Suzanne Simmons Integrative Counsellor PG Dip. Registered MBACP
Hove Therapy Rooms
2nd Floor, 69 Church Road
Brighton Consulting Rooms
18a Clermont Road
07760 31 66 34
Hello I am an Integrative Humanistic Psychotherapeutic Counsellor and a registered member of the BACP. I offer short and long term therapeutic counselling for men, women and young people. I have experience working with all different issues and especially with clients suffering from trauma, anxiety and depression, suicidal thoughts, low self esteem, survivors of abuse, bereavement and relationship difficulties.
My understanding of counselling
I believe that we are unable to try to overhaul our lives overnight on our own. However, through counselling we can instead focus on making one small change at a time. So that overtime, those small changes will add up to a bigger transformation within our lives.
I am mindful that how we deal with our vulnerabilities, enables us to define our strengths and our weaknesses. Although we are unable to change the past, by exploring our thoughts and feelings through therapy, we can discover what has been holding us back and learn new ways to move forward in a healthier way.
From personal experience and as a counsellor, I have acknowledged that difficulties can be opportunities to better things within our life and are often stepping stones to a greater experience. We have the potential to make everyday a new beginning, enabling us to stay away from what might have been and a chance to look at what can be instead.
How I work within my therapy practice
My main focus is on providing a supportive, warm, empathic, safe and non-judgemental space, where you can feel comfortable to explore any difficult feelings or problems that you have been unable to deal with on your own and might be struggling with and where you may feel unable to discuss your feelings with family members and friends.
I believe everyone is unique and I incorporate a good integration of grounded humanistic theory, which has involved over many years within my work with my clients. As just like 'Carl Rogers' I too believe my client's know what is best for them and through exploring their own feelings and thoughts with my facilitation, my clients can reach where they would like to be within their lives.
I am aware that by becoming brave enough to explore ourselves through counselling, we can learn that the past is our lesson, the present is our gift and the future is our motivation within our life to move forward.
I like to use Creative Therapy with my clients, which includes a Sand Tray, Collages, Narrative Play and other forms of creative methods and I also integrate Mindfulness Meditation Therapy techniques when required.
I have experience working with clients of all ages from 13 years to older adults and I have professional liability insurance and work to a code of ethics.
I offer daytime and evening appointments.
For the first session, I charge £10 to cover room hire enabling us to meet and see if we can work together to form a therapeutic relationship. There is no obligation to continue after this.
Training, qualifications & experience
I hold a Post Graduate Diploma in Integrative Humanistic Counselling from Wealden College and Psychology Institute in Crowborough, East Sussex. Where I gained my bedrock of training in Person Centred Therapy, Gestalt Therapy and Transactional Analysis Therapy.
- I also draw upon other theories which include, Attachment Theory, Egan, Clarkson's Five Therapeutic Relationships and I am trained in Trauma Therapy, Creative Therapy and Mindfulness Meditation Therapy.
- I hold certificates and have experience working in areas such as Bereavement and Loss, Trauma and Recovery, working with Survivors of Abuse (both male and female), Trauma in Children, Domestic Violence, Self Harm, Suicide, and Suicidal Thoughts, Relationship Difficulties, Separation and Divorce, LGBT, Anxiety and Depression, Low Self Esteem, Bullying, Phobias and Fears, Fears Around End Of Life, Living With Chronic Pain, Alcohol and Substance Abuse, Loss of Identity, Child Protection, Cruse - Children and Young People's Bereavement and Loss Training, and also Counselling Within Group Work.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
I charge £35 for a 50 minute session.
Counselling Training Students £30 for a 50 minute session.
If you are on a low income, please talk to me about low cost appointments, as I feel strongly that therapy should be available to everyone.
I have previously worked as a counsellor for the following organisations:
CRUSE - Bereavement Care, Brighton and Hove.
As You Are Counselling Service, Southwick, West Sussex.
Age UK, Brighton and Hove.
The Dialogue Centre, (For Children and Young People), Brighton and Hove.
The Find It Out Centre, YMCA, Sussex Central, (For Young People) Lancing, West Sussex.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Daytime and Evenings.
Types of client