Dr Samantha Baradhi (CPsychol) Counselling Psychologist & Psychosexual Therapist
Dr Samantha Baradhi - Chartered Counselling Psychologist and Accredited Psychosexual Therapist.
Samantha is registered as a Practitioner Psychologist with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC) and abides by the ethics and principles of the British Psychological Society (BPS) as a Chartered Psychologist and the College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists (COSRT) as an Accredited Psychosexual Therapist.
Samantha provides both psychotherapy and psychosexual therapy to adults, couples and young people above the age of 14 years. She currently divides her clinic hours between her NHS post and independent practice, which has been established at The Broughty Practice, Dundee since 2006.
Psychotherapy gives an opportunity to focus on your difficulties as you see them, in a safe, therapeutic and helpful way, to gain insight and improve psychological wellbeing. As a counselling psychologist, Samantha works in an integrative, relational and attachment focused way. She has a special interest in schema therapy which focuses on understanding how early life experiences have contributed to emotional and relational difficulties that can be long-standing and complex. Therapy works towards achieving greater insight and focusing on emotional and behavioural change to unhelpful life patterns, enhancing wellbeing.
Psychological assessment, a humanistic stance and collaborative formulation underpin the therapy relationship, while an integration of therapeutic models allows Samantha to work with each individual's specific needs and goals.
Samantha has training and experience in several core psychological modalities; cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) / trauma-focused CBT, systemic therapy, person-centred, schema therapy, psychosexual therapy, EMDR and mindfulness. She is an accredited psychosexual therapist with extensive experience of working with sexual difficulties across the life span.
Dr. Baradhi is qualified in the following approaches to psychological therapy
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CBT)
- Schema Therapy (Accreditation Pending with the ISST)
- Trauma Focused Psychotherapy for those struggling with the impact of traumatic experiences or post traumatic stress disorder.
- Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing (EMDR - Levels 1, 2 and 3)
- Compassion-Focused Psychotherapy (CFT)
- Cognitive Behaviour Analysis System of Psychotherapy (CBASP) for chronic or persistent depression
- Systemic Family Therapy
- Humanistic Person Centred Therapy
For further details please visit www.dundeepsychologist.co.uk.
Sexual difficulties can affect anybody at any stage of life causing distress, anxiety and relationship problems. Psychosexual Therapy is a unique and effective form of psychotherapy which focuses on helping people overcome sexual problems.
- It may be that you never seem to be in the mood for sex anymore (Low Sexual Desire).
- You might be finding sex painful and this has caused you to avoid it altogether, or it has made intercourse impossible to achieve (Dyspareunia or Vaginisimus)
- Sexual arousal may be difficult to attain or maintain resulting in problems getting or maintaining an erection (for men) or lubricating enough to make sex pleasurable (for women) (Erection Difficulties or Arousal Disorder).
- Orgasm happens rapidly, long before you would like it to or does not happen at all (Rapid Ejaculation or Inhibited Ejaculation).
- There has been a general breakdown in your sexual relationship and you don't know how to get it started again.
- Sex is surrounded by fear and uncontrollable anxiety (Trauma, Sexual Aversion or Phobias).
- You may want to explore your sexual and/or gender identity.
Sex therapy is for adults of all ages, whether heterosexual, bisexual, lesbian or gay; single people and couples who are married, cohabiting or living separately.
You do not have to be in a current relationship to benefit from psychosexual therapy, but if you are currently in a relationship you will benefit most from coming along together. The first step is an assessment where we can meet and talk through the problems you are experiencing before deciding the best way forward.
Psychosexual therapy is a talking therapy where both the physical and psychological aspects of the sexual difficulty will be considered, however, you will be given tasks to do in the privacy of your own home. These 'homework' sessions are an important part of the programme and are designed specifically to alleviate anxiety, build confidence and to help bring about lasting change. I work integratively, combining cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT) with humanistic and systemic psychological approaches to suit each unique couple or individual and I strive to keep my practice informed by the most recent and relevant research in the area. I have a special interest in schema therapy for both couples and individuals.
Seeking help with a sexual problem can be hard to do. It can seem much easier to ignore it and hope it will resolve itself. Sometimes it may, but in those cases where it does not there is professional help available. "I wish we had done this sooner" is a phrase I hear often.
Clinical Supervision & Consultancy
I can offer supervision and consultancy to any practitioner involved in providing psychosexual therapy. This includes psychosexual & relationship therapists who are qualified or in training, working in private practice, the NHS or other organisational settings.
Supervision is also offered to counselling psychologists in training. Please contact me if this is something you would like to discuss.
My details can be found on the British Psychological Society’s Register of Applied Psychology Practice Supervisors (RAPPS). This is an online search facility for those searching for a psychology supervisor and is designed to recognise psychologists with specific training and experience in supervision.
Dr Baradhi is based at The Broughty Practice for Osteopathic Medicine, an award-winning and established independent healthcare practice in the centre of Broughty Ferry, just outside Dundee.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Doctorate (DPsych) in Counselling Psychology (Glasgow Caledonian University) 2016
- Diploma in Psychosexual Therapy (Relate Central, Rugby) 2006.
- BSc (Hons) Psychology (Goldsmiths College, University of London) 1998
Further Professional Training
- Schema Therapy Certification/Accreditation (Schema Therapy Scotland)
- Trauma-Focused Psychotherapy
- Eye Movement Desensitisation & Reprocessing (EMDR - Parts 1, 2 & 3)
- Cognitive Behavioural Analysis System of Psychotherapy (CBASP)
- Mindfulness Group Facilitation (Stanton Psychological Services)
- Systemic Couple Therapy (Relate Central, Rugby)
- Sexual Crucible Therapy Masterclasses (with David Schnarch & Ruth Morehouse)
- Foundation in Family Therapy & Systemic Practice (Family Therapy Training Network)
- Certificate in Clinical Supervision (Accredited by the British Psychological Society)
- Certificate in Sexual and Relationship Psychotherapy (Porterbrook NHS Clinic, Sheffield)
- Certificate in Psychodynamic Marital Psychotherapy (London Marriage Guidance)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Attachment disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Hearing voices
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Relationship problems
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Psychosexual & Relationship Therapy
£70 per hourly session for individual self-funded appointments.
£80 per hourly session for couple self-funded appointments.
If a third party has to be involved at any point, the fee will be higher and will be determined on a case by case basis. Third parties may, for example, be insurance or rehabilitation companies, Employee Assistance Programme providers, training organisations, employers, statutory or legal bodies.
Our chartered membership reflects the highest standard of psychological knowledge and expertise. It is our gold standard, demonstrating a commitment to professional development and high ethical standards of practice, teaching and research. Our chartered members are entitled to use the designation 'CPsychol'.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I can currently offer individual clinical supervision to psychosexual and relationship therapists, whether in training, private or NHS settings. .