Shane Smith [MBACP] Face-to-Face & Qualified Telephone/Online Counsellor
Hello and welcome to my counselling directory profile. I'm a compassionate counsellor with vast experience of working with a wide range of presenting problems and clients from different cultural backgrounds.
I offer brief and longer-term counselling with both individuals and couples; this work includes specialist telephone and online bereavement counselling across the UK.
First and foremost I'm here to listen in an empathic, accepting, and non-judgemental way. I then seek to create a mutually respectful space into which genuine dialogue can emerge; a space where opportunities to gain personal/relational insights are enhanced and movements toward desired change can happen.
My counselling practice incorporates Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT); this is a strengths-based, future-focused, goal orientated approach to working with human problems. SFBT intends to highlight and build upon both personal and relational resources.
My initial 4 year counselling training (systemic/relational) allows me to integrate different ideas into my practice; this enables a flexible approach that provides alternative ways of working together. It will be my intention to work with you to find out what works best for you in a 'collaborative' manner.
- My professional counselling practice is fully insured and underpinned by the BACP ethical framework and follows good practice in action guidelines; ensuring robust and transparent professionalism at all times.
- My practice is also registered with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) in-line with General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
- I will respond to counselling enquiries between 9am and 9pm weekdays.
Telephone & Online Video Counselling
- Before attending your first telephone/online video session I will send you a counselling agreement; this will include my policies and good working practice guidelines.
- You must be able to protect your privacy when engaging with telephone or online video counselling; I'm unable to offer counselling unless strict privacy can be maintained.
- You must be aged 18 or over and currently living within the UK to access telephone or online video counselling.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I'm currently employed (part-time) as a specialist online bereavement counsellor.
- I also offer counselling with adults within Employee Assistance Programs (EAP); face-to-face, online webcam via Zoom, and also telephone counselling.
- Counselling with individuals and couples within private practice; face-to-face, online webcam via Zoom, and also telephone counselling.
- Counselling with young people in secondary schools and community based settings.
- Counselling with adults within NHS primary care.
- Counselling with adults within 3rd sector mental health charities; MIND and Cancer-Care.
- Bereavement support worker with Cruse Bereavement Care.
- Student mentor at the University of South Wales.
NB. I've applied for and currently awaiting confirmation of my BACP accredited status.
I have 12 years experience working as a personal assistant within health and social care; a person-centred role that assists people to live the kinds of lives they wish to lead within their own homes and local communities; promoting individual choice, autonomy, and independent living.
I've also worked with people living with autism, learning difficulties, challenging behaviour, and acquired brain injuries; both as a personal assistant and as a qualified counsellor.
- Level 7: Postgraduate Certificate in Systemic Practice (Couples) in Psychotherapy; Family Institute [Distinction].
- Level 5/6: BSc (Hons) in Systemic Counselling; Family Institute [First Class] - BACP Accredited Training Course.
- Level 4: Introduction to Counselling; Open University.
- Level 2: Awareness in Bereavement Care Foundation Course.
- Level 2: Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) Essentials.
- OCST4 - Online Webcam and Telephone Counselling [7 Week Training Programme).
Continuing Personal & Professional Development:
- Introduction to Online and Telephone Counselling (BACP/Open University) [6hrs].
- Safeguarding and Managing Risk through Digital Media (BACP).
- Genograms and Systemic Formulations.
- Using the Cognitive Model for working with Trauma: [2-days].
- Mindfulness for well-being: [8 week course].
- Workshop: Working with Transgender Clients.
- Trauma in Childhood: Building Resilience in the Face of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES).
- Safeguarding Children Level 3: From Recognition to Response (Cwm Taf).
- ASIST: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (Mind).
- Working with Young People who Self-Harm (BACP).
- Substance Abuse/Drugs and Alcohol (Mind/TEDS).
- Introduction to Solution Focused Brief Therapy [SFBT] (Coventry & Warwickshire NHS).
- Workshop: Sudden and Traumatic Death (Cruse Bereavement Care).
NB: This list does not include 'all' of the workshops and training events that I've attended.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I have studied and have an ongoing interest in the works of Carl Gustav Jung; particularly his work on the archetypes of the collective unconscious and shadow work.
Archetypal work values multiplicity of the Self and can help to identify and build upon our innate strengths, values, and qualities; whilst allowing us to become more aware of our hidden qualities; aspects of ourselves that we don't necessarily recognise (shadow qualities).
Benefits of Shadow Work can Include:
- Gaining a more balanced and integrated sense of Self.
- Having an increased awareness of Self and others.
- Improving close and intimate relationships.
- Developing a useful view of our relational world.
- Moving toward a more fulfilling life; both personally and professionally.
- Finding a helpful system for life-long learning and development.
- Cultivating greater compassion for Self and others.
Shadow Work Training and Qualifications
I have a Diploma in Shadow Mastery and I'm currently working toward gaining an advanced Diploma in Shadow Mastery. Additionally, I'm also currently working toward gaining a Diploma in working with Jungian Archetypes.
Services, Fees, and Payment:
- All counselling sessions are ordinarily 50 minutes long.
- Counselling sessions can be arranged on a weekly or fortnightly basis, or as one off single sessions.
- My fees are £40.00 per session for individual face-to-face counselling and £50.00 per session for face-to-face couples work.
- Payments can be made via bank transfer, cheque, or cash transaction if you prefer.
Online Video & Telephone Counselling:
- My fee for online counselling via the Zoom video platform is £40.00 for a 50 minute session.
- My fee for telephone counselling is £40.00 for a 50 minute session.
- Evening sessions (online video or telephone) can also be arranged to suit your needs.
- Session payments in advance made via bank transfer.
- In order to assess suitability for telephone or online video counselling we would need to arrange a brief pre-assessment conversation; preferably this will be done via telephone and would be offered free of charge.
- Providing we are both happy to continue we will then agree our first session which will include a full assessment and an opportunity for us to explore what you wish to gain from counselling.
- For online video counselling please ensure that you have the most up-to-date version of the Zoom video platform; this will ensure the best online security for our meetings.
Availability and Practice Location:
Individuals and couples face-to-face counselling sessions are available on:
- Mondays and Fridays: 9.30am - 4.30pm
My counselling room is located within discrete professional premises that provide handwashing and toilet facilities.
There is free car parking space to the front of the premises.
The location is very easy to find and is situated on a main bus route (easily accessed from Pontypridd/Llantrisant etc.).
PLEASE NOTE: My contact details are not intended as a form of emergency support. If you, or anybody you know, are at risk of serious harm, I advise you to contact your GP or the appropriate emergency services immediately.
Alternatively, you can contact the Samaritans 24hr helpline on: 116 123 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for taking the time to read my profile.