Russell Scullion : Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist
Does your child need a place to express themselves in play? Are they in foster care or adopted and do you need support in building attachments that last? I am a drama therapist and have training in attachment interventions such as Theraplay and DDP (Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy). My main qualification is a doctorate level 5 year training in the NHS as a Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist. I work short or long term work from a few weeks to many years.
About Child & Adolescent Psychotherapy
The key to this approach is building a therapeutic relationship – with words, silence, art, drama or play. It is led by the child or young person. It is generally individual and I and the child or young person meet each week at the same time and place. By exploring the issues rather than jumping to a quick-fix of suggestions and strategies we can get to the heart of the matter rather than only work on symptoms.
About DDP and Theraplay
Drama Therapy, which uses play and games can also be used effectively with Theraplay and DDP. Usually best with children under an emotional age of 12, my approach when using these is to work with the child with their carers in the room together. We use play approaches to identify the gaps in development and practical activity to help build things like nurture and closeness between carer and child. Being able to give effective limits and structure to contain behaviours are also important to work with.
What happens next
To get started just call or email me and we can discuss the issues that you would like help with and –without obligation - arrange a time we can meet.
Training, qualifications & experience
- I have a Doctorate level professional training at the Tavistock clinic and at the British Association of Psychotherapists - Qualified Child & Adolescent Psychotherapist
- Previously I practiced as a creative arts therapist and successfully completed full training as a qualified drama therapist
- I have training in DDP and Theraplay which assist in attachment work
- I have 20 years experience as a therapist in CAMHS and previously in a Behavioural Support Service, in schools and a service for children who had been sexually abused.
- I have worked in a number of Therapeutic Community places, offering specialist care for children and adolescents with emotional and behavioural difficulties
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- I offer a reduced rate for initial meeting to see if it feels like a good match as finding the right person to work with is very important.
- I offer a range of fees to suit each family and fostering organisation and this can be negotiated after we have met.
I have a particular interest in trauma, depression, looked after children and attachment.
I have offered training in the following areas:
- Individual Psychotherapy
- Role Play
- Therapeutic Games
- Sand tray worlds
- DDP (Dyadic-Developmental Psychotherapy).
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I offer discounted first sessions at a convenient time for you
Types of client