Sue McKelvie, MA, Registered MBACP, MACC -Reg
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my profile.
I am a qualified and registered psychotherapist/counsellor and have previously worked for 35 years in the NHS as a nurse. Throughout my career I have been passionate about children and adult’s emotional health and well-being.
I understand it can be difficult to to talk about very personal feelings and events and counselling provides a safe space where you can just be you, without fear of judgement and hopefully, you will feel comfortable and supported by me, in whatever you wish to explore about you and your life.
I use an integrative model which draws on a variety of theoretical approaches. By blending a mixture of psychodynamic, person-centred, creative and relational methods, together we can discover what resonates with you to help you to achieve your goals. What is important is that the therapeutic relationship we develop is one which you find the space to explore the things that might feel too uncomfortable at the moment.
I work from an accessible and comfortable office which provides a relaxing environment; offering a place and time that is private and dedicated to you. We start by making an agreement about how we are going to work together and then we check how we are doing after an agreed number of sessions, so that we stay focused.
I can use a variety of creative methods, if this is something you are comfortable with, and I offer you a different kind of listening – one in which you truly feel heard. Please contact me if you want any further information about me or how I work, or if you want to arrange a session to find out if I am the right therapist for you
I offer individual counselling to children, young people and adults.
Training, qualifications & experience
- MA - Psychotherapy & Counselling – University of Leeds
- MSc - Specialist Practitioner Public Health (School nursing) – Huddersfield University
- PG dip - Child Welfare and Safeguarding - Huddersfield University
- Private practice with children & adults
- Volunteer Counsellor at Noah’s Ark, Halifax: working with children and young people
- Counsellor at Noah's Ark working with children in schools
- Volunteer Counsellor at Place2Be Leeds: working with primary school children
- Student Counsellor at Northorpe Hall, Mirfield: working with 16-18 yr. olds
- Student Counsellor at Noah’s Ark, Halifax: working with children & adults
Areas of counselling I deal with
Initial telephone consultation to discuss how we can work together.
Please enquire for information on fees. Evening and weekend appointments available.
(concessions for low income and students) - please ask on enquiry
Cancellation fee £25 - payable if you give less than 24 hours’ notice.
You can pay by cash or BACS. A receipt will be provided if required
Membership & Insurance
- BACP registered member
- ACC (Association of Christian Counsellors) registered member
- Professional Indemnity Insurance
- I also hold a current Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am able to offer flexible times; daytime, evening and Saturday appointments
Types of client