Russell Scullion : Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist
I am a child & adolescent psychotherapist and work in a child and adolescent mental health service CAMHS in the NHS and privately.
I work with children from 0-18 and my professional body allows me to work with young people up to age 25 since it is a specialised child training.
I work with parents- sometimes alone or with their children.
I offer play therapy in the form of individual psychoanalytic child psychotherapy.
I usually work weekly with children or adolescents
I also work with children alongside carers offering play based attachment interventions to build bonds. This is helpful where children have had a disruption to their care.
Therapy may involve drawing and talking as well as play but first and foremost it is a space which is reliable, is offered at the same time each week in the same room. The young person leads with their agenda. Any understandings that together the therapist and young person gain can then be discussed and thought about. Giving children a regular, reliable space to express their feelings can be a valuable means of needed support.
it can be long term or short and focused according to need.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I have a Doctorate level professional training at the Tavistock clinic and at the British Association of Psychotherapists - Qualified Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist
- Previously I practiced as a creative arts therapist and successfully completed full training as a qualified drama therapist
- I have training in DDP and Theraplay which assist in attachment work
- I have 20 years experience as a therapist in CAMHS and previously in a Behavioural Support Service, in schools and a service for children who had been sexually abused.
- I have worked in a number of Therapeutic Community places, offering specialist care for children and adolescents with emotional and behavioural difficulties
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- I offer a range of fees to suit each family and this can be negotiated- please call to discuss.
- When commissioned by an organisation such as a fostering agency, social care or a court I charge a higher fee in the £80- £200 range per session
- I offer a reduced rate for initial meeting to see if it feels like a good match as finding the right person to work with is very important.
I have a particular interest in trauma, depression, looked after children and attachment.
I have offered training in the following areas-
Sand tray worlds
DDP (Dyadic-Developmental Psychotherapy)
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client