Stefan Gmaj Reg. MBACP (ACCRED)
As an experienced counsellor, I have worked with many issues including depression, anxiety, bereavement, bullying, work stress, relationship difficulties, abuse, family matters, disability and chronic health conditions. I have extensive knowledge of mental health issues. I've helped many people with these and similar problems over the last 17 years to find their own ways through.
Please feel free to call or email me to discuss what you are going through to see if I can help. My style of working is warm, friendly, collaborative, and of course, confidential.
As a Person Centred Counsellor my work has predominately been for the NHS; mainly GP referred work and in the public and voluntary sectors.
I have a special interest in mental health and health in general. I have worked extensively with emotional and relationship issues.
I also really value and celebrate diversity in all its forms.
My approach is to gently support clients to help them find their own solutions and ways through the difficulties they are experiencing even if at the time they may seem overwhelming.
I am a follower of Carl Rogers who has been described as 'The Father of Counselling'.
I also offer EMDR therapy to help people who have suffered Trauma, Trauma based phobias or PTSD. Contact me if you would like more information to see if I can help.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate in Integrative Counselling with Keele University
- Postgraduate Masters Diploma in Counselling & Psychotherapy with Liverpool John Moores University
- UK Registered & Accredited Member of The British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy
- Member EMDR Association UK & Ireland
- Twenty years+ of Meditation & Mindfulness experience
I have been working as a Counsellor for over 17 years.
Prior to this I was a volunteer with The Samaritans for approximately ten years.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Mental health problems
- Chronic health problems
- Midlife crisis
- Stress, work stress, life stress, relationships, infidelity
- Sad ness (inc SAD)
- Existential issues, e.g. What is it all about?
- Cultural, Spiritual and Religious issues (Religion)
- Race and oppression
- Gender and sexual diversity from an affirmative standpoint
- LGBT, LGBTQ, LGBTQI, Trans, Queer etc
Our first session is usually 1 hour for £50 with no subsequent obligation. (I have actually helped quite a few people with just one session).
If we feel that further sessions would be helpful, these session too will generally be 1 hour and weekly; however other session lengths and frequencies can be arranged between us by agreement.
- £50 for each subsequent 1 hour session
- £75 for each subsequent 90 min session required for EMDR therapy
I offer private appointments in central Liverpool and at The Foundry in Birkenhead. I have daytime, early evening and some weekend availability.
(Please note that I do not offer Children's or Couples Counselling.)
- "I would thoroughly recommend Stefan to anyone in need of therapy or counselling, he has made all the difference in speeding up my recovery from burnout and severe anxiety which was debilitating to me. Stefan is extremely easy to feel comfortable around. He is professional and has a wealth of knowledge, which is supremely balanced with his warm personality and ability to reassure. Having seen Stefan for a course of six sessions I have made so much progress and I am well on the way to being my usual confident and friendly self. I feel human again!"
- "EMDR helped me face a number of fears and feel much more confident which a few weeks ago seemed a million miles away. Since the EMDR my nightmares have faded and I am sleeping a lot better. I would recommend EMDR it opened my mind - It helped me to find the key to my trauma and I feel a lot better." (Client with PTSD)
- "A few months ago I came to you at my most unhappiest and was finding it hard to even get up in the morning. I came away now with my life starting to get back on track. I am more sure of myself now and for the first time since I can remember, I feel content. Thank you for all your time and help."
- "Many thanks for all your help and support. Our 'Sessions' have indeed made a difference. I know that time is always against us in life but I do feel that the time I did spend talking with you was time very well spent."
- "Thanks Stefan for all your help and support, it really is making a difference."