Ruth Hope Pg Dip, Reg'ed MBACP. Counsellor
I'm Ruth. I am a counsellor, fully qualified and experienced to work with adults and young people.
I work one-to-one with adults and young people aged 12 years and over from my counselling room in Kilmarnock.
I provide a safe, confidential, non-judgemental, authentic and empathic counselling space to help my clients explore problems or difficulties they are living with, either on a long or short term basis.
If you have been considering counselling or you feel it could benefit you, or a young person, please get in touch. Working together, we will explore and work on the problem or issues you have come to counselling for. We will discuss your present, your past and work towards your future aims and goals. Always at your pace and directed by you.
Your individual needs are key and are tailored through my way of working of integrating Humanistic/Person-Centred Counselling, compatible elements from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), the Relational Psychodynamic Approach and the Proactive Model.
I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and work within their ethical framework for good practice.
I am a PVG Scheme member.
I carry professional indemnity insurance.
Training, qualifications & experience
My training to becoming a practicing counsellor began in 2008 with my first Postgraduate (BACP accredited) course in Counselling Skills. I continued onto completing two further courses achieving:
- A Postgraduate Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling [Integrative Pathway] (BACP accredited course), and
- A Postgraduate Diploma Counselling Children and Young People
My experience builds on over ten years of working with clients of differing ages, ethnicities, genders, sexualities and backgrounds, who have sought counselling for a diverse range of problems and issues.
Presently I work within:
- My own practice, which I began in 2012.
- A charity, where I provide support for Survivors of rape and childhood sexual abuse, aged 13 years and above.
- A service as a specially trained perinatal counsellor, working one-to-one with expectant or new parents experiencing anxiety, depression, low self-esteem or any other negative feelings before or after having their baby/babies.
Previously I have worked within:
- A Secondary School as a School Based Counsellor, working with 11 to 18-year-olds.
- The counselling service of a housing association, working predominantly with young mothers who, for a range of reasons, accessed the association for support.
- A mental health and wellbeing service, where I offered counselling and support to anyone living with, recovering from and/or affected by depression.
- A project that predominantly offered support and counselling to any adults living with or affected by alcohol problems. I also worked with clients who accessed counselling through the project for other substance abuse issues too.
I consider it a privilege to be a counsellor, it is a role I never take for granted. Throughout my years of practice, I have always been, and continue to be, in awe of anyone who reaches out for help. A desire to tackle issues that are challenging and to invest in your emotional and mental wellbeing, is inspiring. It inspires and contributes to my investment and commitment to my practice. My passion for my role drives me to enrich my personal and professional development. I undertake continuous professional development and training to enhance and maintain my skills and knowledge, to support my practice and own self-awareness, and to ensure that I am working ethically and to the best of my abilities with all of my clients.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Physical abuse
- Relationship problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
Individual Adults & Young People from 12 years
£30 for the initial/introductory 1 hour session, then
£40 per 1 hour session thereafter.
I offer concessionary session fees to individual adults on a very low income and to parents or guardians on a very low income who would be paying the session fees of younger clients (12 to 18 years).
Sessions are booked on a week-to-week basis, although fortnightly sessions are an option.
Please note that session fees for booked sessions cancelled without 24 hours’ notice are payable. This does not apply to the first session.
You can find more details about me and my practice on my website - click on the link in my contact details at the top of this page. But please, do not hesitate to get in touch with me should you need any further information.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer appointments on:
Wednesday afternoons & evenings
Saturday mornings & early afternoons
Types of client