I have been counselling for almost thirty years and I am an accredited and registered member of the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy.
In life we all meet challenges, hurt and pain and we sometimes feel we are alone. Through counselling we can change the " I can't" into " I can ....with help".
How Counselling can help:
As an Integrative Counsellor l work to build a therapeutic relationship with my clients so that they can trust, feel respected and not judged. This process helps my clients to begin to reflect on the stage of their lives which they are at, to begin to explore what is causing their pain and to negotiate a way of working together to support the changes they would want to make.
I focus on working with my client as an individual, with an individual history, individual needs and an individual way forward.
"I will listen to your story in a empathic, warm and genuine way to hear how you are experiencing life and together we will explore the problems and find a way of working towards making the changes possible in your life."
My Professional Background and Experience :
As an accredited member I adhere to the BACP Ethical Framework and Code of Practice to ensure I work safely and professionally with each individual client.
Most of my counselling experience has been working in Further and Higher Education with students from adolescence to adults dealing with a diverse and sometimes complex range of issues including Mental Health, Bereavement, Sexual Orientation, Anxiety, Depression, Relationship Problems, Stress, Eating Disorders and Family Breakdowns.
I also worked with an organisation counselling clients who were Survivors of Sexual Abuse.
Throughout my Counselling Career I also lectured and trained counselling students to achieve their counselling qualifications and I have expertise in a wide range of approaches. I was a Course Director for the UU Foundation Degree in Counselling.
All my work is supported with Continuous Professional and Personal Development and Training.
What to expect from counselling with me:
- The first step is always the most challenging but feel free to phone and we can talk through the process. If you get my answering machine just leave your name and number and I will call you back as soon as possible.
- In the first appointment you may feel nervous but my aim is to create a warm environment where you will feel safe to begin telling me about yourself. We will together decide how to work together to understand the problem, to look at what you want to see happen and to set goals to help bring about the changes that you would like to make in your life.
- We can arrange after the first appointment,if you wish to continue, the number of sessions, suitable times and contact details if changes to appointments need to be made.
The Counselling Setting:
The environment I work in is set among trees in a very peaceful, tranquil and confidential environment. It has been described as an "oasis of calmness and escape".
There can be access for those with mobility issues and car parking is available beside the premises.
Training, qualifications & experience
- B.Ed with English, Youth and Community and History.
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling ( Distinction)
- Certificate in Community Drama ( Commendation)
- Diploma in Eating Disorders ( The National Centre for Eating Disorders , London)
- Certificate in CBT Skills and Theory
- Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Skills
- Certificate In Mindfulness
- Nexus Training and Secondment for Practice
- Advanced Diploma in Management Practice ( Distinction)
- BACP Accredited Counsellor / Psychotherapist
- MSc Business Communication
I have also completed courses in:
- Suicide and Self Harm
- ASSIST Training
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder ( PTSD) through a scholarship to Kansas State University
- Motivational Interviewing
- Brief Solution Focused Therapy
- Personal Development Courses
- Child and Vulnerable Adult Protection Training
- Working with Domestic Violence
- Delivery of Assertiveness and Confidence Building Courses
- Wave Trauma: Trauma and Addictions
I have delivered at Conferences and been involved on organisation various workshops and conferences.
- Couples Therapy for Domestic Violence
- Myers-Briggs- Personal Awareness
- Managing Self & Personal Skills and Leadership and Team Working through UU Advanced Diploma in Management
- Addictions Training
- Working with Clients with Cancer and Family Systems
- Art Therapy- ( Kansas State University)
- Drama Therapy ( Kansas State University)
- Working with Depression.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
£40 per Counselling/Therapy Session (50 mins to 1 hour, Initial session to include assessment will last 1 hour to 1 and a half hours).
Concessionary Rates for students.
Appointments can be made both during the day and in the evenings Monday to Friday.