Sarai Monk MA Psychodynamic Psychotherapist, MBACP Reg Counsellor
I have been practicing as a Psychodynamic Psychotherapist since 2014, combining my skills and experience from 18 years working as a Senior Yoga Teacher & Trainer (YAP accredited) with in-depth psychotherapeutic expertise specialising in trauma work.
I offer a safe and non-judgmental environment where you can explore the difficulties that you seek help with. I am offering short-term and open-ended psychodynamic psychotherapy and counselling.
Many different reasons can bring us to therapy. I believe long lasting change is possible by exploring the underlying meaning of your thoughts and feelings, behaviour, and relationships with others. A psychodynamic approach, as I use it, focuses on assisting you to work through dynamics that might be keeping you in a way of being that is inhibiting or painful, so that you can connect with more vitality and reach for your potential.
Whether you have experienced trauma, or suffer from anxiety, depression, loss, relationship issues, stress, addictions, eating disorders, abuse, neglect, OCD, or loss of meaning in life, therapy can help.
In my therapeutic work my psychodynamic approach is enriched by my understanding of an embodied mind, due to my background in yoga and mindfulness. My work is informed by the latest research in neuroscience, and attachment theory. My special interest lies in working with trauma on a bodily level (Bessel van der Kolk, 2014) from a psychodynamic perspective.
Currently I see individual clients in my private practice in Raynes Park, Tooting and Wandsworth. I work as a Psychodynamic Psychotherapist in a specialist NHS Trauma Service at the Tavistock Clinic.
Your Counselling Sessions
Initially we will meet for two - four assessment sessions. During this time we can think together about how this way of working could help you. You can ask questions, experience how I work, and decide whether you feel comfortable working with me. Sessions last 50 minutes and take place weekly at the agreed time, except during bank holidays and breaks (summer, Easter, and Christmas).
Currently I have availability for time-limited, short term treatment. To inquire and arrange an initial consultation simply call or email me.
Other Relevant Information
I adhere to the BACP code of ethics and good practice, and undertake regular supervision as specified by the BACP guidelines.
I am committed to continuing my professional development and keep up to date with the latest research.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Certificate in Counselling Skills, WPF London
- Foundations in Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
- MA Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, University of Essex
- Inter-Cultural Psychodynamic Psychotherapy, Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
- Psychotherapist, Trauma Service, Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
- Psychotherapist, Adult Complex Needs, Tavistock and Portman NHS Foundation Trust
- Psychotherapist, Camden and Islington NHS Psychotherapy Service
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anorexia nervosa
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Work-related stress
Peak times £75, off peak £65
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Monday - Friday 9am - 9pm
Types of client