Tess Kennedy Registered Member MBACP (Snr Accred) UKCP
I have been practising since 1999 and I am a Senior Accredited Psychotherapist/Counsellor and I work in Westcliff Essex.
My orientation is basically in the humanistic tradition, but I have much experience with psychoanalytic therapy that I am very familiar with those ideas and methods as well.
My own area of interest is childhood trauma and the impact of that it often hinders many of us in later life, as well as at the time, I have extensively trained and have extensive experience in this area. Trauma and its lasting impact is commonly underestimated also often overlooked too particularly medical trauma. Often our unique ‘us’ and our development can be or feel suspended in time, a time we cant quite put into the past.
I work with a wide range of people and issues, I believe that everyone deserves a space whatever level of difficulties they may be experiencing: if you don't think so perhaps low self worth is saying your not worth that undivided attention, perhaps.
I work with adults, children, families and groups in either long-term or short-term face to face work.
i specialise in working with Trauma, traumatic childhood histories that can leave a person with post traumatic stress disorder, symptoms in adults can include, trust issues, transitions into sleep or and into waking. Obviously differing levels of depression or mental/emotional health through to less acknowledged symptoms often misdiagnosed; hyper vigilance, emotional dysregulation, i.e. unable to calm yourself down after a stressful event, could be minor stressful event - however physiologically the body has entered adrenaline/cortisol overload. And many others... these really are a very few examples. I aim to work with sensory integration when a person feels they aren’t able to hold onto their really big powerful feelings, at times overwhelming feelings These earlier traumas can bring dissociation ir DID, Dissociated Identity Disorder. Amongst many other issues such as shame, continued discomfort if a memory is triggered
I specialised in Attachment Therapy and as Family Therapist. I have extensive specialised knowledge and experience in working with the Parent Child relationship. I am also experienced in working with family groups as well as individuals.
We all experience relationship difficulties at times in our lives, and we can work to improve our relationships.
Relationship breakdown can be a huge loss and feelings of abandonment and loss are part of the painful time. I meet people who have gained insight, and awareness that their relationships hit blocks and conflict along the way but feel they are unable to move forward with this insight, knowledge or awarenesss. This is a time where I may meet many clients, seeking to break the patterns of relationship breakdown and loss and to resolve conflict. Often the difficulty is connected to unresolved past painful experiences, that are not yet in the past.
- My practice is normally long term, but I have extensive experience of short term work and so have no reservations about doing it. Obviously with long term work the relationship is particularly important.
- I see people in a dedicated consulting room. The normal session is one hour, longer sessions are a possibility by agreement, the room created by me to help you feel at home, comfortable and safe.
- When i first meet with a client i will hep you settle in, maybe asking some basic questions also what you might like to say about why you are coming and if there is something in mind that you would prefer to be different within yourself.
- Westcliff Railway Station is a few steps away from my door! There is on street parking or at the railway station. Buses are close to Hamlet Court Road
- My fees are in line with current practice in my area. If I increase my fees at at annual reviews, I give at least three months notice. I always have two clients on low cost/concessional basis - when available. This includes counsellors-in-training.
- I can often offer an emergency session at short notice.
- I can also offer consultations on a one off basis, for people who are stuck, or in crisis or perhaps require mentoring over one specifc area. By arrangement - so we both have same focus for the consultation.
- If a therapeutic group were to present themselves for personal development I would be enthusiastic to facilitate a group - fees adjusted accordingly - economic and massively personally and interpersonally growth-full and challenging
- Disabled friendly building, one shallow step at front door only.
- Affliated Counsellor EAP
- I can also be found on the BACP website and registered
- i supervise qualified and trainee psychotherapist/counsellors
General counselling, GAD generalised anxiety. Work related stress. Relationship difficulties. Stress
Mairital relationships. Betrayal. Affairs. Jealousy. Separation. Divorce. Conflict Broken hearts. Infidelity
Infertility, Miscarrage Loss, Grief. Trauma
Mental Health issues, Dissociation, Cognitive Dissonance.
Post-traumatic stress, Following a traumatic event as murder or witnessing a traumatic critical incident - as a bystander or professional or as a participant. Flash backs PTSD
Redundancy, Retirement. Workplace Harrasment & Bullying. Workplace discrimination Workplace disciplinary, loss, stress, depression. Burnout.
Discrimination, cultural, gender, ageism.
Relationships, breakdown, abandonment, loss anger, sadness, identty, self esteem jealousy conflict
Domestic Abuse, physical violence and emotional abuse.
Trauma. Low Self Esteem, Self Harm, Loss Dissociation Identity Disorder
Bereavement Loss. Abandonment, anxiety.
Anxiety - unfortunately seemingly limitless in its many forms surrounding as many things as life contains,
Childhood Sexual Abuse, Childhood Physical Abuse, Emotional Abuse and Neglect. Childhood loss and trauma.
Child Related Issues. ADHD. ODD Attachment Disorders. Child on Parent Violence. NVR Foster children and adopted children and parents.
Addictions, Emotional attachments. Symptom management. Understanding patterns of relapse and success. Self sabotage. And allowing others to sabatoge.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome M.E. other chronic conditions
Disability, loss, adjustment, integrating the unwanted. Chronic conditions
Women's Issues Empowerment versus Disempowerment. Post Natal Depression. Single Parent.
Taking control or being controlled, We are told by Jung that we all fear the truth that we really can not accept that we have no control over anything - while most of us seek to assert control and certainty in our lives in order to feel secure, fearing what may be if we don't have control...
My aim is to give first time counselling searcher, who may still hold a sense of reservation or not knowing what to look at around doing a counselling search that for every "heading" underneath that heading there is a myriad of thoughts feelings and distress (and provide an insight into my practice). And in light of that and with that in mind it is natural to experience the immense range of natural human emotions but they can and do feel overwhelming at times and may fill us with a hopeless/helpless sense and we don't always feel we can get through it, maybe we may feel or think we may fall in. And we don't have to do it all alone, or all at once, I will always honour you and your pace, there are no prizes and meantime we are spending time, perhaps living in the past or fearing the future or not being in the present. You will hear the expression it's a process and it really is a process, frustrating though that may be to hear at times, especially if we are looking for those quick fixes as they just don't work do they...
Types of therapy
Family Systems Therapy
Brief Solution Focussed Therapy
Focssing & Experiental Pyschotherpy and trainer.
A.C.E. Adoption Counselling Expertise
Attachment Parenting for lone or both parents.
Motivational Interviewing ~ elements
Life Coaching Skill - sparingly
Training, qualifications & experience
Dip Person-centred Higher Certifcate Couns, BACP Accredited 2002
- Brief Solution Focused Couns, 2002
- Theraplay Level 2 - 2006
- PG Dip Focusing & Experiental Psychotherapy, 2008
- Focusing-Oriented Therapist Cert, 2008
- Focusing-Oriented Trainer Cert, 2008
- A.C.E. Adoption Counselling Expertise. 2004/2005
- Attachment, Trauma, & Healing. Corrective Attachment Parenting 2006
- 12 Days Alcohol Training 2003
- Post Adoption Counselling & Therapuetic Skills & Pre Adoption Preparation BACP Accredited course 2003/2004
- Person Centred Group Facilitation Cert 2004 City Lit
- 6 years in CAMHS children's project as senior practitioner and supervisor, Rayleigh
- 17 years at PAC-UK post adoption agency, London
- 2/3 years Pupil Referal Unit supervising therapeutic team.
- 12 years Affiliated EAP Counsellor 5/6 Organisations
- 3 years Bereavment Counsellor. Hackney
- 2 years The Family Service Unit, Walthamstow
- 16 years private practise
- 2/3 years at Counselling Initiatives, London. Long term low cost agency.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Active Self harm - or non-active
Cultural Diversity & Issues
Fear of Falling
Fear of being mad or not sane.
Death preoccupation or gaining insight into other preoccupation
Workplace disciplinary or Phased Work return
if you have read right down to here you are more determined and focused than you may realise, laughter and humour have a place in the therapy session alongside unconditional non judgmental attentiveness and regard and respect.
Thank you for reading my profile and this is really my first experience of publicly describing processes and my processes and ethos so I would wecome feedback as I have a tendency to think less is more therefore less is better.
Individuals - £50 per session normally weekly
Family"s or Parents £75 per session 1.5 hrs
Concessions - on a case by case basis, when my concession spaces are taken i keep a waiting list for when a space becomes available
We arrange an initial meeting.
During our first meeting I help you give me an insight into what's bringing you and how you are in your present day to day life. Whats impacting on you and together begin to make sense of what is bringing you to therapy at this time.
You up can ask me any question, therapy is not intended to be a mystery and I believe in transparency and I will always aim to be straightforward with you.
At at the end of the session, I will ask you if you would like to make another session time. It will be your choice to continue with me or not.
If I'm not the the right person for you, I will be happy to help you think about what sort of therapist you may think best for you,
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I work flexible times to aim to accommodate shift workers or child care arrangements, I can offer regular day/time if that fits your life best. We Monday to Friday from 1pm to 7:30pm.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am a Senior Accreditted Pratitioner MBACP .