Words do not always capture our lived experience. As an arts therapist, I am passionate about how creativity can help facilitate health and well-being, connecting one’s mind, body and spirit.
I have worked as Dramatherapist for over sixteen years, with an embodied and felt-sense approach that helps individuals to explore:
- through movement - connecting with your body
- with imagery and metaphor - by making art, stories or writing
- by projection - choosing objects, masks or props
- or by talking
I have supported people from diverse cultural backgrounds who are struggling with a range of mental health issues, childhood trauma, as well as people engaged in periods of change in their lives.
Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
EMDR therapy relieves the symptoms and emotional distress that can result from disturbing life experiences and past traumas. I have extensive experience of working with survivors of childhood sexual abuse and domestic abuse. It is recommended for the treatment of PTSD by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) and the World Health Organisation (WHO).
I offer a safe and confidential space facilitating our work in a structured and playful way to accommodate your needs. How we work together will be unique and evolve over time. Our therapeutic relationship may be focused and short term (eight weeks) or it may need a longer, on-going timescale. We will review regularly to see what has developed on the therapeutic journey.
Creative Supervision and Training
I am a qualified Supervisor offering clinical supervision to therapists, artists or body workers. I offer a reflective space for the supervisee to explore their practice experientially in an embodied and felt sense or by using various art forms. My training includes:
- Body Psychotherapy in Supervision
- Movement and the Body in Supervision
I devise and facilitate bespoke experiential training and workshops for therapists and artists who use their art form with community groups.
Training, qualifications & experience
I am registered as a Dramatherapist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) and abide by their ethical framework. I have an Advanced Diploma in Counselling Supervision (NCS accredited). I am a trained EMDR therapist (a member of EMDR UK & Ireland) and working towards accreditation. I have completed relevant training that enables me to work skillfully and sensitively with different people including:
- Shame in the Therapeutic Relationship
- Dramatherapy with Adult Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse
- Working with survivors of child sexual abuse; using arts interventions safely
- Awareness in Children & Young People’s Bereavement Care
- Working Creatively with Trauma Survivors
- Dissociation, Attachment Theory & Trauma
I am committed to my ongoing professional development and am currently studying with Embodied-Relational Therapy (erthworks.co.uk) which comes from Body Psychotherapy - "approaching human beings as united bodymindspirit".
I am an intuitive and reflective Dramatherapist and have worked with diverse people including:
- women who have experienced complex trauma from domestic abuse and childhood sexual abuse
- children and young people with challenging behaviour, who are ‘looked after’, have complex attachments or who have been bereaved
- adults with mental ill health who have been diagnosed with: dual diagnosis, borderline personality disorder, psychosis, schizophrenia and eating disorders
- young people and adults with learning difficulties
- older people with dementia
I have also worked in the following settings:
- the third sector - Women's Aid, foster care agencies, care homes, therapeutic artists community and arts projects within the community
- the NHS public health sector - psychiatric hospitals, a medium secure unit and a community learning difficulty team
- the education sector - special schools, colleges, pupil referral units and youth projects
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Areas of counselling I deal with
Dramatherapy / Counselling – sixty minute session £45 / ninety minutes = £55
EMDR Therapy - ninety minute session £60
Creative Supervision – sixty minute session = £50 / ninety mins = £60
Concessionary rates are available, please ask
Group Work Fees are by arrangement:
- Training, Workshops or Courses - experiential, interactive sessions tailored for your needs
- Dramatherapy Groups - for counsellors, arts therapists, clients etc
- Creative Supervision - for groups, teams etc
If you have any questions about Dramatherapy, concessionary rates or want to arrange an Initial Meeting please email or text me.
My dedicated Yoga practice and regular classes in the community has sharpened my sensitivity to how we carry our stories in our bodies. Being present and mindful has especially helped in my work with people who have experienced complex trauma.
I have been a playback performer for over fifteen years. Playback is a form of improvised theatre that immediately ‘plays-back’ the audience’s stories using drama, music and poetry. This practice reminds me how 'the personal is also political' and how ‘being witnessed and heard’ can bring about transformation within communities. I am an Accredited Playback Theatre Trainer (www.playbackcentre.org) and a member of the International Playback Theatre Network.
In Wales I am a co-founder and performer with The Golden Thread Playback Theatre company and work with Hijinx Theatre.