Simon Wilson, MA, PG Dip
I provide General Therapy, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Addiction Therapy and Couple / Psychosexual Therapy - specialising in substance misuse, personality disorders, self harm / suicidal behaviours and sexual issues / compulsions, along with general anxiety and depression.
My private practice days are Monday and Tuesday where I offer early morning, daytime or evening appointments. I have consulting rooms at the Ellesmere Clinic in High Barnet (EN5) and in Winchmore Hill (N21).
From Wednesday to Friday I work as Clinical Lead for the General Psychiatry team at The Priory Hospital in North London, where I am the lead therapist co-ordinating a general therapy programme. This programme is for in-patients on an acute psychiatric ward and for outpatients receiving day care. I was previously the Addiction Treatment Programme Manager at the Priory and I am a member of the Federation of Drug and Alcohol Practitioners (FDAP).
I am also the Course Director for the Foundation Programme at the Contemporary Institute of Clinical Sexology. This is a College of Sex and Relationship Therapy (COSRT) accredited programme for trainee Psycho-sexual Therapists / Clinical Sexologists. I provide training, coaching and supervision to trainee and qualified clinicians.
The majority of clients seeking therapy with me are looking for help with underlying symptoms of depression or anxiety and often have a history of trauma, abuse, loss, attachment issues or developmental trauma from their family of origin.
My therapeutic style is pluralistic, meaning I utilise Psychoanalytic Theory, Humanistic Counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Techniques to tailor the therapy to the individual - I do not believe one size fits all, but that all modalities of therapy are useful at different times for different people.
My core training is in Gestalt, I focus on the therapeutic relationship we create and systemic issues the client is experiencing. However my therapy work is very much informed by my study of Psychoanalytic theories (especially Attachment Theory) and by Psychoanalytical Clinical Supervision I regularly receive. I also utilise Behavioural and Cognitive Techniques to support clients in managing symptoms and offer evidence based treatment for emotional regulation, utilising DBT and CBT.
One day per week I co-facilitate Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) groups for clients with personality disorder at the Priory North London, for information on this please contact the Priory Hospital North London directly.
Training, qualifications & experience
General Counselling & Therapy Training
- MA Psychotherapy
- Post Graduate Diploma - Gestalt Psychotherapy
- Advanced Diploma of Professional Development - Gestalt Therapy
- Post Graduate Certificate - Psychoanalysis
Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Training
- DBT Level 4 - DBT Masterclass
- DBT Level 3 - Running DBT Skills Groups
- DBT Level 2 - DBT Proficiency Exam
- DBT Level 1 - DBT Essentials
Couple & Relationship Therapy Training
- Post Qualifying Diploma - Transpersonal Couple Counselling & Psychotherapy
Addiction Therapy Training
- Level 5 Diploma - Sex Addiction Counselling
- Level 4 Diploma - Alcohol & Substance Misuse Counselling
- BPS Approved Certificate - Clinical Supervision
- Clinical Lead, General Psychiatry - The Priory Hospital, North London
- Addiction Treatment Programme Manager - The Priory Hospital, North London
- Course Director, Lead Tutor & Pastoral Lead - Contemporary Institute of Clinical Sexology (CICS)
- Clinic Manager - St Richards Counselling Clinic
- Clinical Supervisor - Sangam Asian Women's Centre
- Senior Mental Health Recovery Officer - Rethink Mental Illness
- Addiction Therapist - Recovery Lighthouse, UKAT
- Freelance Counselling Staff Trainer - Fegans Children & Family Therapy Centre
(Prior to training as a counsellor I held various leadership roles in the corporate sector including Strategic Implementation, Commercial Operations and Learning & Development Management, I occasionally offer Executive Coaching and Consultation for Leadership Development)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I specialise in working with Compulsive Sexual Behaviours that include: Problematic Pornography Use, Substance Use and Out of Control Sexual Behaviours, Sex and Love Addiction, Multiple Affairs, Co-dependency, Sexual Anorexia, ChemSex and challenges with achieving or sustaining fulfilling romantic or sexual relationships.
I also work with associated issues such as Body Image, Self Esteem, Food / Eating, Gym / Steroid Use / Exercise, 'Hook-Up' or Dating Apps and Internet Use.
Individual Counselling: sliding scale of £90 to £120 per 50 minute session
Couples Counselling 90 minutes: £110
DBT / Recovery / Therapy Groups: Please make contact for information
Private Medical Insurance referrals currently only available at Priory Hospital North London
I have an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Certificate (DBS) to work with adults and children and I am registered with the annual update service.
- DBS Certificate Number: 001651234133
I hold all client data confidentially and I am registered with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO).
- Data Protection Registration Number: A8452177
I comply fully with the ethical framework of the professional governing organisations:
- BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
- NCP (National Council of Psychotherapists)
- COSRT (College of Sex and Relationship Therapy)
- FDAP (Federation of Drug and Alcohol Practitioners)
I exceed the minimum requirement for professional clinical supervision. Clinical Supervisor; Ethical Framework and Complaint Procedure information can be provided on request.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
To access my consulting room in Winchmore Hill you will need to use stairs, if this will present a concern please contact me to discuss, the Ellesmere Clinic may be a suitable alternative.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|