Dr Taru-Maija Kokkonen, Clinical Psychologist (DClinPsych, CPsychol)
35a Fore Street
I am an experienced Clinical Psychologist, registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and a Chartered member of the British Psychological Society (BPS). I provide psychological assessment and therapy to children, young people and families in a private clinic in Totnes, Devon. I also work with adults and couples.
With over 10 years of experience in the NHS and the private sector, I have worked with children, young people and families across different settings, including Paediatric and Early Years Psychology, and Child and Adolescent Mental Health services. My experience of providing psychological assessment and therapy to adults include clinical health psychology, pregnancy advisory and mental health settings.
I am committed to providing psychological services that are timely, professional, and tailored to meet the needs of each individual, couple or family. I work collaboratively, seeking to enhance and build upon existing strengths and to discover new ways of managing difficulties.
PSYCHOLOGICAL DIFFICULTIES THAT I WORK WITH
Children, young people and families:
- Emotional difficulties such as anxiety/worry, low mood/depression, anger
- Low self-esteem or confidence
- Fears and phobias
- Exam stress
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Coping with a physical health condition
- Adjustment and support when a child or young person has additional needs (for example, developmental difficulties or a medical condition)
- Difficulties with sleeping, feeding and toileting
- Behavioural difficulties, such as disruptive/oppositional behaviour
- Bereavement, loss and grief
- Difficulties with friends
- School problems
- Low mood/Depression
- Anxiety and worry
- Phobias and fears
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Work related stress
- Relationship difficulties
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- Bereavement and loss
- Complicated grief
- Physical health problems - coping with a long term condition or medical treatment, or adjustment to a new diagnosis
- Adjustment to life events, changes and transitions (e. g. separation, career change, becoming a parent)
- Pregnancy loss
- Psychological difficulties during pregnancy or in the postnatal period
WHAT I OFFER
Clinical psychology aims to reduce psychological distress and enhance psychological well-being. This is achieved by supporting clients to
1) understand the difficulties they are experiencing (by developing a psychological formulation),
2) cope with a variety of psychological difficulties, and
3) develop and practice new ways of managing the difficulties.
Clinical Psychologists have extensive, Doctoral level training in assessing a range of psychological difficulties across the lifespan, and determining the most appropriate form of help.
I am trained in a number of evidence-based psychological therapies. The approaches I draw on include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), systemic and couples therapy, motivational interviewing, mindfulness, Compassion Focused Therapy (CFT) and Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). I am an integrative psychologist, using my training and experience to tailor my support to each individual, couple or family. I have completed Incredible Years parent group leader training, and my work with parents is informed by this approach.
If you or your child are experiencing difficulties that are not included above, please contact me to discuss your specific needs.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (DClinPsych)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Applications of Psychology (PGDip), Distinction
- BSc (Hons) Psychology, First Class Honours
- Practitioner Psychologist with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol) with the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- Member of The British Psychological Society Division of Clinical Psychology
- Registered Applied Psychology Practice Supervisor (RAPPS)
- Enhanced DBS clearance and professional indemnity insurance
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Parenting, under fives.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
Fees start from £75 per session.
I am a recognised provider with a number of leading UK health insurance companies including BUPA, AXA PPP, CIGNA, Aviva Health and VitalityHealth. Please speak to your company to find out what your policy covers, as policies vary.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I am an experienced clinical psychologist and registered Applied Psychology Practice Supervisor with the British Psychological Society.