For as long as I can remember I have had a love of horses, it was only whilst training in the person-centred approach in counselling that I became aware of working with horses in a therapeutic way.
Simply put it is a learning modality that uses interactions with horses as a means for the client to gain personal awareness, breakthrough and growth. It has amazing potential for transforming the lives of all age groups.
My herd and I offer a client centred/horse centred space in North Shropshire. We are situated on the edge of a golf course surrounded by beautiful countryside. In these challenging times of Covid 19, and social distancing this form of therapy is proving very popular.
I describe myself as an integrative counsellor combining a range of therapies including CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). I work in a very individual way with both adults and young people and as a counsellor I offer you my many years of experience/knowledge honesty and respect while we explore issues you feel you would like to bring to the counselling.
One fit does not fit all and so we work together looking at how I can best support you or your child, families or groups, either indoors traditional talk therapy, or outdoors with the herd.
I am a certified practitioner, offering eagala.org (Equine Assisted Growth & Learning Association) sessions. The eagala model is a team approach.
Training, qualifications & experience
I qualified in 2011, setting up The Listening Room Counselling Service, whilst also setting up a counselling service in the secondary school where I still counsel one day a week and run group Equine Assisted Learning Sessions(eagala) once a week for students.
I am a supervisor and work with student counsellors and also equine assisted practitioners.
- 2021 Eagala certified practitioner status (re-newed every two years).
- 2020 Designated Safeguards Leads training for schools. updated every two years.
- 2020 Counselling Tutor: Online Telephone and Counselling. 80 CPD hours.
- 2019 Level 6 Certificate in Therapeutic Counselling Supervision.
- 2016 Storm Suicide Prevention & Self Harm Training. CYP.
- 2016 Fundamentals of the Eagala Model training course.
- 2015 BACP Accredited status.
- 2013 Anger Management Training for Children and Young People. (targeting mental health support with "think good feel good project".
- 2011 Foundation degree in counselling (Edge Hill University).
- 2011 Bereavement care foundation course Level 2. (Cruse Bereavement Care) training.
- 2011 Bereavement care foundation course for children and young people (Cruse bereavement care) training.
- 2011 Advanced Diploma Certificate in cognitive behavioural interventions (Staffordshire Uni).
- 2012 Advanced Diploma Certificate in applications of cognitive behavioural interventions (Staffordshire Uni).
- 2009 ABC level 3 certificate in Counselling Skills.
- 2008 ABC level 2 certificate in Counselling Concepts.
- Additional CPD courses.
- 2010 Training & Development Telford Mind: Recovery and well being
- 2010 Training & Development Telford Mind: Health and safety Coshh.
- 2010 Training & Development Telford Mind: Working with Depressed Clients.
- 2011 Training & Development Telford Mind: introduction to Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy.
- 2011 Cruse Bereavement Care training: in Suicide and Self Harm.
- 2012 Cruse Bereavement Care training: Alcohol awareness training IMPACT.
- 2012 Training & Development Telford Mind:Axis From Victim to survivor -childhood sexual abuse.
- 2012 Training & Development Telford Mind: concept of REBT
- 2012 Training & Development Telford Mind:Workshop in Reality therapy.
- 2012 Training & Development Telford Mind: Dr Valda Swinton "spirituality in Counselling".
2012 Training & Development Telford Mind: Dr James Briscoe " Bipolar Disorder".
- 2013 Center for Psychological Therapies in Primary Care: Safe Practice -legal issues for Psychological therapists.
- 2013 Training & Development Telford Mind: A taste of Gestalt therapy.
- 2013 Training & Development Telford Mind: Impact of Trauma by Norma Howe.
- 2014 Training & Development Telford Mind.Workshop with Dr Andrew Reeves (BACP): Counselling Suicidal Clients (Tight ropes and safety nets).
- 2014 Relax Kids "Chill Skills ) workshop.
- 2014 Training & Development Telford Mind: Creative Therapies.
- 2014 Training & Development Telford Mind: Dreams in Counselling a Gestalt Approach.
- 2016 Joint Training, Shropshire Council: Teenage Brain training.
- 2017 Joint Training, Shropshire Council: Eating Disorders.
- 2018 Joint Training, Shropshire Council: Autism Awareness training.
I have experience in the voluntary and private sectors, in school environments both primary and secondary. For more information please visit: www.listeningroomcounsellingservice.com.
Set in beautiful North Shropshire countryside we facilitate the EAGALA model of Equine Assisted Psychotherapy. No riding or experience of horsemanship is needed.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
EAGALA model fits well with young people who may suffer anxiety, depression, confidence, self worth, relationship difficulties, family problems, trauma, PTSD, autism, and bereavement. For those who find being face to face difficult it offers a more relaxed approach.
£45.00 per session
You will normally attend one counselling session per week on a day and time that is convenient to you. These sessions will normally last up to an hour and reviews will take place every six weeks. At each review, we will discuss progress and evaluate and identify the need for further counselling. If you cannot attend arranged sessions, we would ask that you leave a message on 07870639770. We will then contact you to re-arrange a session. Missed appointments will be charged for, please notify us at least a day in advance of non attendance.
£45.00 per hour session. Cash/Cheque or Bank transfer.
After 6pm £50.00 session.
For more details and prices on the eagala model (groups) max 6 for an hour please get in touch.
Supervision £40.00 per hour with a reduced rate for counsellors in training.
Equine Assisted Psychotherapy/Learning. For a price list detailing equine therapies and group and individual requirements please get in touch.
Fee's are reviewed annually.
Your enquiry is important. If I am unable to initially take your call, please leave us a confidential voice message, stating your name and the return telephone or mobile number that you would like us to return your call on. Please indicate in your message, if you would like us to return your call at a preferred time convenient to you.
I work from 9am to 5pm Mondays Wednesday, Thursday.
I have full Professional Liability Insurance. Documentation disclosure available on request.
Up to date CRB certificates and Child Protection documentation.
I am a member of the BACP on the Accredited register/Supervisor and adhere to the Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I am a certified Eagala practitioner and adhere to the EAGALA code of ethics.(Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Approach).
Continual professional development, is on-going and a necessary part of providing the best service and care for all my customers.