Siri Rasmussen - EMDR & CBT Accredited Psychotherapist
51-53 Church Road
I'm an experienced professional psychotherapist and counsellor offering EMDR and CBT in central Brighton & Hove. I have over 20 years experience of working with people in distress and/or with mental health issues. For the last 8 years, I have been working within the NHS as an EMDR and CBT psychotherapist specialising in trauma, anxiety and depression. My work within the NHS continues and I am currently working towards accreditation as an EMDR Consultant.
In my previous practice as a Social Worker, I worked extensively with people who were experiencing difficulties in their lives. These difficulties often resulted in high levels of distress leading to anxiety and depression sometimes as a result of traumatic early life experiences. My work then and now involves enabling people to make sense of their lives and their behaviour so that they can start to make changes and move forward towards a more fulfilling lifestyle. What motivates and encourages me in my work as a psychotherapist and counsellor is hearing from clients that our work together has resulted in them regaining their lives or that it has been life changing.
Throughout our lives we have many different experiences and we can be faced with traumatic events which in turn can lead us to become highly anxious, depressed or to develop PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder). We are individuals and so may develop different ways of dealing with distress. In some cases people engage in unhelpful behaviour that can be counter-productive and which in turn can lead to increased anxiety and/or addiction. Anxiety can take many forms; all of which can be debilitating. The types of presentations that I most frequently work with are:
- Anxiety and Panic
- Depression and Low Mood
- Bereavement or Grief
- Low self-esteem/lacking in confidence
- Trauma, this can result from events such as sexual abuse, physical abuse, bullying or as a result of being exposed through ones work to traumatic incidents. People who work in the following services, police, ambulance, fire or military may be particularly susceptible to PTSD. Any accident can be traumatic and have far reaching consequences thereby curtailing our enjoyment of life.
Psychotherapy and Counselling has been found to be beneficial in helping people with a variety of pscychological difficulties. The approaches that I have found most useful in my work have been EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing) and CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy).
EMDR is a particularly effective therapeutic intervention to help with managing high levels of emotional distress, which can impact on day to day life. This type of therapy works well with a number of different presentations but particularly so with PTSD and trauma.
CBT is a practical approach to challenging the way that we think and behave. This has been proven to be particularly effective with low mood and anxiety although many of the strategies used can be beneficial in day-to-day life and help in developing a balanced perspective.
Both the above approaches are at the cutting edge of therapeutic interventions, are shown to have good outcomes and result in people achieving their personal goals.
I am happy to offer psychological therapy in Danish.
Please contact me for further information or to have a brief discussion about what you wish to bring to therapy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Accredited EMDR Practitioner;
- Supervision of CBT, University of Surrey;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Psychological Intervention Accredited CBT Practitioner, Surrey University;
- Diploma in Humanistic Counselling, Roehampton Institute London, an Institute of the University of Surrey;
- Diploma in Social Work, DipSw;
- MA (Master of Arts) in Social Work, University of East Anglia;
- BA (Batchelor of Arts) in Social Anthropology, University of East Anglia
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
Sessions usually last 50 minutes and the fee is £65. Longer sessions are payable pro rata. I will discuss, in advance, whether any longer sessions are necessary.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Evenings and Saturdays
Types of client
Supervision & training
I am able to offer supervision of EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing) primarily for those undergoing or having recently completed training in EMDR.