Shane Smith MBACP (Accred) Qualified Telephone/Online Counsellor (ACTO)
Hello and welcome to my Counselling Directory profile. I'm a compassionate humanistic counsellor with vast experience of working with a wide range of clients.
I'm an accredited member of the BACP and also a member of ACTO (Association for Counselling and Therapy Online). I'm a fully trained and qualified online and telephone counsellor; with specialist experience working with bereavement.
I offer brief and longer-term counselling with both individuals and couples; I offer face-to-face counselling, telephone counselling, or counselling via online webcam.
My approach is influenced by person-centred principles of empathy, acceptance, positive-regard, and valuing a non-judgemental attitude.
I seek to create a safe and trusting therapeutic relationship where opportunities to gain personal/relational insights are enhanced and movements toward desired change can happen.
My counselling practice incorporates Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT); this is a strengths-based, future-focused approach to working with human problems. SFBT intends to highlight and build upon innate personal/relational resources.
My initial 4 years of counselling training (systemic/relational) allows me to integrate different ideas into my practice. It will be my intention to work collaboratively with you to find out what works best for you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Employed (part-time) as a specialist online bereavement counsellor.
- Brief counselling (6-8 sessions) with adults within Employee Assistance Programs (EAP); face-to-face, online webcam via Zoom, and also telephone counselling.
- Brief or longer-term counselling with individuals and couples within private practice; face-to-face, online webcam via Zoom, and also telephone counselling.
- Counselling with young people within secondary schools and community based settings.
- Counselling with adults within NHS primary care.
- Counselling with adults within 3rd sector mental health charities; MIND and Cancer-Care.
- Bereavement support worker with Cruse Bereavement Care.
- Student mentor at the University of South Wales.
- Level 7: Postgraduate Certificate in Systemic Practice (Couples) in Psychotherapy; Family Institute [Distinction].
- Level 5/6: BSc (Hons) in Systemic Counselling; Family Institute [First Class] - (BACP Accredited Training Course).
- OCST4 - Online Webcam and Telephone Counselling (ACTO Approved Training Course).
- Level 4: Introduction to Counselling; Open University.
- Level 3: Shadow Mastery Diploma & Advanced Shadow Mastery Diploma (Jungian Psychology).
- Level 2: Awareness in Bereavement Care Foundation Course.
- Level 2: Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) Essentials.
Further Training and Development:
- Using the Cognitive Model for working with Trauma: [2-day course].
- Mindfulness for Well-Being: [8 week course].
- Workshop: Working with Transgender Clients.
- Trauma in Childhood: Building Resilience in the Face of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES).
- ASIST: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (MIND).
- Substance Abuse/Drugs and Alcohol (MIND/TEDS).
- Introduction to Solution Focused Brief Therapy [SFBT] (Coventry & Warwickshire NHS).
NB: This list does not include all of the workshops and training events that I've attended.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
The Association for Counselling and Therapy Online
The Association for Counselling and Therapy Online
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Services & Fees
- Counselling sessions are 50 minutes long.
- Counselling sessions can be arranged on a weekly or fortnightly basis; or as one off single sessions.
- My fees are £40.00 per session for individual face-to-face, online, or telephone counselling and £50.00 per session for face-to-face couples work.
- In order for us to work safely and effectively via telephone or online video platform we would need to arrange a brief assessment before counselling begins. This can be done via telephone and would be offered free of charge.
Availability and Practice Location:
Face-to-face counselling sessions are available on:
- Mondays: 9.30am - 4.30pm
My counselling room is located within discrete professional premises that provide handwashing and toilet facilities.
There is free car parking space to the front of the premises.
My contact details are not intended as a form of emergency support. If you, or anybody you know, are at risk of serious harm, I advise you to contact your GP or the appropriate emergency services immediately.
Alternatively, you can contact the Samaritans 24hr helpline on: 116 123 or email: email@example.com
Thank you for taking the time to read my profile.