Simon De Cogan
I am registered with the Health & Care Professionals Council (HCPC) and accredited by the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists (BABCP). I'm based in Ayrshire and offer a broad range of services which include individual and group psychotherapy, assessment and consultancy, coaching, training workshops, education, and clinical supervision for other therapists. I can provide training workshops on a range on mental health-related topics for groups and organisations. Please visit my website for full details of services I offer (details listed above).
I offer professional, specialist, confidential, and individually tailored therapy for you based on your own unique needs and circumstances. Whilst my approach is based in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) which has substantial evidence to support its effectiveness, I am also trained to use other psychotherapeutic approaches to ensure your needs are fully met.
I have completed extensive training in a variety of psychological treatment approaches enabling me to work with a broad range of difficulties including depression and low mood, anxiety, self esteem, low confidence, anger and irritability, grief and bereavement, phobias, stress, trauma and PTSD, body image, obsessive compulsive difficulties among others. I also offer clinical supervision for other CBT psychotherapists and trainees/students.
I work within the British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists (BABCP) code of practice.
Training, qualifications & experience
In my career in mental health I have developed extensive experience of working with a wide range of psychological and emotional problems of varying complexity and severity. I have over twenty years experience of working in mental health and over fifteen years experience working as a psychotherapist in the NHS, charities and in independent practice. Prior to setting up my private practice I worked as a psychotherapist with military veterans, police, and emergency service personnel with post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental health difficulties. I also worked as a Trainer and Clinical Supervisor on the Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) at Glasgow Cognitive Therapy Centre, providing training and clinical CBT supervision for student therapists.
- Pg Diploma Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy
- Advanced Certificate Group Analysis
- Pg Diploma Approved Social Work
- MA/DipSW Social Work
- Diploma in Psychology (Conversion for Graduates)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Psychological Studies
Professional Therapy/Other Training
- Compassion Focused Therapy
- Cognitive Analytic Psychotherapy
- Understanding Group Processes
- Introduction to group analysis
- Anxiety in children and young people
- Health anxiety
- Cumulative military trauma
- Introduction to integrative psychotherapy
- Relational Frame Theory
- Collaborative Case Conceptualisation
- New developments in CBT
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for Psychosis
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Motivational Interviewing
- Personality Disorder Awareness
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
Other areas of counselling I deal with
PTSD and trauma in military and emergency service personnel.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
British Association of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapists (BABCP) – Accredited Member.
Registered with Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC).
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday to Friday 5pm-10pm Saturday and Sunday 9am-7pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|