I work as an integrative humanistic counsellor/psychotherapist, now in private practice, after ten years in the voluntary sector. I offer a safe, confidential and accepting space for you to bring your difficult feelings and worries, whatever they may be. You are welcome here.
How it works: Counselling can be an opportunity to explore your thoughts and feelings and express yourself safely. You are invited to share your difficulties, dilemmas and experiences in a way that makes you feel heard and understood, without criticism, advice or pressure; a space for you to gain insight, and to face your uncertainties and challenges with less fear.
I offer a variety of ideas from other psychotherapeutic approaches, to help you explore and understand your feelings. These include person centred principles; body, mind, behaviour connections; relaxation techniques; relationship dynamics; personal, social and historic context. Other imaginative ways to explore issues can also be offered.
I cannot offer any "magical" solutions; but I can respectfully support the person you are, and hope to help you become more self accepting. This is a life long and challenging journey, but you will be "held" throughout, with emotional kindness and empathy.
I adhere to the ethical guidelines of my professional body, attend regular supervision, and enjoy personal and professional development sessions to enhance my practice.
What to do next:
You can phone or email me to set up an appointment; my details are available on this website. I check my work phone regularly but need to know if it's ok for me to phone you back, or to leave a message. Please do not leave personal details and remember to protect your privacy.
The First Session:
The first session involves getting to know each other a little, and includes:
- What you hope to gain from our sessions.
- A general lifestyle/wellbeing assessment.
- Signing a written agreement about confidentiality, and exclusions to this.
- How I practice/what to expect.
- Deciding when we can meet and frequency.
- Payment and cancellation policy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Professional Diploma in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy. The Academy: Sheffield Psychotherapy and Counselling Education, S.P.A.C.E.)
- Foundations of Counselling: The Academy: S.P.A.C.E.
- Cruse Bereavement Care Course
- Cruse Bereavement Groupwork Course
- Domestic Abuse Awareness Course. Pathways Family Support Centre.
- Relationship Counselling Course: Ian Wallace
- N.H.S. Staff Support Services
- Psychodramatic Bodywork (R) Courses: Jonathan Salisbury (Susan Aaron©)
- Registered General Nurse and Midwife.
- Enhanced D.B.S. certificate
- Accredited Member of National Counselling Society. MNCS (Accred)
- Professional and Public Liability Insurance.(P.P.S.)
- Online Institute Short course online counselling certificate.
In addition to my years in counselling, I have a wealth of life and professional healthcare experience to offer, have a good sense of humour and really enjoy counselling work.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
National Counselling Society
The National Counselling Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I believe that a good client: counsellor relationship can be therapeutic in most "cases", of human distress whatever the condition/diagnosis attributed to the problem/symptoms. Given the vast array of challenges that beset most of us at some time during our lives, it is inevitable that our distress sometimes needs a supportive hand.
£40.00 per session
Concessions offered for
I offer 60 minute telephone or zoom sessions at £40.00 per session, payable by direct bank transfer in advance.
I am only offering telephone or video counselling at present. Agreements and consent forms are usually completed by email Please ignore the grid above; I work flexibly!
- Different beliefs/ religious systems.
- Yoga Practices