I work as an integrative counsellor, currently in private practice, after ten years in the voluntary sector. I tailor my approach according to the need of the individual, some of which I describe below, and am happy to discuss requests for a specific “style” or focus.
How it works:
Talking to an objective, but empathic therapist in a confidential setting, is often very helpful.Counselling can be an opportunity to clarify your thoughts, feelings and beliefs and express your emotions safely and appropriately.Please don't worry if you're not clear what the issue may be; this is an opportunity to tell your difficulties, dilemmas and experiences, whatever they may be, in a way that makes you feel heard and understood, without criticism, advice or pressure.
I can offer a variety of ideas drawn from other psychotherapeutic practices, to help you explore and share your feelings further. These include the roles and views you hold of yourself, body, mind and behaviour connections, relaxation techniques, family attachment dynamics, social context, relationships, and the chance to discover a different perspective on the issues you bring.
I cannot offer any "magical" solutions; rather, I can support the person you are, and hope to help you rediscover your unique and special self, together with your inner strengths and resilience.
I adhere to the ethical guidelines of my professional body, attend regular supervision, and enjoy personal and professional development sessions to enhance my practice.
What to do next:
You can phone or email me to set up an appointment. The details to do so are available on this website. Please note that I check my work phone regularly and need to know if it's ok for me to phone you back, or leave a message.
The First Session:
The first session involves getting to know each other a little, and includes:
- What you hope to gain from our sessions.
- A general lifestyle/wellbeing assessment.
- Signing a written agreement about confidentiality, and exclusions to this.
- How I practice/what to expect.
- Deciding when we can meet and frequency.
- Payment and cancellation policy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Professional Diploma in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy. The Academy: Sheffield Psychotherapy and Counselling Education, S.P.A.C.E.)
- Foundations of Counselling: The Academy: S.P.A.C.E.
- Cruse Bereavement Care Course
- Cruse Bereavement Groupwork Course
- Domestic Abuse Awareness Course. Pathways Family Support Centre.
- N.H.S. Staff Support Services
- Psychodramatic Bodywork (R) Courses: Jonathan Salisbury (Susan Aaron©)
- Registered General Nurse and Midwife.
- Enhanced D.B.S. certificate
- Accredited Member of National Counselling Society. MNCS (Accred)
- Professional and Public Liability Insurance.(P.P.S.)
- Online Institute Short course online counselling certificate.
In addition to my years in counselling, I have a wealth of life and professional healthcare experience to offer, have a good sense of humour and really enjoy counselling work.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
National Counselling Society
The National Counselling Society
This Not For Profit association of counsellors and psychotherapists aim to support the counselling profession, members and training organisations.
In 2013 the NCS register was accredited by the Professional Standards Authority under the Accredited Voluntary Register Scheme. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
During the present coronavirus pandemic, I am offering 50 minute telephone or video sessions at £35.00 per session, payable by bank transfer only.
- Different beliefs/ religious systems.