Simon Draycott PhD, Chartered Counselling Psychologist
I provide counselling services to individuals and couples in Central London (Oxford Circus) and South London (Brixton).
My default approach is Existential-Phenomenological in nature but I will draw from other models to best the sort of person you are and what you want to look achieve from counselling.
These other therapeutic models include: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Mindfulness, Person-Centred Therapy, Motivational Interviewing and Psychodynamic Therapy.
My aim is to help us both better understand your experiences, and to support you to come to terms with who you are and what is going on for you, or to help you make the changes you want to.
Whilst the counselling models listed above play their part, of primary importance is the nature of the relationship we develop in the counselling room. This relationship should be defined by your being comfortable in working with me, and the relationship having boundaries that may be difficult to achieve elsewhere in your life. At times, the work may feel difficult or challenging but ultimately safe and productive.
In the free, initial consultation session, we will explore what you want to achieve from the counselling work. During the course of the work, we will return to these aims. Whilst these aims may evolve, it’s an important part of the process that we look at how much progress is being made, and ensure you feel something useful and productive is taking place.
Training, qualifications & experience
These are my qualifications:
- Post-MA in Existential Counselling Psychology - City University, London
- MA in Counselling Psychology – City University, London
- PhD – Exeter University
- MSc in Occupational Psychology – University of Hertfordshire
- BA (Hons.) in Psychology and Philosophy IIi – University of Leeds
- Certificate in Sex Addiction - Association for the Treatment of Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity
I am affiliated to the following organisations:
- I am a Chartered Counselling Psychologist with the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- I am a Registered Psychologist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- I am member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
- I am a member of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Addiction and Compulsivity (ATSAC)
- I am a member of the Association of Business Psychologists (ABP)
My experience includes the following:
Terrence Higgins Trust (THT)
- Providing counselling and therapeutic support to individuals and couples across a variety of client groups
- Assessing and working to alleviate a range of psychological conditions and emotional problems including anxiety, depression, relationship difficulties, drug and alcohol abuse, HIV and sexual health, self-esteem and work-related issues
- Exploring and creating a greater understanding with clients of a range of issues including existential givens, trust, communication, safer sex, sexual orientation and living with HIV
- Adopting an integrative approach drawing from the following schools of thought: existential phenomenological, psychodynamic, CBT, transactional analysis, motivational interviewing, and systems theory
- Working within both a time-limited and open-ended therapeutic framework
- Providing couple and individual counselling services
- Designing and delivering training programmes and workshops including stress management, life skills and career development
- Providing emotional, crisis support and information to people suffering from mental illness, their families and friends, and professionals working in the mental health field
- Developing and delivering management profiling services
- Providing executive coaching services
- Developing and delivering workshops and training courses e.g. team-building, stress management, coaching and presentation skills
- Consulting to develop bespoke, evidence-based assessment solutions
- Conducting organisational research e.g. deaths in custody and healthcare role profiling
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
FREE initial consultation session
Individuals: £85 per session
Couples: £95 per session
Rates may vary if delivered via insurance providers. Discount available for counselling students
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|