Sara Dowsett - Qualified Counsellor & Psychologist in training
The Coastal Practice
Therapy is an opportunity for change and a means of structured support at times of difficulty within your life.
As your therapist, I will work alongside you to explore your concerns and provide an insight into your past, current and desired emotional wellbeing. Talking through your personal issues with someone who plays no other role in your life can provide clarity on even the most complex of issues and a welcomed sense of relief.
The three main models of therapy I use:
- Psychodynamic therapy – a means of identifying how your past relationships, past patterns of behaviours and childhood experiences are playing out today.
- CBT - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy explores the way you think and subsequently behave. This is a pro-active form of therapy whereby we will work together to achieve your specific goals commonly concerning feelings of anxiety and depression.
- Humanistic therapy - a person-centred approach that places emphasis on the conditions of the therapeutic relationship. The aim of this therapy is to develop your sense of self and provide clarity on your current thoughts and feelings.
Underpinning these varying approaches to therapy is a continued focus on how you relate with others. Working relationally means I will analyse your established patterns of relating and use the therapeutic relationship as a template for understanding and exploring this notion further.
I offer therapy to adults and young people aged 17 and over. I work from the Coastal Practice in Hengistbury Head, a peaceful and professional practice near to the beach. It has three welcoming therapy rooms and is a pleasant and appropriate environment for therapy to take place (photos of the practice can be found below).
Training, qualifications & experience
I have trained over ten years in various training establishments. I am currently engaging in my third university degree in psychology. In addition to this, I engage in regular continued professional development courses, regular clinical supervision and attend yearly conferences to ensure that my knowledge within this field remains up to date.
- Professional Doctorate in Counselling Psychology Degree (2016 - completion: 2019)
- Masters (MSc) Clinical Psychology Degree (2015-2016)
- BSc Psychology, First Class Honours Degree (2012-2015)
- Advanced Diploma in Counselling (2007-2009)
- Member of the British Association for Counsellors and Psychotherapist
- Graduate Member of the British Psychological Society
Once I have completed my current training course (May 2019) I will be a HCPC qualified Counselling Psychologist. The course places emphasis on the integration of counselling and psychology with a focus on psychological theories and research. Engagement in further training enables me to remain on top of the current affairs within the counselling and psychology field and also allows me to broaden my existing clinical skills and conduct relevant psychological research.
I have engaged in various roles as a counsellor over the past ten years including working for the local authority as a young person’s counsellor. I have also worked within the local child protection service and as a secondary school counsellor. Additionally I have worked as an adult’s addictions counsellor, for a bereavement charity and as an assistant psychologist at a neurological rehabilitation centre. In addition to my private practice role, I have also worked for Dorset NHS as a therapist and at both universities within Bournemouth (Bournemouth University and Bournemouth Arts University).
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Child related issues
- Eating disorders
- Family issues
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
Photos & videos
I charge £50 per 50 minute session.
This payment can either be paid online via a BACS payment or in cash. A receipt of payment will be issued to you at the end of each session.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact me either by phone or email.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client