Valerie Sutherland, Psychotherapy & Counselling, PGDip, MBACP, CBT, EMDR
Hi, I provide a welcoming space to help you explore personal issues and feelings, in order to gain confidence, to look at things clearly and where necessary, make appropriate change.
I work with Individuals, those in relationship, families and children. Offering a private confidential counselling service I can support you at your most difficult and emotional times.
As well as using Person Centred Counselling, CBT (Cognitive Based Therapy), EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing for trauma removal) I like to work creatively and mindfully using mindfulness, creative expression and creative visualization.
How can Psychotherapy & Counselling help you? - Many people go through challenging times in their lives which create all manner of emotions like sadness, stress, anger, guilt, shame, or feeling overwhelmed. Counselling can give you a talking space to explore what is really going on inside. Some people get trapped in a cycle of negative thinking and counselling can help them turn these thoughts into a more positive way of thinking and behaving. We can also explore how your past might be affecting your behaviour today if you feel able and ready to do this.
The amount of counselling sessions is dependent on the client. For some, short term work helps them to move forward quickly whilst others benefit from longer term help. I can help with a range of issues including anxiety, depression, relationship issues, self esteem, loss & bereavement, stress, post abortion and those feeling generally overwhelmed with life.
How I work with you
Counselling & Psychotherapy provide an opportunity for you to talk in a way which explores what is going on in your life and helps you to work towards change.
Each session lasts around 60 minutes, ideally on a regular day and time per week in my safe, confidential space where you can speak about the issues which are affecting you without feeling judged.
I'd like to develop a trusting counselling relationship which enables you to identify your needs. I offer adult and young people one-on-one face-to-face counselling and can offer skype/email/phone counselling where wanted.
Our first meeting will be an opportunity for you to decide whether I am the right counsellor to help you. We will be able to discuss how I work and what your expectations of your counselling are. I will be interested in finding out a little more about you and your reasons for seeking counselling at this time. No obligation to continue.
Ethics and Regulating Governing Body - I am a registered member of the BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) which is the UK regulating governing body for safe practice. I adhere to their Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Working in private practice at Healing Space, Thainstone Business Centre, AB51.
- Working in private practice in Dee Street Aberdeen.
- First Psychology, Senior Counsellor & Psychotherapist, Aberdeen & Dundee
- Post graduate Diploma in Counselling – validated by COSCA (Counselling & Psychotherapy in Scotland) University of Aberdeen
- Registered Member of British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy (MBACP)
- COSCA Counselling Skills Certificate Modules 1-4 – University of Aberdeen
- AVENUE Counselling & Mediation - Member of Relationships Scotland
- Practice Counsellor GP Practice, Alford Medical Practice, Aberdeenshire
- Practice Counsellor GP Practice - Bellfield Road Practice, Banchory, Aberdeen-shire
- Practice Counsellor GP Practice - Southside Road Surgery, Southside Road, Inverness
- University of Aberdeen - Associate Counsellor at the University's Counselling Service
- Inverurie Wellness Centre - Counsellor in private practice
- Elgin Chiropractic Clinic - Counsellor and Homeopath.
- Inverurie Chiropractic Clinic - Counsellor and Homeopath.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Inner Child Therapy
Spiritual Counselling & guidance
Abuse (childhood or adult)
Addiction (of any type)
Anxiety, stress, compulsive worrying
Bullying (school, home, workplace)
Developmental disorders (autism, aspergers)
Disability or Ill-health
Low self-confidence/ self-esteem
Loss (bereavement, divorce, redundancy, separation issues, etc)
Obsessive compulsive disorder
Panic attacks and phobias
Relationship issues (past or present)
Suicidal thoughts and feelings
Transitions (through adolescence, mid-life, redundancy, etc)
Trauma (childhood or adult)
Work related stress
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Compassion-Focused Therapy
- Couples counselling
Photos & videos
£50 per session
Daytime, Evening and Saturday Appointments
EAP enquiries welcome
I also take referrals from agencies and your GP .
Please call me and leave voicemail or text on 07769730054
Or fill in the contact form on www.sutherlandpsychotherapy.co.uk
- Police Scotland checked and verified
- Professional Indemnity and Professional Liability Insurance
- Receiving regular monthly Supervision from experienced and registered BACP member.
- I specialize in individual and relationship counselling and offer separation counselling and mediation for separating couples and families therapy.
- Also those with illness and terminal illness and the bereaved. To support relatives and families and friends (including young carers) who would like space to talk things over and gain helpful strategies to understand and work with what life challenge they are up against.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Wheelchair accessible, please state this is required at time of booking. Parking and Reception area. Toilet facilities.
Monday - Friday 08.00 - 20.00
Saturday 10.00 -16.00
Emergency appointments usually available
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|