Sophie Robinson-Matthews (MSc, BSc Hons, Dip. Couns, MBACP)
I support people therapeutically with mental wellness.
I provide psychotherapeutic counselling, mentoring, and coaching both in-person and online via secure live video-conferencing (known sometimes as tele-health) to your home, office or anywhere you find safe and private.
I draw holistically from many different therapeutic approaches and evidence-based methods to meet your individual needs and goals - each session is bespoke to you.
My core therapeutic style is in Person-centred counselling and this is always at the heart of my services. In practice, I am integrative which means that I draw from many therapeutic and psychological approaches, because I believe that no one model fits all so enjoy a variety to best meet the needs of my clients.
I pride myself on being a role-model to my clients - practising what I preach. If I haven't tried it personally or it's not scientifically sound (has a good research evidence base), then I won't recommend it.
I love helping my clients walk their own path of healing. Insight-oriented questions are one of my favourite interventions as they really allow the client to deepen their self-awareness and autonomy which is what I'm all about =]
I want every client to walk away knowing they can create their own destiny.
My style is encouraging, uplifting, and full of wisdom.
What to expect
I make sure all new clients feel welcome, safe, and comfortable. I am able to email you the therapeutic contract (as required by the BACP for safety and legality) before the session so that you can read through at your own pace and leave more time for you during the first session.
During your first session we will have a discussion where you can ask any questions and we talk about the primary issue that brought you here and/or the goal you wish to achieve if we have not covered that during the free consultation.
We will also exchange some details and review the therapeutic contract, which is a formality and really it is there to keep us both safe, and you should find it answers some questions about how my services work if you have not experienced similar in private practice before (booking online - you will read and have time to accept the contract before being directed to the payment page).
This is also a chance to see if we would be a good fit to work together and if we aren't, I can signpost you or refer you to somewhere I think you would be able to get the help you need.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling Level 5- City of Wolverhampton College
- Bereavement Counselling Level 2 (Ascentis)- Cruse Bereavement Care
- Counselling Skills Diploma Level 3 (NCFE)- City of Wolverhampton College
- Counselling Skills Level 2 (NCFE)- City of Wolverhampton College
- Information, Advice or Guidance Level 2- City of Wolverhampton College
- BTEC in Education & Training Level 3 (QCF)- Topps Training
- MSc Forensic Psychology (Merit 2:1) + Willan Research Award- Coventry University
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (First class 1:1)- University of Wolverhampton
- Disability Awareness training - Access to Work UK
- Solution’s Focused Mentoring CPD certified training – Ark Consultancy Ltd.
- Stop, Understand, Move on training- SUMO via Headstart
- Offence Disclosure training– Mentoring West Midlands
- MTQ48 – Mental Toughness training– Ark Consultancy
- Money Management training– Citizens Advice Bureau
- Autism & Anxiety– Autism West Midlands
- Autism Awareness– Autism West Midlands
- Substance use & bereavement– Recovery Near You
- Tier 2 Dug & alcohol awareness– Drugtrain (DANOS competencies)
- Tier 1 Basic drug & alcohol awareness– Drugtrain (DANOS competencies)
- Outcome Star– Triangle Consulting (Youth and Work Star focus)
- Knowledge & Understanding (4 modules towards Level 3 Adult Social Care)
- Disability, mental health & domestic violence– OCN via the Haven
- Sexual violence & abuse against women: dynamics, effects & support– OCN via the Haven
- Helpline & C.A.A.D.A. risk assessment– the Haven Wolverhampton
- Certificate in Engage & Empower– Homeless Link
- Certificate in M.H. Crisis Intervention– Mental Health First Aid UK
- Domestic Violence Awareness– OCN via the Haven Wolverhampton
- Uni of W’ton Psychology Society– Attended several guest lecture seminars
- Enhanced DBS certificate (formerly CRB check)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Photos & videos
I accept cash for in-person sessions but you can also pay via paypal prior to the session if that is easier for you. (See blog post on website polices and ethics for detailed information). Sessions are from £45 for a therapeutic hour (50 mins + 10 mins grace to arrange future sessions, complete any paperwork etc.).
Block bookings of 3 or more sessions carry a discount to £40 per session.
Student counsellor sessions are available from £28.
Concessions are available at request and discounts are provided for long-term therapy after 6 sessions.
Any questions - please feel free to call and leave a message, text or email.
Fees for online therapy are lower, please contact to enquire or book.
I have worked in support services since 2012 and am passionate about sharing my skills and knowledge to help others with whatever they are struggling with.
I am dedicated to following an ethical code for counsellors and continually update my knowledge base with all of the wonderful new research, tools and techniques that I strive to understand and learn to merge in my therapy services. This means I draw on research and developing best practices from psychology, counselling, philosophy, neuroscience, meditative studies, and other holistic areas that are less easily defined.
I believe personal development is eternal so learning new ways of helping others is a passion of knowledge for me!
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Please indicate during booking or the telephone consultation if you need a ramp or assistance to manage a step up into the building. Live online video sessions are available via secure video conference using Zoom or Skype.
Monday & Wednesday: 6:30pm - 8pm. Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 9am - 6pm. Saturday & Sunday: 10am - 4pm. More availability possible at request.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|