Dr Ruth Hammond Verified Professional Verified Professional
Verified Professional

Every professional displayed on Counselling Directory has been independently verified by our team to ensure they have suitable credentials to practise.

Clinical Psychologist and Cognitive Analytical Therapist

About me

Problems I can help with

Are you feeling sad, anxious or depressed? Do you sometimes feel angry and resentful towards those you love? Are you constantly blaming yourself and others? Do you struggle to assert yourself and feel confident in your relationships?

How can therapy help me?

People often feel anxious and unsure about seeking therapy. You might wonder if your problems are that bad, or feel worried about being judged, or think it there's something wrong with you because you should be able to cope on your own. Taking that first step is hard but therapy can be a powerful experience that can help you understand yourself and make positive changes.

Many people develop ways of thinking, feeling and acting towards themselves and others which keep them stuck and dissatisfied. These patterns are often born out of early relationships with parents and others. I offer therapy, usually for 16 or 24 sessions, that can help you to become more aware of these patterns and how they impact on you and others in your life. This therapy helps you break out of repeating patterns so you feel less stuck and able to make changes to your life and your relationships. This is called Cognitive Analytic Therapy. People usually feel more enlightened, confident and less out of control of their life and relationships.

A bit about me...

I am a clinical psychologist with over 10 years experience working with people with mental health problems in the NHS. I am a warm and friendly person who will work with you to make sense of your difficulties and think with you about how you can make changes. We will do this together so you will not feel so alone.

How to get in touch?

You can call, message or email me and I will respond as soon as possible. We can have a conversation, free of charge, to see whether you'd like to make an initial appointment.

Training, qualifications & experience

I am a clinical psychologist and I have over 10 years experience in working in the NHS with people with a range of difficulties including, but not limited to: anxiety; depression; eating problems; self-esteem issues; obsessive compulsive disorder; stress; trauma and abuse; addictive behaviour; personality disorders; and relationship problems.

  • Qualified clinical psychologist
  • Qualified Cognitive Analytic Therapy practitioner
  • Qualified Mentalisation-based practitioner
  • Qualified Acceptance and Commitment Therapy practitioner

Member organisations

Registered / Accredited

Registered / Accredited

Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.


Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)

The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.

They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.

Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.


The Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapy (ACAT)

The Association for Cognitive Analytic Therapy (ACAT) is a registered charity. They welcome members of the public, health professionals, ACAT accredited professionals, and anyone interested in finding out more about CAT. They list CAT practitioners.


£90.00 per session
Free initial telephone or online session

Additional information

£90/session. Sessions will last for 50 minutes and will take place weekly. The therapy is time-limited, usually 16 or 24 sessions which so you can budget for this.

When I work

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

I am available on Mondays, during the day or evening and some other weekday evenings. Please call, message or email me and I will respond as soon as possible.

Marlow, Buckinghamshire, SL7

Type of session

In person

Types of client

Young people
Older adults