Tricia Butler - MBACP, Counselling, CBT & EFT at Clear Counselling NI
I am a professionally qualified and experienced counsellor, psychotherapist and cognitive behavioural therapist (CBT). I am also an Emotion Freedom Technique (EFT), (Tapping) Master Practitioner. In addition to this, I am experienced in providing emotional and practical family support.
Prior to counselling, my background was in people management in a number of large organisations. My success in these roles, together with the job satisfaction I gained through seeing people grow and flourish, set a good foundation for my career in counselling. I genuinely care about helping people feel better in order to live better. By offering the right support, at the right time, I work to help my clients move from surviving to thriving.
What I offer
- A confidential one-to-one counselling service to individual adults and teenagers
- Short-term counselling (typically 6 to 12 sessions) or longer-term psychotherapy
- Brief solution-focused therapy to support through crisis events
- EFT (Tapping) to individual adults, teenagers, children and to small groups
I also offer child-centred, interactive, workshop style sessions themed on Lego Based Therapy or the use of Movement to Feel Healthy and Happy.
Website coming soon.
My personal Approach
My counselling model is Humanistic and I practice as an Integrative Therapist, which means I am skilled across a range of counselling styles. My approach is holistic and my way of working is led by a careful understanding of my client’s individual needs. Each client is met with warmth, empathy, respect and compassion.
I work to help clients make sense of their circumstances. Often this could be helping them to adapt or adjust to challenging life events such as change or loss. Strengthening resilience is a core focus of my work, so too is empowerment.
I help my clients to define and prioritise their issues and encourage them to set goals so they can see progress being made. I will teach about the link between thoughts, behaviours and mood (CBT), emotional development will be explored by linking life events to age (Psychodynamic) and we will look at relationships (Transactional Analysis). I use mindfulness to encourage relaxation and I use EFT/Tapping to reduce all types of stress. How these are used over the course of counselling sessions depends on the individual client.
I share knowledge and resources with clients so they can develop tools to support themselves outside of and beyond the end of our counselling sessions.
My Professional Background and Experience
I provide counselling, CBT Therapy and EFT therapy in my private practice and in Action Cancer. I have 6 years experience of counselling in a busy GP Group Practice and I have previously worked for Contact/Lifeline.
I am experienced in working with a wide spectrum of issues: anxiety, depression, addiction, abuse (sexual & domestic), post-natal depression, birth trauma, miscarriage, infant loss, infertility, PTSD, OCD, chronic ill health, bereavement, pre-bereavement, complicated grief, suicidal ideation & behaviour, self-harm, relationship issues, identity issues, anger and many more. I am experienced in supporting older clients struggling with loneliness due to bereavement or retirement for example. I am experienced in supporting young adults with additional needs.
In Action Cancer I support individual adults whose lives have been impacted by cancer. This includes family members of those with a cancer diagnosis and those either bereaved or facing bereavement through cancer. This is a hugely rewarding environment to work in.
Through employment as a Parent Support Co-ordinator for a local established charity, I am experienced in family support work. I provided emotional and practical support to families with children affected by sight loss. I thoroughly enjoyed the diversity of this role.
My work experience and personal life experience has highlighted the pressing need for one-to-one emotional support for parents of children with different needs. These parents live with the same issues and stresses that any adult faces but they have the added stress that comes with raising a child or children with different needs. I can provide counselling that understands the support needs of those who care for children and young people with additional needs ranging from learning disability and physical disability through to sensory impairments and ASD.
Initial Contact/What to expect
- Clients can contact me via the email link above, by text or by mobile. I will then call you to make arrangements for our first meeting
- In our first appointment, we will talk about your needs and the counselling process. We will contract on how we will work together and agree the purpose, time, place and frequency of our sessions
- I work in both Templepatrick / Dunadry and in Antrim town. Both locations are discreet with good parking and are easily accessible to clients from Larne, Ballyclare and the wider Antrim area.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Registered Member of BACP
- University of Ulster – Foundation Degree in Counselling (L5) – Distinction
- Counselling & Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body (CPCAB) – (L5) – Diploma in CBT
- Guild of Energists – Accredited EFT Master Practitioner – Diploma
Training, Seminars and Conferences
- ASIST – Applied Suicide Intervention Training
- CiNI – Child Protection Training
- Mental Health First Aid – PHA
- Bereavement Awareness – Cruse
- Exploring Pre-Bereavement – SRH Counselling Services
- Understanding the Impact of Sexual Abuse - NEXUS
- Breaking the Silence on Sexual Abuse – NEXUS
- The Impact of Cancer on Children – Cancer Fund for Children
- Pregnancy Choices Counselling – FPA
- Substance Misuse & Prescription Misuse – ASCERT
- Types & Effects of Domestic Violence - Women's Aid
- Counselling Women affected by Domestic Violence – Women’s Aid
- An Integrated Systemic Approach to Trauma – Assoc Family Therapy NI
- Birth Trauma Counselling (Introduction to) – A McKinley
- Cancer Awareness Training - Action Cancer
- BRCA Annual Conference – Action Cancer
Children and Young People Centred Training:
- Fresh Little Minds - GROW - Facilitator
- Lego Based Therapy with Play Therapy NI
- Kids Club Leader – Healthy Happy Kids with Mini-Me-Yoga
- Young Hearts & Minds – Trauma Conference – Action Trauma
- Resilience Seminar – Action Trauma
- Working Therapeutically with Children – SRH Counselling Services
- Music Therapy – CiNI – Shane Harvey
- Autism and Communication – Let’s Expand Communication – R Crampton SLT
- Understanding Autism; Managing Behaviour; Emotional Well-being – SENsations Dr C Caughey
- Counselling Children through Creative & Expressive communication – Play Therapy NI
- Sensory Processing and ASD – Autism NI
- Sensory Processing – SENsations
- Dyslexia and Assistive Technology – S McCartney
- Makaton Introduction – Makaton NI
- Social Stories/Comic Strips – R Doyle
- Supporting Children with DCD/Dyspraxia – Sharon Drew
- Cortical Visual Impairment – The Royal Blind School Scotland
- Talking Teenagers – BOUNCE – Health and Social Care Trust
- Regional Initial Assessment Tool (RIAT) – ASCERT
- Sexual Health Training – NHSCT
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Photos & videos
Based on 1-hour sessions
- Individual adults £30
- Teenagers £25
- For small group work, fees are agreed by arrangement
I am enthusiastic about the addition of EFT to my therapeutic practice. I find it a tremendous resource that fits naturally with my way of working. My practice was described by an assessor, as “advanced and insightful”. My clients have achieved positive outcomes across an array of issues. These include, relief from: Anxiety symptoms, PTSD symptoms, Phobias, Complicated Grief, Relationship issues, Chronic Pain and many more. EFT can be part of counselling support but it is also highly effective as a standalone treatment intervention.
I’d like to emphasise its potential benefits for clients with chronic pain. A core feature of EFT is stress reduction. Those living with chronic pain, besides the pain itself, can be anxious and distressed about the cause of the pain, the impact it has on their daily lives and the long-term use of pain medication. EFT can help with managing these associated stresses. It can teach relaxation techniques and coping strategies which can improve the client’s relationship with their pain and thereby improve their daily lives.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I can offer flexibility regarding appointments.
Types of client