Please see my website for important information about changes to my services in light of the COVID-19 pandemic.
I am a passionate and experienced counsellor, specialising in work with young people. I hope that if we talk or meet, you experience me as a down to earth, open and caring person that never undermines you or how you view the world.
As well as being a counsellor, I’m a human being and I bring my authentic self to each session. I have valuable life experiences that have led to me pursuing my career in counselling. These experiences – both positive and negative – ground me and offer me unique perspective and understanding when working with clients.
After qualifying from the University of Strathclyde with a Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Psychotherapy, my journey led me to undertake further training in therapeutic work with Children and Young People. I also have further qualifications that allow me to work online which can help to break down barriers to the accessibility of my service.
How I Work
The decision to come to counselling can begin from any point in your life. Sometimes, things don’t feel clear, life feels overwhelming, or you feel alone. You may notice you feel anxious, low or that it is hard to cope. Counselling can be a useful space to untangle your thoughts and feelings and to make sense of them with someone alongside you to help.
I never underestimate how difficult or anxiety provoking it might be when considering coming to counselling yourself or considering contacting a counsellor to work with your child. It is a choice only you can make, but I am open to helping you with this as best I can.
- My work is underpinned by the Person-Centred approach which means that the client at the centre of the work we do. In real terms, that means that I do my best to see your world from your perspective – to try and feel how it might be for you in the moment.
- Counselling moves at your pace and I am led by you - where you decide to go in our sessions, I follow. I won’t force you to speak about things that are too painful if you aren’t ready and won’t jump ahead of you. There is no expectation from me that you need to share everything with me during our time together, only what you feel comfortable with or what you feel able to. It is my belief that you bring yourself to our sessions and that is enough.
- There is no judgement in my counselling room, and I value each person’s identity, means of expression, feelings, choices and experiences. I strive to offer a space that allows you to feel empowered and to let you know that you are seen, heard, accepted and that you are not alone. This can be a powerful and liberating experience and can offer an environment where growth, understanding and acceptance can take place. You can use this space however you wish and the time that we have together is yours.
Training, qualifications & experience
Qualifications & Training
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling & Psychotherapy - University of Strathclyde
- HNC Counselling - Ayrshire College
- Professional Development Award in Addiction Counselling - Ayrshire College
- Essential Elements when working with Young People - University of Strathclyde
- Certificate in Counselling Children and Young People - University of Strathclyde
- OCST Online Counselling Diploma
- ASIST (Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training)
- Pure Counselling – Working with Autism and Aspergers
- Victim Support Volunteer Training
To keep up to date with relevant and current developments in counselling, I undertake yearly CPD. This informs my practice and allows me to build new knowledge and skills.
I am a registered member of BACP and a Practitioner Member of PCT Scotland. My practice is guided by the BACP Ethical Framework and my membership demonstrates a commitment to ethical and informed practice. As such I attend regular supervision to ensure that I am working legally, ethically and competently. I am also a data controller with the ICO, a PVG Scheme Member (adults and children) and carry robust insurance.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£40.00 per session
- I offer one-to-one online counselling sessions via video, phone, IM and email. Each session lasts for 50 minutes and frequency can be discussed. I hope that you find me flexible in regard to times and days available. Face to face sessions are currently suspended until further notice.
- My fee is £40 per session, payable on the day of your session. All online sessions require a £10 deposit (payable via Paypal) with the balance due on the day of your session. I accept card and Paypal payments. A 1.69% fee is applicable on all card payments. From 1st July I will no longer be accepting cash payments for health and safety reasons.
- I am qualified to deliver counselling via telephone, video chat, email or instant messenger. This service is available after an initial assessment as it may not be appropriate for every individual circumstance. If this type of therapy interests you or you would like to know more, please let me know when you get in touch. I have made the decision to offer online counselling only for the foreseeable future. I am currently unable to offer this service to young people but adults may get in touch to discuss.
All sessions cancelled within 24 hours may incur the full session fee.
Monday - Thursday: 9am until 1:30pm
Enquiries from Organisations
I have been working as a counsellor within secondary schools since 2017 and welcome enquiries in regard to this type of work. If you would like to find out more about my work in this area, please get in touch to discuss your requirements.
I also welcome enquiries from charities and EAP providers - please get in touch if you wish to discuss this type of work with me.