays), £45 (Saturdays) per 50 minute session.
Clinical supervision - counselling/psychotherapy students in training: £40 per 50 minute session
I have a few concession spaces (day time), feel free to ask me if I currently have availability
*Fees payable at the end of each session, please.
When you contact me by telephone or email, we will speak in full confidence. If I think I may be able to help you we can book an initial appointment. This initial session is a opportunity for me to begin to understand you and your situation and it gives you time to become acquainted with me, so you can consider if the way I work is right for you.
If we both decide to proceed with counselling/psychotherapy we will book an agreed number of regular sessions, after which we can review. I subscribe to the codes of ethics of UKCP and BACP.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
BA2 2AL: Wednesday afternoons only. Trowbridge, Bradford on Avon and Frome (also FaceTime/telephone counselling): weekdays, evenings and Saturdays.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|