Sophia England BA, PGDip, Counsellor and Psychotherapist (Accred)
I'm now accepting new clients for online and face to face counselling sessions on Tuesday's and Wednesday's. I'm pleased to offer the option of in person sessions at my therapy room.
You might be considering counselling if you feel depressed or anxious, your relationships feel strained, or if you are having harmful thoughts and feelings.
People also find counselling effective if they are experiencing unexpected mood swings, their sleeping patterns are off, or if they find themselves using substances to cope with issues in their life.
My role as a therapist’s is to work with you to make sense of your issues and concerns. I'm trained to deal with a range of situations, helping you find ways to cope with issues in your life.
While it can be valuable to talk about your problems with close friends and family members, sometimes the people around you aren’t able to provide the help you need.
I'll listen to you and help you to understand yourself better, so you can make positive changes in your life.
I have experience in working with people who are affected by trauma. I hold awareness that an event, a series of events or a set of circumstances that is experienced by an individual as physically or emotionally hurtful, harmful or life threatening can feel traumatic. Some examples include being bullied, abused or neglected and experiencing loss, violence or judgement.
I'm an experienced telephone counsellor for Trauma Counselling Line Scotland, which is a service provided by Health in Mind, a charity promoting positive mental health and wellbeing in Scotland.
How I work
I have a passion for helping people with their health and wellbeing.
As a qualified professional, I will use the Person Centred therapeutic conditions of empathy, acceptance and unconditional positive regard to listen to you and Psychodynamic therapeutic interventions to understand the roots and formation of your psychological processes.
Training, qualifications & experience
Training and qualifications
- Accredited member (MBACP (Accred)) of the BACP
- Post Graduate Diploma (PGDip) in Counselling from the University of Edinburgh. This was focused on the Person Centred approach and Psychodynamic perspective.
- Introduction to Schema Therapy
- Trauma Enhanced Practice Levels 2 and 3
- Prior to training as a psychotherapist I worked in corporate investment and banking organisations, having completed a Bachelors of Arts (BA) in Business Administration.
- In addition to my private practice, I'm a psychotherapist at a charity in Leith, Edinburgh, which is a leading centre for the provision of affordable high-quality psychotherapy & counselling.
- Previously, I was a counsellor at The PF Counselling Service, a charity located in Morningside, Edinburgh. I was also a call taker for ParentLine, Scotland’s National Children’s Charity helpline, providing advice for anyone caring for or concerned about a child.
I am happy to work with almost any issue and have experience of working with a wide range of clients.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£55.00 per session
Concessions offered for
- An initial session costs £55 and lasts 50 minutes. This gives us a chance to consider whether counselling is right for you before continuing.
Regular weekly sessions
- I usually suggest having around 6 sessions (50 minutes each) to begin with as it sometimes takes that amount of time for you to get a feel for how I work and for us to get a feel for how we work together. I find, therapeutically it's important to have regular weekly sessions, for continuity purposes. We can talk about the number of sessions which feel right for you in the initial session and agree a plan going forward.
- Sessions are available for however long we both feel they are useful.
- 1:1 sessions cost £55.
- Fees are payable by bank transfer or PayPal in advance of each session.
- When we agree upon a set number of sessions, I ask that you please give at least 2 weeks notice of any appointments you cannot attend in order not to incur a fee.
I'm now accepting new clients for online and telephone counselling sessions on Tuesday's and Wednesday's. I'm pleased to offer the option of face to face sessions at my office from September
You can make an initial appointment by email, phone or by messaging me though the Counselling Directory, I'll respond within 48 hours of receiving your enquiry.
In advance of a meeting, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have.
- Email: email@example.com
- Mobile: 07789310709
You can visit my website www.newtowncounselling.org
I'm an accredited member (MBACP (Accred)) of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP), I work within the BACP's Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions.