Sutherland Psychotherapy & Counselling MBACP
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently
verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.
Hi, I provide a welcoming space to help you explore personal issues and feelings, in order to gain confidence, to look at things clearly and where necessary, make change.
I work with individual adults, teens and those in relationship.
Offering a private confidential counselling and psychotherapy service I can support you at your most difficult and emotional times.
As well as using Person Centred Counselling, I like to work with clients creatively with journalling and art techniques, mindfully using somatic mindfulness, creative expression and creative visualization.
How can Psychotherapy & Counselling help you?
People go through challenging times in their lives which create emotions like sadness, stress, anger, guilt, shame, or feeling overwhelmed. Counselling can give you a talking space to explore what is really going on inside. Some people get trapped in a cycle of negative thinking and counselling can help them turn these thoughts into a more positive way of thinking and behaving. We can also explore how your past might be affecting your behaviour today if you feel able and ready to do this.
The amount of counselling sessions is dependent on the client. For some, short term work helps them to move forward quickly whilst others benefit from longer term help. I can help with a range of issues including anxiety, depression, relationship issues, self esteem, loss & bereavement, stress, post abortion and those feeling generally overwhelmed with life.
How I work with you
Counselling & Psychotherapy provide an opportunity for you to talk in a way which explores what is going on in your life and helps you to work towards change.
Each session lasts 50 minutes, ideally on a regular day and time per week in my safe, confidential space where you can speak about the issues which are affecting you without feeling judged.
I'd like to develop a trusting counselling relationship which enables you to identify your needs. I offer adult and young people to talk on the telephone or one-on-one face-to-face counselling and can offer zoom/email/phone counselling where wanted.
Our first meeting will be an opportunity for you to decide whether I am the right counsellor to help you. We will be able to discuss how I work and what your expectations of your counselling are. I will be interested in finding out a little more about you and your reasons for seeking counselling at this time. No obligation to continue.
Ethics and Regulating Governing Body - I am a registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) which is the UK regulating governing body for safe practice. I adhere to their Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Currently working with clients in Moray and Inverness, Scottish Highlands.
- Psychotherapist in private practice in Dee Street, Aberdeen and Thainstone Business Centre, Inverurie.
- First Psychology, Senior Counsellor & Psychotherapist, Aberdeen & Dundee
- Post graduate Diploma in Person Centred Counselling
– validated by COSCA (Counselling & Psychotherapy in Scotland) University of Aberdeen
- Registered Member of British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (MBACP)
- COSCA Counselling Skills Certificate Modules 1-4 – University of Aberdeen
- AVENUE Counselling & Mediation & Practice Manager - Member of Relationships Scotland
- Practice Counsellor GP Practice, Alford Medical Practice, Aberdeenshire
- Practice Counsellor GP Practice - Bellfield Road Practice, Banchory, Aberdeen-shire
- Practice Counsellor GP Practice - Southside Road Surgery, Southside Road, Inverness
- University of Aberdeen - Associate Counsellor at the University's Counselling Service
- Inverurie Wellness Centre - Counsellor in private practice
- Elgin Chiropractic Clinic - Counsellor and Homeopath.
- Inverurie Chiropractic Clinic - Counsellor and Homeopath.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Inner Child Therapy
- Life Coaching and Business Coaching
- Transformational change
- Life Coaching
- Spiritual Counselling & guidance
- Abuse (childhood or adult)
- Addiction (of any type)
- Angry feelings
- Anxiety, stress, compulsive worrying
- Bullying (school, home, workplace)
- Death and Dying
- Developmental disorders (autism, aspergers)
- Disability or Ill-health
- Disordered eating
- Existential issues
- Health anxiety
- Identity issues
- Low self-confidence/ self-esteem
- Loss (bereavement, divorce, redundancy, separation issues, etc)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Panic attacks and phobias
- Relationship issues (past or present)
- Suicidal thoughts and feelings
- Transitions (through adolescence, mid-life, redundancy, etc)
- Trauma (childhood or adult)
- Work related stress
£55.00 per session
Concessions offered for
£55 adult for a 50 minute session
Daytime, Evening and Saturday Appointments.
Telephone, face to face and zoom and email appointments.
I take referrals from agencies and your GP .
Please call and leave voicemail or text on 07769 730054. I shall reply as soon as I can.
When I work
Emergency appointments available.
If struggling and unemployed I can offer a discounted rate.
- Member of BACP British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Police Scotland checked and verified
- Professional Indemnity and Professional Liability Insurance
- Receiving regular monthly Supervision from experienced and registered BACP member.
- I specialize in child and teen therapy and relationship counselling and offer separation counselling and mediation for separating couples and families therapy.
- Also those with illness and terminal illness and the bereaved. To support relatives and families and friends (including young carers) who would like space to talk things over and gain helpful strategies to understand and work with what life challenge they are up against.