Sue Trevelyan - Couples Counsellor, MBACP (Accredited)
Welcome to couple counselling. I have over twenty years’ experience working with couples, married or single, and individuals with relationship concerns . The aim of the work together through an empathic approach, is to talk through thoughts and feelings to reach a clearer understanding of your needs, and find ways forward.
The counselling is for adult couples and individuals of any ethnic origin or sexual orientation.
Frequent problems include
- unresolved arguments
- disappointment with your partner
- work difficulties
- a new baby
- children felt to be or have a problem
- growing families
- issues with parents and in-laws
- new partners and extended families
Couples seek help with pressing concerns which have caused a relationship or marriage ongoing unresolved hurt, loneliness, anxiety and stress and even depression, with no clear way to solve the problem. Our feelings and expectations about ourselves and partners change as life changes over time, perhaps gradually, or sometimes quite suddenly. Seeking help is not always an easy thing to do, but to talk to a trained counsellor who is there as an ally to each operson, who can listen with an approach that is felt to be empathic and non-judgmental, enables you to take a step back and gain more understanding.The process puts you more in control. You then have the opportunity to make your life and relationship a priority, and use your sessions as part of your strategy to reach your goal.
The counselling is for adult individuals and couples of any ethnic origin and sexual orientation.
The sessions last for fifty minutes. The counselling will continue for as long as you feel you need. Sometimes there is no 'quick fix', so more than one or two may be useful, sometimes this extends to 6 months or more.
The first step is to give time to each person in the counselling room, a quiet confidential space. We talk over what has brought you to counselling and explore new and rewarding ways to be together.
Often there is an an unexpected, effective way to solve a problem. Differences may prove a way to develop together instead of feeling stuck and alone. Sharing with your spouse or partner helps to make you a team. Many family/children issues are helped in the privacy of couple/individual work.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 4-year Diploma in Marital and Couple Counselling, London Marriage Guidance 1997
- 4 years salaried counsellor with London Marriage Guidance 1999-2003
- 7 years BACP Accredited and Relate licensed practitioner in Cumbria 2004-11
- 4 years independent BACP accredited practitioner in Cumbria, Cheshire and Shropshire (to date).
- The four-year Diploma training at LMG covered a very broad spectrum of theory and practice, including psychodynamic, person-centred, integrative, systemic, analytic and the use of self, and training sessions with the Tavistock Institute for Human Relations, all with the couple perspective. I subsequently worked at the Tavistock as a couple counsellor for two years before moving north and practising independently.
- I have been an accredited counsellor with BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) since 2003; my accreditation is updated annually.
Please see the BACP website and ask me for any further information you require or contact me by text or call
I will normally call back the same day if not immediately available. If you can give a suitable time please do so.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
The list above gives some idea of the range of distress that may be of concern.
Our feelings and experiences are all relevant.
Fees are as follows and may vary according to need:
£60 per 50 minute per assessment and regular session for a couple together
£40 per 50 minutes for an individual person
Commitment to the sessions arranged and the time set is a requirement. Accordingly there is a charge for missed sessions, which can be discussed.
Cancellation charge The full fee is payable if less than 48 hours (excluding weekends) is given. No payment is required for missed sessions if due notice is given.
Telephone/Skype may be options, for which payment is required in advance of the session.
Remember that people feel they are suffering a great deal even in a relationship that seems fine to the outside world. So don't be afraid to seek help.
The most direct way to contact is to ring and leave a message if needed. I will answer the same day if possible, so leave a suitable time for you and I will try to call then.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Counselling for partners with communication problems due to language difference welcome|
I offer sessions on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 12 00-7 00 (last appointment 6 00 pm). To make an appointment please call 07796986439. I will call back the same day if possible.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|