Susan Bacon MBACP (Registered) Private Practice
I am a qualified and experienced counsellor and a Registered Member of the BACP. I have worked in community and school based settings, counselling agencies and in my private practice based in Brecon. I am an integrative counsellor and have been trained to use many theories to tailor an approach to suit each client.
THE WAY I WORK
I offer a service with both short term and open ended work. The time spent with a counsellor is unique and may be the only time you don't have to hide feelings away, or worry about how others may react or be affected. I listen to clients needs and views in an understanding manner and have the ability to explore situations calmly.
I strongly believe that we are all capable of change, whatever the cause of our problems, and sharing thoughts with a counsellor can help this process.
I provide a professional, non-judgemental counselling service covering many areas but also specialise in trauma. I have many years of experience working with survivors of sexual, emotional and physical abuse, as well as rape and PTSD. The long term consequences of unresolved trauma can lead to many issues such as relationship problems, anxiety, depression, self harm, low self esteem/confidence, trust issues, anger, suicidal thoughts and many more. These issues can affect any one of us, at any time throughout our lives. I also have experience working with loss and bereavement.
Working with a counsellor can enable you to realise opportunities for making positive, prompt and sustainable improvements in your life and relationships. It can also help discover the best possible way to find direction once again.
I have been a member of the BACP throughout my practice which means I offer my clients a high standard of care at all times. I work under the BACP Guidelines with regular supervision and I adhere to its code of ethics.
I hold full professional indemnity insurance and hold a DBS Certificate.
You can see my sessional fees at the bottom of the page.
HOW TO CONTACT ME
You can contact me by e-mail or phone. If you contact me by phone please either text or leave a voice-mail. I will aim to get back to you as soon as possible please state if you would like me to text or call first to make sure it is convenient time for you to talk. The first appointment gives you the opportunity to talk in confidence and to decide whether you feel you would like to work with me. If I feel I am not the right counsellor for you I will endeavour to find one who may suit your needs better.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Registered General Nurse
- ChildLine Training Course
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Diploma in Counselling
- Cruse Bereavement Training
- Degree in Counselling - Worcester University
- University of South Wales - "Working with adults who have been sexually abused".
- Telephone counsellor with ChildLine (4yrs).
- Counsellor with New Pathways (Rape and Sexual Abuse Agency) (4yrs).
- Place2Be volunteer counsellor (School Counsellor Aged 5-11YRS) (1yr).
- Cruse bereavement counsellor (1yr).
- Senior counsellor for Almond Tree Counselling Service (18months).
- DART (Domestic Abuse Agency) (18 months).
- Private practice - current.
- Kaleidoscope (Alcohol and Substance Misuse Agency) Brecon. January 2018 - present.
- IICSA (Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse) Truth Project. Assistant Facilitator. June 2018 - present.
- Caer Health Services. Seeing clients who work for Powys County Council. Sept 2018-present.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Asperger's syndrome
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Fees for 60 minute sessions
- Initial assessment £25
- £40 each session (adolescents and adults)
- Flexible appointments, parking outside on the road
- Trainees mandatory 10 sessions £350
- EAP’s (Employment Assistance Programmes) £50 per session
- Creative ways for working with trauma, two day course with Prof Mooli Lahad.
- International Association for Rewind Trauma Therapy Qualified to practise the Rewind Technique.
- 12 day training with Babette Rothschild (Author of ("The body remembers"). Somatic Treatment Methods for Trauma and PTSD
- Personality Disorders - Talking Heads.
- Positive Psychology, Happiness and Mental Health - Professor Neil Frude. Brecon MIND
- Suicidal teens and self-harm - Alex Drummond.
- Public Health Wales - mental health first aid training
- Cruse - sudden and traumatic death
- Safeguarding children and young people.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday-Wednesday flexible appointments. Some evening and weekend appointments available.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|