Umberto Crisanti, BABCP (Accred): Psychotherapist and CBT Supervisor
Welcome to my CBT, Psychotherapy & Counselling Practice
Curious about starting therapy? Watch my video about my counselling practice:
Psychotherapist, BABCP Supervisor and Independent Researcher. Affiliated with the NHS, Universal Scientific Education and Research Network (USERN) & Trauma clinics.
I am a qualified Psychologist and Cognitive Constructivist Psychotherapist in Italy and a qualified CBT High-Intensity Therapist and Supervisor accredited with BABCP in the UK.
I am trained in a broad range of therapeutic approaches, my extensive studies have enabled me to create a flexible style of working to meet individual client needs, making use of Integrative Counselling, CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy), CFS (Compassion Focused Therapy) and Mindfulness.
I work in private practice in Canterbury (England) or remotely via the internet.
I adhere to the professional and ethical codes set out by the professional bodies of which I am an accredited member, for example, you can be assured of complete client confidentiality.
What to expect from your first therapy appointment
When I receive an enquiry by email, I will reply as soon as possible. We can then arrange a time that is mutually convenient to meet for our first session, where we can explore what brings you to therapy and work together to devise a suitable treatment if you wish.
Accepted Insurance Plans
Using Compassion Focused Therapy in a Frantic World, here's what professionals said about my last workshop:
Areas of Specialism
Complex trauma/Childhood Trauma/Abuse/PTSD
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
Borderline personality disorder
Life transition difficulties
I believe that therapy:
- is an encounter between two equal, sentient beings
- is a collaboration between them, in a safe confidential space
- can bring about a process of positive change
- works effectively with a compassionate, empathic and attentive therapist, who empowers his clients to examine their experiences and re-organise their thoughts.
I think that identities can be discovered layer by layer through self-reflection in therapy and mindfulness, find my video here:
I believe that people have an innate strength and resources to effect real change in their lives and that with guidance, they can be re-enabled to find their way forward through issues such as depression, anxiety, stress, psychosomatic problems and other emotional difficulties such as PTSD, traumatic experiences, low self-esteem, eating disorders, OCD etc.
"This is helping me to get my head in order, if my head is not in order then I don’t know what I am doing. This is leading me to organise my thoughts, it makes me feel looked after and you are helping me to understand, it is an intellectual discussion in which I discover more about myself and my thoughts. It seems that I am teaching you about me, and you taking a genuine interest in me. I liked it when you asked “can you help me to understand this?” and you waited for me to think through it, instead of jumping to conclusions, unlike what happens when I talk to other people..."
I offer clinical supervision to CBT therapists (including trainees) and Counsellors,
Why Reflective Practice?
I believe that as important as methods may be, the most practical thing we can achieve in any kind of work is an insight into what is happening inside us as we do it.
Training, qualifications & experience
Umberto Crisanti qualified as a psychologist in 2004 in Italy, he then trained for a further 4 years and qualified as Cognitive Constructivist Psychotherapist. He moved to the UK and trained to become accredited as a BABCP CBT Therapist. Umberto is particularly focused on the third wave of CBT and is devoted to developing a theoretical model which merges Dual-process Theories of Reasoning with Transactional Analysis and Compassion Focused Therapy. He is a strong believer that emotion is the mother of thinking and that love, understanding, validation and affection are like vitamins for the brain. Umberto feels indebted and grateful to Carl Rogers’ work and those who have collaborated with him and developed his research. Umberto is a self-actualised therapist and an independent researcher. He is affiliated with an NHS Trust where he offers CBT to adults with a wide range of emotional, cognitive behavioural and adjustments problems such as anxiety, stress, depression and relationship problems. As part of his NHS therapeutic work, Umberto has provided guidance to over 50 clinicians on suicide risk screening, assessments and treatments. He also collaborates with trauma clinics to treat PTSD and childhood trauma. Umberto is also a BABCP accredited supervisor and enjoys supporting clinicians in their personal and professional development as well are their reflective practice. Umberto practices mindfulness daily and likes to campaign for kindness in the workplace and in society. He is happily married and very lucky be the father of lovely twin girls. He is a proud geek who enjoys binge reading but can also be frequently found on a football pitch or practising the ancient art of Muay Thai.
I am a qualified Psychologist and Psychotherapist in Italy and a qualified CBT High Intensity Therapist and CBT supervisor accredited with BABCP in the UK.
• BABCP CBT High-Intensity Therapist and Supervisor. (Canterbury, 2013-at present).
Affiliated with an NHS Trust where he offers CBT to adults with a wide range of emotional, cognitive behavioural and adjustments problems such as anxiety, stress, depression and relationship problems. As part of his NHS therapeutic work, Umberto has provided guidance to over 50 clinicians on suicide risk screening, assessments and treatments. He also collaborates with trauma clinics to treat trauma and works in private practice in Canterbury (England) or remotely via the internet.
• Offer a wide variety of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction and Compassion Focussed Therapy programs to the public and healthcare professionals. (From January 2013)
• CBT High Intensity Therapist, (Canterbury, October 2010 to 2013).
Caseload of 23 patients per week in GP surgeries and KCA premises, treating a variety of severe depression and anxiety disorders. Undertook supervision, line management and team meetings as per KCA guidelines.
• Private practice. Via Uditore, Palermo (2008-December 2009)
Extensive experience with depression, anxiety, personality disorders, group psychotherapy, psycho diagnostics, consultation, program management; using the bio-psychosocial complex approach to provide individual support for children, adolescents, and their families. My model, bio-psycho-social oriented to the epistemology of the complexity, focuses primarily on attachment, parenting, social network, critical events, relationships and emotions. Psychological testing as appropriate. Use Mindfulness and cognitive-emotional-behavioral homework as appropriate. At my own premises, at clients’ homes.
• Specialization Internship, Secondary care, Villa Serena Hospital, (2007-2009)
Oncology hospital for adults diagnosed with severe emotional disturbance, and neurological illnesses.
• LTC certificate (Long term conditions and Medically Unexplained Symptoms), 2018
• CBT Supervisor, from March 2016.
• BABCP accreditation, from August 2012.
• MBCT (Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy), 2012.
• BPS, from 2009 to 2017
• Cognitive-Constructive Psychotherapist (Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychotherapy) December 2009.
• MSc Psychologist, Magna Cum Laude, University of Palermo, Italy, 2004.
• BSc in Psychology, University of Palermo, Italy, 2002.
• Specialization Course, methods of education intervention in children’s hospitalization, University of Palermo, 2004-2005.
• Safe Guarding Children, 2018
• Information Sharing, 2018
• Data Protection and Human Rights, 2018
• Common Assessment Framework (CAF), 2018
• Diversity and Discrimination, 2018
• What is the advantage of integrating Dual Process Theories and Compassion Focused Therapy? Is the merger a suitable framework to gain insight on thinking performances in psychotherapy? JOURNAL OF EVIDENCE-BASED PSYCHOTHERAPIES, 2019
• The paranoid personality disorder of the Servant Cavalier and his little crocodiles, Quaderni di psicoterapia cognitiva, 2011
• Dangerous worlds and the fragmented Self in Mr. Marco’s Panic Attacks, Quaderni di psicoterapia cognitiva, 2010
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists.
BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Areas of counselling I deal with
What are your fees?
-I charge £50 for 50 minutes.
-An additional £10 charge is made for appointments after 17:00 / weekends
These fees apply to self-referred clients, to clients referred by a GP, psychiatrist or other health professional.
£50 for 60 minutes