I have over 4,000 hours and 35 years experience as a Counsellor/Psychotherapist which includes youth work settings, bereavement group, homeless hostel, parenting groups, GP Practice, racing industry, gambling organisation, working for private health providers as well as running my own private practice.
I believe the nurturing relationship between client and counsellor is a 'cornerstone tool' for helping somebody. My priority is to focus on the individual person and help them feel relaxed in a warm non judgemental and confidential space whilst being respectful of ethical boundaries. I will help you to explore your issues, look at repeating patterns of behaviour, help you think differently, and consider new perspectives on past/present concerns. We can work together in building confidence to explore options, decide what works for you, set out personal goals and journey along new/different skills pathways to build emotional resilience/strength. In the process we can identify and change unhelpful patterns of behaviour and help you to move forward in life.
I use an integrative style of counselling which means I use a range of skills to suit individual counselling needs. I work with individuals on a wide range of issues offering counselling, psychotherapy, coaching and mentoring to people over 18. Bespoke coaching packages covering a variety of skills can be discussed and compiled on request.
Additionally I have had 20 years collective experience in working with people as a Counselling Tutor, Mental Health and Parenting Tutor, and Youth & Community Worker in Suffolk.
I have worked as a volunteer in youth settings, bereavement work, parenting groups, hospital setting, and over the years been a Trustee serving several local voluntary organisations.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Stage One Adult Tutors attendance Cert. (1987: (EARAC)
- Basic Training Course in Youth Work Certificate (1988: SCC)
- Cert. Adlerian Counselling Skills, (Institute of Individual Psychology: 1989)
- Dip. Adlerian Counselling (DIIP) (Institute of Individual Psychology: 1990)
- City & Guilds 7307 One & Two: Further & Adult Teacher’s Certificate (1991)
- Dip. Psychiatric Studies (Rusland College: 1997)
- Certificate of Education Post Compulsory Education (Anglia Ruskin Polytechnic University: 1999)
- BTEC NVQ4 Management (Otley College: 1999)
- Criminology Diploma 2004 (|Associated Stress Consultants)
- Dip. Advanced Criminology 2006: (Associated Stress Consultants)
- Postgraduate Dip. Health & Community Development with JNC Prof. Qualification (De Montfort University: 2006)
- Alcohol & Drug Counselling Diploma (Associated Stress Consultants) 2008
- Level 3 City & Guilds Certificate: Work with Parents - 2008
- Dip. EMDR Pain Management (Open College: (Distinction 2015)
- Dip. PSTD Management - High Merit (BSY: 2015
- Dip. Pain Management - Distinction (BSY: 2015)
- Dip. Couple Counselling - Distinction (Open College: 2018)
- Gambling Refresher training - assorted dates (Gamcare/Breakeven)
CPD - In order to pass my knowledge/skills onto my clients I am very committed to my own learning/personal development. Recently this includes:
Trauma Skills Summit, Developmental Trauma. Suicide & Self Harm, Anxious Attachment, Anxiety, Depression & CBT, OCD, Military Veterans, Telephone Counselling online/Moving Practice Online, Child Sexual Abuse, Digital Wellbeing, CBT ,Coaching, Supervision.
Issues I have experience of working with:
- Addictions (incl. Gambling and Porn)
- Behavioural issues
- Communication skills
- Emotional Resilience
- General Counselling
- Health Anxiety
- Parenting (Teens)
- Post Traumatic Stress
- Self Esteem/confidence
- Pain Management
- Personal development
- Work related issues/stress
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP)
BACP is one of the UK’s leading professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy with around 60,000 members. The Association has several different categories of membership, including Student Member, Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP, Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Accred) and Senior Registered Accredited Member MBACP (Snr Acccred).
Registered and accredited members are listed on the BACP Register, which shows that they have demonstrated BACP’s recommended standards for training, proficiency and ethical practice. The BACP Register was the first register of psychological therapists to be accredited by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
Accredited and senior accredited membership are voluntary categories for members who choose to undertake a rigorous application and assessment process to demonstrate additional standards around practice, training and supervision.
Individual members will have completed an appropriate counselling or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but they won’t appear on the BACP Register until they've demonstrated that they meet the standards for registration. Student members are still in the process of completing their training.
All members are bound by the BACP Ethical Framework and a Professional Conduct Procedure.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£50.00 per session
Free initial telephone session
Concessions offered for
£50 per session. Free 30 minute initial consultation (by appointment).
When I work
Appointments available during weekdays and evenings. Closed at weekends.