Sarah Smyth (Ray) MSc, PGDip(Rel.Therapy),MBACP(Reg.)
I am now offering counselling online during the current lockdown.
Concessionary rates for social care and health professionals.
I am an experienced relationship therapist who specialises in working with couples, families and individuals. I am aware of how difficult coming to therapy can be we will work at a pace which suits you. Feedback would suggest I am warm and accepting making it easier to talk about fears, guild and shame from the past as well as hopes and dreams for the future.
Difficulties may be linked to failure to make and sustain partnerships or the loss of the 'spark' in an intimate relationship. The main problem may be work related stress; a manager, colleagues or workload impacting on family life. Loss, neglect, physical and mental illness all have an impact Irrespective of the reason relationship issues have a huge impact on our health, happiness and well being. I am able to offer a safe space to explore what is happening now, the impact of past experiences and support to make the necessary changes to enhance current and future relationships.
Recent experience includes:
-On line 'affairs' - sexting
- Physical condition impacting on relationship
- Spouse with dementia
- Anxiety & Depression
- Loss of intimacy
- Work related stress
- Affairs and betrayals
- Separation and Divorce
- Loss and bereavement
- Child related issues
- Past physical and sexual abuse
- Low self esteem
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post Graduate Diploma in Relationship Therapy
- Certificate in Counselling Supervision
- Level 1 - Certificate in Narrative Therapy
- Primary Certificate in Stress Management
- Basic CBT Course
- Currently on a Foundation Course in Group Analysis
- Adult Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
- Working with clients who self harm
- Working with suicidal clients
- Understanding more about eating disorders
- Creative Interventions in Counselling
- Understanding more about Personality Disorders
Counselling formally since 1999
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS LINKED TO WORKING WITH PEOPLE AT TIMES OF CRISIS
Academic - MSc
- Registered Nurse (1966) - no longer on Register
- Registered Children's Nurse (1968) - no longer on Register
- Certificate of Qualification in Social Work (1972) - no longer on Register
40 years + extensive experience of working with families, individuals with physical and mental health problems, abuse, addiction, suicide and self harm.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£50 per hour - individuals
£60 per hour - couples
£40 for 1.5 hours
Weekdays - Weds to Friday Evening - Mon - Thurs
In addition to counselling and supervision I have developed and delivered workshops on the following:
- Exploring Forgiveness
- Exploring Fear (Dec 2017)
- Why do couples chose each other What is this thing called love?
- Adult Attachments and its impact on relationships
- Understanding and managing conflict
- Understanding more about affairs
- The Nature of Trust
- Fear, Shame and Anger
- Enhancing relationships at home, work and play
- Working with Genograms
Available for a reasonable fee to organisations