Sara Rourke BSc (Hons), PGDip, MBACP
50 Greek Street
338 City Road
07377 683 407
I am a registered member of the BACP and an insured psychotherapist. I work in a NHS London hospital in secondary care, and also at a highly specialised clinic for Dissociative Disorders (complex trauma), as both a psychotherapist and support therapist. My private practice is in Soho and Islington.
A specialist area of interest is Dissociative Identity Disorder, and working with complex trauma.
Psychotherapy can seem mysterious and there are many ways in which different professionals express what this process means to them. In my approach, I believe psychotherapy facilitates a process of exploration, which through a safe, confidential and non-judgmental relationship can aid self-development and encourage growth, which can underpin long lasting change.
I believe that while theories are important, each person’s situation is also unique.
The foundation for psychotherapy, is the relationship which is formed between you and I. The creation of this non-judgmental, confidential space, allows for a safe and contained exploration of the self.
How I Work
As we journey through your experiences; past, future and present, patterns can be recognised. We can bring to light aspects of oneself that cause distress and unhappiness. This in-depth process is unique to each person and the therapeutic relationship that develops.
My orientation to psychotherapy is an integration of relational psychodynamic ideas, attachment psychoanalytic psychotherapy and existential psychotherapy. This means that I am interested in exploring with you, your thoughts and feelings, your assumptions, values and beliefs. Together we explore your sense of self, your relationships with other people and relationship to the world in general.
Training, qualifications & experience
My main training was at Regent’s University and The University of Liverpool. I have also attended courses at The Bowlby Centre and the International and European Society for Trauma and Dissociation. I am committed to on going training and attend various courses and professional development seminars. I am an active member of the Society for Existential Analysis. I also hold a BSc (Hons) in Psychology from University of Liverpool.
- Regent's University - Psychotherapy and Counselling MA (ongoing)
- Regent's University - Psychotherapy and Counselling PG Dip.
- Regent's University - Foundation Diploma in Psychotherapy and Counselling
- University of Liverpool - BSc (Hons) Psychology
- European Society for Trauma & Dissociation - Foundation in Trauma & Dissociation
- Institute of Psychoanalysis - lecture series
- The Bowlby Centre - Various CPD courses
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Carer support
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship issues
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Dissociative Identity Disorder
I offer a free 50 minute initial meeting.
I charge between £75-£100 per 50 min session, on a sliding scale depending on income.
I offer a few low cost therapy places, which are currently full, but please enquire to join the waiting list.
What can therapy help with?
- depression, anxiety and stress
- grief, loss and bereavement
- addictions (food, drugs and alcohol, gambling, sex etc)
- trauma, neglect, physical, sexual and mental abuse
- identity, meaning and purpose
- attachment, relationship and interpersonal issues
- anger and emotional difficulties
- disorders (including personality disorders such as ASPD, SAD, BPD, anxiety disorders, dissociative disorders)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I have availabiliy on Mon mornings, Tues afternoon/eve, Friday eve and some availaiblity on weekend. For other times please enquire. I also offer Skype and phone sessions
Types of client