Sue McKelvie, MA, Registered MBACP, MACC -Reg
Hello, I'm Sue, thank you for taking the time to read my profile.
I am a registered psychotherapist/counsellor, offering a professional and confidential service to support you in overcoming difficulties you may be experiencing in life. I provide individual counselling to children, young people and adults.
How I work
I use an integrative model which draws on a variety of theoretical approaches. By blending a mixture of psychodynamic, person-centred, creative and relational methods, we can discover what resonates with you to help you to achieve your goals. What is important is that the therapeutic relationship we develop is one which you find the space to explore the things that might feel too uncomfortable at the moment.
If this is something you are comfortable with, I can use a variety of creative methods and offer you a different kind of listening – one in which you truly feel heard. Please contact me if you want any further information about me or how I work, or if you want to arrange a session to find out if I am the right therapist for you.
How to get started
I understand it can be difficult to to talk about very personal feelings and events, and counselling provides a safe space where you can just be you, without fear of judgement. Hopefully you will feel comfortable and supported by me, in whatever you wish to explore about you and your life.
Counselling provides time and space for you to be listened to when you need it most.
Please contact me by phone or email with any questions and I will be happy to help.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- Registered with the Association of Christian Counsellors (ACC).
- MA - Psychotherapy & Counselling – University of Leeds
- MSc - Specialist Practitioner Public Health (School nursing)
- PG dip - Child Welfare and Safeguarding – Huddersfield University
Further Training & Experience
- Counselling with Children & Young People
- Working therapeutically with children & young people
- Working with dissociation in clinical practice
- Dissociation and DID: the fundamentals’
- Inner child training
- Working with Shame
- Private practice with children & adults
- Volunteer Counsellor at Noah’s Ark, Halifax: working with children/young people
- Counsellor at Noah's Ark working with children in schools
- Volunteer Counsellor at Place2Be: working with primary school children
- Student Counsellor at Northorpe Hall, Mirfield: working with 16-18 yr. olds
- Student Counsellor at Noah’s Ark, Halifax: working with children & adults
Membership & Insurance
- BACP registered member
- ACC (Association of Christian Counsellors) registered member
- Professional Indemnity Insurance
- I also hold a current Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
Registered to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) update service, I attend regular personal & professional development training programs (CPD) and receive regular on-going clinical supervision for the benefit of my practice and clients.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Free initial telephone consultation to discuss how we can work together.
- Fees £45 for a 50-60 minute appointment.
- Evening and weekend appointments available.
I work from an accessible and comfortable office which provides a relaxing environment; offering a place and time that is private and dedicated to you. We start by making an agreement about how we are going to work together and then we check how we are doing after an agreed number of sessions, so that we stay focused.
You can pay by cash or BACS, and a receipt will be provided if required.
Concessions for low income and students available - please ask on enquiry.
Cancellation fee payable if you give less than 48 hours’ notice.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am able to offer flexible times; daytime, evening and Saturday appointments
Types of client