Sam Gibbons BA (Hons) MBACP Registered - Psychotherapeutic Counsellor
I am a BACP registered and professionally trained and qualified counsellor. I offer a friendly and approachable counselling service to adults and young people (16yrs+) either online, via telephone, or face-to-face in Surbiton and Twickenham.
Making initial contact with a counsellor or psychotherapist can be difficult, and many people feel anxious in doing so. My aim is to make this process as supportive as possible for you; I offer a professional counselling service which is warm, empathic, non-judgemental, and flexible to your needs.
What has brought you here?
People come to counselling and psychotherapy for a variety of reasons. These may include feelings of distress, hopelessness, anxiety and/or unease, and often not knowing quite why you feel this way; a sense that ‘something just doesn’t feel quite right’. Maybe you are experiencing problematic thoughts and behaviours – thinking, feeling and/or behaving in ways which may lead to feelings of embarrassment, shame, or feeling a need to disappear. Or maybe you are experiencing feelings of low self-esteem, feeling depressed and unable to engage with life, feeling pessimistic, misunderstood and alienated.
Sometimes, people feel able to talk about their difficulties with a close friend or relative, but often these problems can feel too difficult, or too personal to discuss within a conventional relationship. Others may feel that they ‘should’ be able to work through such issues on their own, but they somehow feel that they are just too big.
How I can help
With the help of an objective and professional therapist, counselling allows you the opportunity to explore your thoughts and feelings in a safe and supportive environment, helping you make sense of the troubling conflicts between your emotions and your behaviour, and allowing the opportunity for positive change to take place.
The way I work is integrative and relational. But what does this mean?
Integrative refers to the multiplicity of theories and approaches from which I am able to draw upon during counselling. These include Humanistic therapies (incorporating Existential, Transactional Analysis, Person-Centred and Transpersonal Counselling), Developmental-Psychodynamic Counselling, and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT).
As a Relational counsellor I believe the patterns of living and relating that emerge and develop within our personal relationships – with our family, our friends, our colleagues, the wider-environment, and also with ourselves, are central to who we are, how we feel, and how we behave. This includes the relationship shared between us as client and counsellor. During therapy, close attention is paid to what is happening between us; this helps us to build a strong working relationship built on trust and genuine acceptance whilst, crucially, allowing us the chance to identify difficult patterns of relating and problem management in a safe, contained and supported manner.
Engaging together in this way, we are able to create a collaborative working relationship and focus together on your issues, using a method that best suits you and your unique situation.
I have experience in helping people work through a broad range of issues, including;
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-esteem
- Suicidal thoughts and feelings
- Grief and loss
- Family issues
- Panic attacks
- Childhood abuse
- Bipolar Disorder/Manic Depression
- Asperger’s syndrome
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Obsessive thoughts and behaviours
I have particular experience in working with issues of self-identity versus the pressures and difficulties of fitting in with society.
Training, qualifications & experience
In addition to my private practice, I work as an NHS counsellor (since 2015), and have considerable experience as a bereavement counsellor, having worked for a local bereavement charity. I also work as a specialist mentor with university students experiencing a range of learning challenges and mental health difficulties.
- First-class BA (Hons) in Integrative-Relational Counselling – Middlesex University
- Certified Cyber Therapist (BACP endorsed online counselling) – Online Therapy Institute
- Certificate in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction – Kingston College
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – Institute of Counselling
- Diploma in Cognitive Coaching and Mentoring (in progress) – Institute of Counselling
- AQA Level 2 Certificate in Counselling Skills – Kingston College
- Bereavement by Suicide
- Working with Diversity
- Alcohol Addiction and Readiness for Counselling
- Working with Autism
- Autism and Communication
- Autism and Sensory Awareness
- Autism, Stress and Anxiety
- Autism and Supporting Families
- Autism - Women and Girls
- Working with Depression
- Core Beliefs of 'Never Good Enough'
I am a registered member with the BACP, and strictly adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice.
I am a registered member of ACTO (Association for Counselling and Therapy Online), committed to providing and maintaining the highest standards of online counselling and telehealth.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
I offer 50 minute counselling appointments Monday to Saturday. I can accept payment by way of cash, cheque, credit/debit card (in-person transactions only), direct bank transfer, and PayM.
- Face-to-face counselling – Monday to Friday: £60 per session
- Face-to-face counselling – Saturday: £70 per session
- Online counselling – Monday to Saturday: £50 per session
- Telephone counselling – Monday to Saturday: £50 per session
I also offer payment packages for pre-paid block bookings (terms apply – please contact me or visit my website for more details);
- 6 x face-to-face counselling sessions – Monday to Friday: £330
- 6 x face-to-face counselling sessions – Saturday: £390
- 6 x online counselling sessions – Monday to Saturday: £270
- 6 x telephone counselling sessions – Monday to Saturday: £270
I reserve a small number of reduced-fee spaces for people experiencing financial hardship - please contact me to discuss concessional options.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|