Shane Smith MBACP (Accred) Qualified Telephone/Online Counsellor (ACTO)
Hello and welcome to my Counselling Directory profile.
I'm a compassionate humanistic counsellor who values person-centred principles of empathy, acceptance, positive-regard, and non-judgement.
I aim to build a safe and trusting therapeutic relationship where opportunities to gain personal/relational insights are enhanced and movements toward desired change can happen.
I work full-time as a counsellor; offering brief (1-8 sessions) and longer-term counselling with both individuals and couples. I work face-to-face and I'm also a trained and qualified online video and telephone counsellor; with specialist counselling experience working multiculturally with people who are bereaved.
I'm a systemically/relationally trained counsellor that incorporates Solution Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT) into my practice. SFBT is a client-centred, strengths-based, future-focused approach that takes into consideration our relational worlds; focusing on what is both possible and changeable.
I'm an 'accredited' member of the BACP and also a 'professional' member of ACTO (Association for Counselling and Therapy Online).
Training, qualifications & experience
- Employed (part-time) as a specialist online bereavement counsellor.
- Brief counselling (6-8 sessions) with adults within Employee Assistance Programs (EAP); face-to-face, online webcam via Zoom, and also telephone counselling.
- Brief or longer-term counselling with individuals and couples within private practice; face-to-face, online webcam via Zoom, and also telephone counselling.
- Counselling with young people within secondary schools and community based settings.
- Counselling with adults within NHS primary care.
- Counselling with adults within 3rd sector mental health charities; MIND and Cancer-Care.
- Bereavement support worker with Cruse Bereavement Care.
- Student mentor at the University of South Wales.
- Level 7: Postgraduate Certificate in Systemic Practice [Couples] in Psychotherapy; Family Institute [Distinction].
- Level 5/6: BSc (Hons) in Systemic Counselling; Family Institute [First Class] - (BACP Accredited Training Course).
- Level 4: Introduction to Counselling (Open University).
- OCST4: Online Webcam and Telephone Counselling (ACTO Approved Training Course).
- Grief and Bereavement Counselling Diploma.
- Awareness in Bereavement Care Foundation Course (Cruse Bereavement Care).
- Working with Bereavement and Complex Grief (BACP).
- Adult Attitude to Grief [AAG] (Linda Machin).
Further Training and Development:
- Introduction to Solution Focused Brief Therapy [SFBT]; NHS.
- Solution Focused Therapy [SFT]: Self-Help & Well-Being Techniques; Institute for SFT.
- Jungian Psychology: Shadow Mastery Diploma & Advanced Shadow Mastery Diploma.
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy [DBT] Essentials.
- Using the Cognitive Model for working with Trauma: [2-day course].
- Mindfulness for Well-Being: [8 week course].
- Workshop: Working with Transgender Clients.
- Trauma in Childhood: Building Resilience in the Face of Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACES).
- Substance Abuse/Drugs and Alcohol; MIND/TEDS.
- ASIST: Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training; MIND.
NB: This list does not include all of the workshops and training events that I've attended over the years.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
The Association for Counselling and Therapy Online
The Association for Counselling and Therapy Online
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
From £40.00 to £50.00
Sessions & Fees
- Counselling sessions are up to 50 minutes long.
- Counselling sessions can be arranged on a weekly or fortnightly basis; or as one off single sessions.
- My fees are £40.00 per session for individual counselling and £50.00 per session for couples counselling.
Currently I only offer face-to-face counselling sessions on Mondays.
Availability and Practice Location:
Face-to-face counselling sessions are available on:
- Mondays: 9.30am - 4.30pm
My counselling room is located within discrete professional premises that provide handwashing and toilet facilities; our clinic adheres to Covid-19 guidance.
There is free, off road, car parking space to the front of the premises.
My contact details are not intended as a form of emergency support. If you, or anybody you know, are at risk of serious harm, I advise you to contact your GP or the appropriate emergency services immediately.
Alternatively, you can contact the Samaritans 24hr helpline on: 116 123 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for taking the time to read my profile.