I have over 4,000 hours and 35 years experience as a Counsellor/Psychotherapist which includes youth work settings, bereavement group, homeless hostel, parenting groups, GP Practice, racing industry, gambling organisation, working for private health providers as well as running my own private practice.
I believe the nurturing relationship between client and counsellor is a 'cornerstone tool' for helping somebody. My priority is to focus on the individual person and help them feel relaxed in a warm non judgemental and confidential space whilst being respectful of ethical boundaries. I will help you to explore your issues, look at repeating patterns of behaviour, help you think differently, and consider new perspectives on past/present concerns. We can work together in building confidence to explore options, decide what works for you, set out personal goals and journey along new/different skills pathways to build emotional resilience/strength. In the process we can identify and change unhelpful patterns of behaviour and help you to move forward in life.
I use an integrative style of counselling which means I use a range of skills to suit individual counselling needs. I work with individuals on a wide range of issues offering counselling, psychotherapy, coaching and mentoring to people over 18. Bespoke coaching packages covering a variety of skills can be discussed and compiled on request.
Additionally I have had 20 years collective experience in working with people as a Counselling Tutor, Mental Health and Parenting Tutor, and Youth & Community Worker in Suffolk.
I have worked as a volunteer in youth settings, bereavement work, parenting groups, hospital setting, and over the years been a Trustee serving several local voluntary organisations.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Stage One Adult Tutors attendance Cert. (1987: (EARAC)
- Basic Training Course in Youth Work Certificate (1988: SCC)
- Cert. Adlerian Counselling Skills, (Institute of Individual Psychology: 1989)
- Dip. Adlerian Counselling (DIIP) (Institute of Individual Psychology: 1990)
- City & Guilds 7307 One & Two: Further & Adult Teacher’s Certificate (1991)
- Dip. Psychiatric Studies (Rusland College: 1997)
- Certificate of Education Post Compulsory Education (Anglia Ruskin Polytechnic University: 1999)
- BTEC NVQ4 Management (Otley College: 1999)
- Criminology Diploma 2004 (|Associated Stress Consultants)
- Dip. Advanced Criminology 2006: (Associated Stress Consultants)
- Postgraduate Dip. Health & Community Development with JNC Prof. Qualification (De Montfort University: 2006)
- Alcohol & Drug Counselling Diploma (Associated Stress Consultants) 2008
- Level 3 City & Guilds Certificate: Work with Parents - 2008
- Dip. EMDR Pain Management (Open College: (Distinction 2015)
- Dip. PSTD Management - High Merit (BSY: 2015
- Dip. Pain Management - Distinction (BSY: 2015)
- Dip. Couple Counselling - Distinction (Open College: 2018)
- Gambling Refresher training - assorted dates (Gamcare/Breakeven)
CPD - In order to pass my knowledge/skills onto my clients I am very committed to my own learning/personal development. Recently this includes:
Trauma Skills Summit, Developmental Trauma. Suicide & Self Harm, Anxious Attachment, Anxiety, Depression & CBT, OCD, Military Veterans, Telephone Counselling online/Moving Practice Online, Child Sexual Abuse, Digital Wellbeing, CBT ,Coaching, Supervision.
Issues I have experience of working with:
- Addictions (incl. Gambling and Porn)
- Behavioural issues
- Communication skills
- Emotional Resilience
- General Counselling
- Health Anxiety
- Parenting (Teens)
- Post Traumatic Stress
- Self Esteem/confidence
- Pain Management
- Personal development
- Work related issues/stress
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£50 per session. Some concessions currently available for Veterans, NHS, Emergency Workers and Students. Please enquire for details. Free 30 minute initial consultation (by appointment).