Shane Smith [MBACP] Counselling with Individuals & Couples
Hello and welcome to my counselling directory profile. I'm a compassionate counsellor with vast experience of working with a wide range of presenting problems. I offer brief and longer-term counselling with both individuals and couples.
First and foremost I'm here to listen in an empathic, accepting, and non-judgemental way. I then seek to create a mutually respectful space into which genuine dialogue can emerge; a space where opportunities to gain personal/relational insights are enhanced and movements toward desired change can happen.
Our first session together will give you the opportunity to explore what you wish to gain from counselling; following this, we can work constructively toward achieving these best hopes. I will regularly invite honest feedback in order to maintain a client-led counselling process.
My counselling practice incorporates Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT); this is a strengths-based, future-focused, goal orientated approach to working with human problems. SFBT intends to highlight and build upon both personal and relational resources.
My initial 4 year counselling training (systemic/relational) allows me to integrate different ideas into my practice; this enables a flexible approach that provides alternative ways of working together. It will be my intention to work with you to find out what works best for you in a collaborative manner.
- My professional counselling practice is fully insured and underpinned by the BACP ethical framework and follows good practice in action guidelines; ensuring robust and transparent professionalism at all times.
- My practice is also registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) in-line with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
- I will normally respond to counselling enquiries between the hours of 9am and 9pm weekdays.
- Before attending your first session I will send you a referral form and pre-counselling information; this will include my booking procedures and cancellation policy.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Counselling with young people in secondary schools and community based settings.
- Counselling with individuals and couples in Private Practice.
- Counselling with adults within NHS primary care.
- Counselling with adults within 3rd sector mental health charities.
- Counselling with adults within Employee Assistance Programs.
- Bereavement support worker & student mentor.
NB. I'm currently in the process of completing my BACP accreditation.
I have well over 10 years experience working as a personal assistant within health and social care; a person-centred role that assists people to live the kinds of lives they wish to lead within their own homes and local communities; promoting individual choice, autonomy, and independent living.
I've also worked with people living with autism, learning difficulties, challenging behaviour, and acquired brain injuries; both as a personal assistant and counsellor.
Qualifications and Training:
- Level 7: Postgraduate Certificate in Systemic Practice in Psychotherapy; Family Institute [Distinction].
- Level 5/6: BSc (Hons) in Systemic Counselling; Family Institute [First Class] - BACP Accredited Training Course.
- Level 4: Introduction to Counselling; Open University [Distinction].
- Level 2: Awareness in Bereavement Care Foundation Course; Cruse Bereavement Care.
- Level 2: Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT); Association for Psychological Therapies.
Continuing Personal & Professional Development:
- Genograms and Systemic Formulations (Talking Heads)
- Using the Cognitive Model for working with Trauma: (2 Day Training).
- Mindfulness for Well-being: 8 week course.
- Workshop: Working with Transgender Clients.
- Trauma in Childhood: Building Resilience in the Face of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES).
- Safeguarding Children Level 3: From Recognition to Response (Cwm Taf).
- Bereavement by Suicide: Supporting Children, Young People & Families (Child Bereavement UK).
- Support for Children and Young People when a Family Member is Imprisoned (Barnardo's).
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing (RCT).
- Working with Children and Young People experiencing Loss and Grief (Cruse).
- ASIST: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (Mind).
- Working with Young People who Self-Harm (BACP).
- Substance Abuse/Drugs and Alcohol (Mind/TEDS).
- Introduction to Solution Focused Brief Therapy [SFBT] (Coventry & Warwickshire NHS).
- Working with Suicidal and Self-Harming Teens (Almond Tree Counselling Services).
- Workshop: Sudden and Traumatic Death (Cruse).
NB: This list does not include all of the workshops and training events that I've attended over the years that I've worked in either health and social care or the counselling profession.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Health anxiety
- Hearing voices
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic attacks
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have an interest in the works of Carl Gustav Jung; particularly his work on the archetypes of the collective unconscious, shadow work, and the process of active imagination.
Archetypal, or shadow work, values multiplicity and brings into focus both light and dark aspects of ourselves. Shadow work can help us identify and build upon our innate strengths and qualities whilst becoming more aware of our hidden qualities that we don't necessarily recognise within our self (shadow qualities).
Benefits of archetypal (shadow) work can include:
- A more balanced and integrated sense of self
- Greater awareness of self and others
- Improved interpersonal relationships
- A more accurate view of the world
- A more fulfilling life
- A useful system for life-long learning and development
Services, fees, and payment:
- Counselling sessions are ordinarily 50-60 minutes long, although 90 minute sessions can be arranged if appropriate/necessary.
- Sessions can be arranged on a weekly or fortnightly basis, or as one off single sessions.
- My fees are £40 per session for individual counselling and £50 per session for couples work.
- My fee for telephone counselling is £25 per session (you will need to call me).
- Payments can be made via bank transfer, cheque, or cash transaction if you prefer.
Whilst during the course of our initial session we may come to an agreement, you are always in charge of the duration and frequency of your sessions and you are under no obligation to attend further sessions or any specified number of sessions.
Availability and practice location:
- Counselling sessions are available on Thursdays (9am-5.30pm) and Fridays (9am-4.30pm); although evening sessions can be arranged on other days of the week.
- My counselling room is located within discrete professional premises that provide a reception area and toilet facilities.
- There is free car parking space to the front of the premises.
- The location is very easy to find and is situated on a main bus route (easily accessed from Pontypridd/Llantrisant etc.).
PLEASE NOTE: My contact details are not intended as a form of emergency support. If you, or anybody you know, are at risk of serious harm, I advise you to contact you GP or the appropriate emergency services immediately.
Alternatively, you can contact the Samaritans 24hr helpline on: 116 123
Thank you for taking the time to read my profile.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
In order to improve access to counselling home visits or telephone counselling can be arranged to suit your individual needs; providing the environment is suitable for confidential conversations to take place.
I offer sessions on Thursdays and Fridays. Evening sessions can also be arranged.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|