Dr Tanya Beetham, PhD, MBACP (Accred)
I am a counsellor and psychotherapist based in York and I work with adults and young people (16+). I am registered and accredited by the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and I am a Chartered Psychologist. I have been in practice since 2013. I have worked with adults and young people in education settings, the NHS, a women’s counselling centre and a practice for children, young people and families who had experience of trauma, mainly those who were adopted or with care experience.
People come to therapy for a range of reasons. It can be useful to share the things that are causing you worry or distress with a person who can help to make sense of some of these concerns and support you to a place that feels better. I am trained in humanistic integrative counselling and psychotherapy. This means that I treat each person individually, and we will work at your own pace, exploring the issues that you identify as important to you. My starting point is that you are the expert about the stories that you hold.
Areas of specialism
I work with individuals with a range of backgrounds and things that cause them distress. Since 2016 the majority of my practice has been with people who have experienced trauma. I have additional training in EMDR, working with trauma, yoga therapy skills, trauma-informed yoga, and body-based and mindfulness practices. I am currently an EMDR Therapist in training and able to offer EMDR to some clients.
What if I have some questions about therapy?
There are a few ways of working out if you think I can help. You are welcome to email me, text or give me a call. I offer a free initial 20 minute phone consultation if you wish. A phone call might help if you are not sure how you might get on with me, or if you have any questions about how we might work together, and if you would like to share more about what brings you to therapy at this time.
You are also welcome to book an initial appointment for 50 minutes, where we can discuss the issues that bring you to therapy and how I might help. Be reassured that choosing to come for an initial session, or to talk on the phone or via email, does not mean that you are obliged to work with me.
- One to one counselling/psychotherapy with young people (16+) and adults.
- Long or short term counselling/psychotherapy.
- EMDR (subject to assessment)
- Daytime or evening sessions
- My room is easy to access from the train station and city centre.
- My room is on the ground floor. If you have accessibility needs please let me know,
- Please note: During this COVID-19 time, I am welcoming new clients, but face-to-face work is suspended and I am working online (video) or over the phone. These can be very useful methods of therapy and I welcome you to contact me if you would like to talk more about this.
Training, qualifications & experience
- PhD (University of Stirling)
- MSc by Research (York St John University)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP Accredited, York St John University)
- BA (Hons) in Psychology and Counselling Studies (York St John University)
- I take part in continuous professional development and training. Recent training includes:
- Currently: EMDR Training
- Currently: Eat Breathe Thrive Facilitator Training: A yoga based approach to mindful eating, emotional resilience and positive embodiment
- EMDR (Part 1)
- Yoga Therapy Skills for Psychologists and Therapists (The Minded Institute)
- Eat Breathe Thrive Module One: A yoga based approach to mindful eating, emotional resilience and positive embodiment
- Existential Courage Workshop (Emmy van Deurzen)
- Working with relational and developmental trauma (Dr Karen Treisman)
- Working systemically with domestic abuse (Dr Arlene Vetere)
- Safeguarding Children
- I am a Chartered Psychologist recognised by the BPS (British Psychological Society)
- I am a Registered and Accredited member of the BACP (British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy)
- I am a member of the PVG Scheme (Protection of Vulnerable Groups) and Enhanced DBS Checked (Disclosure and Baring Service)
- I am actively involved in research in relation to domestic abuse, mental health and wellbeing.
- I have experience of working with a wide range of issues with adolescents and adult clients. This includes stress, depression, family and relationship difficulties, domestic abuse, trauma, and experiences of adoption and fostering (for adults and young people).
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
I charge £50 per 50 minute session.
For extended EMDR Sessions (90 minutes), I charge £75