Wigan Family Welfare est 1958 offers several free counselling services to residents of Wigan, Ashton & Leigh. We are a warm & welcoming organisation that is happy to help.
There is no charge for our counselling services:
Appointments from 8am - 4pm at Scholes office in Wigan
Note to GPs & professionals: please give our number to your patient for them to self refer.
- Counselling for adults who are feeling angry - therapy for anger related concerns. Everyone has their own reasons for feeling angry/stressed/frustrated - we will work with these reasons, and you as a person. To self refer call 01942867888 option: 1 now.
- New & expectant parents counselling - If your partner is pregnant or has recently had a baby.
- Ante/post Natal depression counselling -
- Bereavement Counselling for Children - counselling for children who have had someone in their life that has died.
- Counselling for children who are feeling/behaving in Angry ways - counselling for children who display anger
- Veterans Counselling and families can access one to one counselling including children who are from the military.
There is no charge for cbt or counselling sessions. Sessions are treated confidentially and are 'one-one'.
Please call the number provided to self refer. You can leave a message outside of these hours and we will call you back. Please state if it is okay to leave a message.
If you have used our services before you are welcome to use them again.
Mon-Fri 9am - 5pm
Training, qualifications & experience
Counsellors are qualified BACP registered counsellors and we are an accredited organisation by British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP). Counsellors undertake continual training throughout the year and are all either accredited or working towards accreditation.
The organisation and counsellors abide by The British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy's ethical framework.
Member organisations *
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Areas of counselling we deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Anger counselling - Any issue that impacts on feelings of anger we can work with. Anger is only a symptom of an underlying cause.
There is no charge to people living in Wigan, Ashton & Leigh