Susan Tyler PG Dip, MBACP (Accred),UKCP and FPC.
152 Buckingham Palace Road
020 7730 1242 / 077 0823 6395
How I can help
If you are reading this, I imagine you would like aspects of your life to be different and you want to explore ways of making this happen.
I’m a UKCP and BACP accredited, well-qualified and experienced psychotherapist and counsellor working from The Courtyard Garden in London SW1 (which I co founded) and in central Brighton, BN2. I’m registered with Aviva, Cigna and other insurance companies.
I can help you find a way to help you change the aspects of your life that are causing you distress. You may be experiencing depression, anxiety or difficulties in close relationships. You may be struggling with shame or to process trauma. When life is a challenge, sometimes we need help to cope with difficulties that seem hard to shift alone. Understanding where feelings come from can really help to unravel them and relieve conflicts. Depression and anxiety can almost paralyse your ability to move forward. Talking about difficult feelings can feel hard even when you know it is a positive step forward. Some people struggle on with difficulties in forming and sustaining relationships for many years before asking for help and it can feel like such a relief to find ways through the problems.
I work with people on an open ended basis as well as for a shorter agreed time to find a way for you to live with yourself and your relationships, enabling you to live as freely and creatively as possible.
As well as more longer term work, I am able to offer a more short term approach which focuses more on a current situation. This work can last between 6 and 20 sessions and is called Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy which NICE guidelines state is effective in treating anxiety and depression when CBT hasn't been enough and this informs my focus when open ended long term work isn't possible. I am able to use a combination of approaches and adapt to what is needed using mindfulness based CBT and DIT principles. Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy focuses on relationships and how working on this can help alleviate depression and anxiety. It's based on the idea that we develop ways of relating to people that can become unhelpful and looks at how to change that.
I am also experienced in telephone and Skype counselling.
My work is strictly confidential.I work in private practice in both London and Brighton as well as for a well established local charity.
Areas of particular expertise
I'm particularly experienced in the area of addiction and it's impact on families. It can leave trauma that needs processing. I am a media volunteer for the National Association for Children of Alcoholics.
I also had many years of experience in education in a variety of settings including the Special Needs sector and therefore have unique insight into a range of developmental disorders and their impact on families. I have experience working with people on the autistic spectrum and understand their particular challenges.
I also have a long term interest and experience of mindfulness which now has a growing research base in treatment for anxiety and depression. While my main way of working is psychodynamic, which uses the idea that our past experiences live on in the way we relate to the present, I practise using a mindfulness informed approach. CBT and mindfulness approaches can really help with anxiety.
All enquiries are strictly confidential. To set up an initial consultation or to discuss any questions, please call me on 07708236395, e mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.thecourtyardgarden.org
My own website is www.stylertherapy.co.uk
I am a registered provider of therapy with Cigna insurance.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I'm a fully-qualified and experienced Psychodynamic Psychotherapist.
- I have a Postgraduate Diploma (5 years) in Psychodynamic Theory and Practice from WPF Therapy in London, one of the country's most highly-respected training institutions.
- I have undertaken further training in Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy and am passionate about it's benefits which involve ways of tackling anxiety and depression within relationships.
- I have a degree in psychology and worked in education with children with developmental disorders for many years as well as in mainstream education before training as a therapist. I have an interest in social communication disorders and their impact on emotional life. I have experience over many years of working with people on the autistic spectrum and/or with ADHD. These conditions have particular challenges when it comes to managing feelings.
- I work at the Rock Clinic in Brighton which provides low cost psychotherapy to the local community. I am also a co-founder and Director of The Courtyard Garden, a Psychotherapy and Counselling service www.thecourtyardgarden.org based near Victoria.
- I'm a registered health care provider for Wellbeing Solutions (EAP provider).
- I am a registered provider for Aviva and Cigna insurance companies.
- I'm an accredited member of the BACP, UKCP and FPC and my clinical work is consistent with the highest ethical standards required of these professional bodies.
- I'm an accredited DIT practitioner on the British Psychoanalytic Register.
- I am committed to continuing my professional development, incorporating recent research to enhance my clinical work. My research interests are about how best to help individuals struggling with drug and alcohol problems.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Behaviour problems
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Separation anxiety
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Specialised support for adult children of alcoholics.
- Expertise in social communication difficulties and autistic spectrum disorders
- Mindfulness based approaches to mental distress
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Existential therapy
- Interpersonal therapy
Photos & videos
I charge £50 for an initial introductory session or a one off consutation.
For brief Dynamic Psychotherapy (6-20 sessions focused on current life problems) £50-£70.
Open ended work £45-£65.
I offer some concessions for students and those on a lower income (daytime only) so please feel free to ask me about this.
I am a registered provider with Aviva and Cigna insurance companies.
I work in central Brighton, BN2 and London, SW1.
I have comfortable rooms in Brighton that are easily accessible and centrally located.
If you commute to Victoria, you will find the location I work in London very convenient.
If you need sessions at a specific time that I can't accommodate, it’s likely that one of my practice partners at The Courtyard Garden can, so you won't have to wait too long to get the high quality help you need. We have flexible consulting hours to help you fit therapy around your work and other life commitments.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am available daytimes and some evenings until 10pm.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|