Sophie Robinson-Matthews (MSc, BSc Hons, Dip. Couns, MBACP)
I support people therapeutically with mental wellness.
I provide psychotherapeutic counselling, mentoring, and coaching both in-person and online via secure live video-conferencing (known sometimes as tele-health) to your home, office or anywhere you find safe and private.
I draw holistically from many different therapeutic approaches and evidence-based methods to meet your individual needs and goals - each session is bespoke to you.
My core therapeutic style is in Person-centred counselling and this is always at the heart of my services. In practice, I am integrative which means that I draw from many therapeutic and psychological approaches, because I believe that no one model fits all so enjoy a variety to best meet the needs of my clients.
I pride myself on being a role-model to my clients - practising what I preach. If I haven't tried it personally or it's not scientifically sound (has a good research evidence base), then I won't recommend it.
I love helping my clients walk their own path of healing. Insight-oriented questions are one of my favourite interventions as they really allow the client to deepen their self-awareness and autonomy which is what I'm all about =]
I want every client to walk away knowing they can create their own destiny.
My style is encouraging, uplifting, and full of wisdom.
What to expect
I make sure all new clients feel welcome, safe, and comfortable. I am able to email you the therapeutic contract (as required by the BACP for safety and legality) before the session so that you can read through at your own pace and leave more time for you during the first session.
During your first session we will have a discussion where you can ask any questions and we talk about the primary issue that brought you here and/or the goal you wish to achieve if we have not covered that during the free consultation.
We will also exchange some details and review the therapeutic contract, which is a formality and really it is there to keep us both safe, and you should find it answers some questions about how my services work if you have not experienced similar in private practice before (booking online - you will read and have time to accept the contract before being directed to the payment page).
This is also a chance to see if we would be a good fit to work together and if we aren't, I can signpost you or refer you to somewhere I think you would be able to get the help you need.
Training, qualifications & experience
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Therapy - in progress
Understanding Behaviour that Challenges, Level 2 (CACHE) - North Warwickshire & Hinckley College
Journal Therapy Diploma Level 3, Distinction - Complementary Medical Association (ABC Awards, CPD 150)
Understanding Nutrition and Health Level 2 - Learning Curve Group
Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling Level 5- City of Wolverhampton College
- Bereavement Counselling Level 2 (Ascentis)- Cruse Bereavement Care
- Counselling Skills Diploma Level 3 (NCFE)- City of Wolverhampton College
- Counselling Skills Level 2 (NCFE)- City of Wolverhampton College
- Information, Advice or Guidance Level 2- City of Wolverhampton College
- BTEC in Education & Training Level 3 (QCF)- Topps Training
- MSc Forensic Psychology (Merit 2:1) + Willan Research Award- Coventry University
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (First class 1:1)- University of Wolverhampton
How to do Counselling Online - BACP (Open University) - completed on 22.04.2020
An Introduction to Infection Prevention & Control - Virtual College - completed on 18.03.2020
Suicide Prevention training - Zero Suicide Alliance
Introduction to Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) & Early Trauma - Home Office, Public Health England
Safeguarding & Thresholds - Learn, Grow, Love CIC (Wolverhampton Safeguarding)
- Disability Awareness training - Access to Work UK
- Solution’s Focused Mentoring CPD certified training – Ark Consultancy Ltd.
- Stop, Understand, Move on training- SUMO via Headstart
- Offence Disclosure training– Mentoring West Midlands
- MTQ48 – Mental Toughness training– Ark Consultancy
- Money Management training– Citizens Advice Bureau
- Autism & Anxiety– Autism West Midlands
- Autism Awareness– Autism West Midlands
- Substance use & bereavement– Recovery Near You
- Tier 2 Dug & alcohol awareness– Drugtrain (DANOS competencies)
- Tier 1 Basic drug & alcohol awareness– Drugtrain (DANOS competencies)
- Outcome Star– Triangle Consulting (Youth and Work Star focus)
- Knowledge & Understanding (4 modules towards Level 3 Adult Social Care)
- Disability, mental health & domestic violence– OCN via the Haven
- Sexual violence & abuse against women: dynamics, effects & support– OCN via the Haven
- Helpline & C.A.A.D.A. risk assessment– the Haven Wolverhampton
- Certificate in Engage & Empower– Homeless Link
- Certificate in M.H. Crisis Intervention– Mental Health First Aid UK
- Domestic Violence Awareness– OCN via the Haven Wolverhampton
- Uni of W’ton Psychology Society– Attended several guest lecture seminars
- Enhanced DBS certificate (formerly CRB check)
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Sessions are £45 for a therapeutic hour (50 mins + 10 mins grace to arrange future sessions, complete any paperwork etc.)
Student counsellor consessions are available.
Concessions are available at request and discounts can be negotiated for long-term therapy after 6 sessions if required.
Any questions - please feel free to call and leave a message, text or email so that I can get back to you again my earliest convenience.
Fees for telephone therapy differ, see my website for details and please contact to enquire or book.
Concessions offered for
I have worked in support services since 2012 and am passionate about sharing my skills and knowledge to help others with whatever they are struggling with.
I am dedicated to following an ethical code for counsellors and continually update my knowledge base with all of the wonderful new research, tools and techniques that I strive to understand and learn to merge in my therapy services. This means I draw on research and developing best practices from psychology, counselling, philosophy, neuroscience, meditative studies, and other holistic areas that are less easily defined.
I believe personal development is eternal so learning new ways of helping others is a passion of knowledge for me!
If you call, please leave a message so I can get back to you, otherwise I'll assume the call is spam as I get many calls due to having my number online, thank you.