I am a qualified, experienced counsellor and a Registered Member of the BACP. I have worked in community and school based settings, counselling agencies and in my private practice based in Brecon. I am an integrative counsellor and have been trained to use many theories to tailor an approach to suit each client.
THE WAY I WORK
I offer a service with both short term and open ended work. The time spent with a counsellor is unique and may be the only time you don't have to hide feelings away, or worry about how others may react or be affected. I listen to clients needs and views in an understanding manner and have the ability to explore situations calmly.
I strongly believe that we are all capable of change, whatever the cause of our problems, and sharing thoughts with a counsellor can help this process.
I provide a professional, non-judgemental counselling service covering many areas but also specialise in trauma. I have many years of experience working with survivors of sexual, emotional and physical abuse, as well as rape and PTSD. The long term consequences of unresolved trauma can lead to many issues such as relationship problems, anxiety, depression, self harm, low self esteem/confidence, trust issues, anger, suicidal thoughts and many more. These issues can affect any one of us, at any time throughout our lives. I also have experience working with loss and bereavement.
Working with a counsellor can enable you to realise opportunities for making positive, prompt and sustainable improvements in your life and relationships. It can also help discover the best possible way to find direction once again.
I have been a member of the BACP throughout my practice which means I offer my clients a high standard of care at all times. I work under the BACP Guidelines with regular supervision and I adhere to its code of ethics.
I hold full professional indemnity insurance and hold a DBS Certificate.
You can see my sessional fees at the bottom of the page.
HOW TO CONTACT ME
You can contact me by e-mail or phone. If you contact me by phone please either text or leave a voice-mail. I will aim to get back to you as soon as possible please state if you would like me to text or call first to make sure it is convenient time for you to talk. The first appointment gives you the opportunity to talk in confidence and to decide whether you feel you would like to work with me. If I feel I am not the right counsellor for you I will endeavour to find one who may suit your needs better.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Registered General Nurse
- ChildLine Training Course
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Diploma in Counselling
- Cruse Bereavement Training
- Degree in Counselling - Worcester University
- University of South Wales - "Working with adults who have been sexually abused".
- Dyfed-Powys Police counsellor.
- Telephone counsellor with ChildLine (4yrs).
- Counsellor with New Pathways (Rape and Sexual Abuse Agency) (4yrs).
- Place2Be volunteer counsellor (School Counsellor Aged 5-11YRS) (1yr).
- Cruse bereavement counsellor (1yr).
- Senior counsellor for Almond Tree Counselling Service (18months).
- DART (Domestic Abuse Agency) (18 months).
- Private practice - current.
- Kaleidoscope (Alcohol and Substance Misuse Agency) Brecon. January 2018 - present.
- IICSA (Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse) Truth Project. Assistant Facilitator. June 2018 - April 2021, end of Inquiry.
- Caer Health Services. Seeing clients who work for Powys County Council. Sept 2018-present.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Fees for 60 minute sessions
- Initial assessment £25
- £40 each session (adolescents and adults)
- Flexible appointments, parking outside on the road
- Trainees mandatory 10 sessions £350
- EAP’s (Employment Assistance Programmes) £50 per session
Monday-Thursday flexible appointments. Some evening and weekend appointments available.
- Narcissism in families with Helen Child Villiers.
- Narcissistic traits and emotional abuse for therapists with Helen Child Villiers.
- Creative ways for working with trauma, two day course with Prof Mooli Lahad.
- International Association for Rewind Trauma Therapy Qualified to practise the Rewind Technique.
- 12 day training with Babette Rothschild (Author of ("The body remembers"). Somatic Treatment Methods for Trauma and PTSD
- Personality Disorders - Talking Heads.
- Positive Psychology, Happiness and Mental Health - Professor Neil Frude. Brecon MIND
- Suicidal teens and self-harm - Alex Drummond.
- Public Health Wales - mental health first aid training
- Cruse - sudden and traumatic death
- Safeguarding children and young people.