9 Charles Avenue
01953 797622 / 07785 117179
I have worked as a freelance chartered (BPS Member: 90091)and registered counselling psychologist for seventeen years. I am registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC Reg No: PYL23028) and the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP Reg No: 509530). In addition:
- Fifteen years experience as a qualified social worker, in probation and child & family work
- Over twenty years’ experience as a teacher in higher and further education
- Around thirty years working as a counsellor, often working with couples, work-related issues and bereavement or loss. This included on-site work during and after major incidents.
- Over thirty years working in employee assistance, offering support and brief therapy to employees and consultation services to companies.
I have further training and qualifications in professional supervision, family systems, psychological debriefing, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), NLP, eye movement de-sensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR) as well as clinical hypnosis and strategic therapy.
I specialise in brief and solution-focused therapy and this is invaluable to people working on limited budgets.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 1965-68: University College of Swansea, University of Wales - B.Sc(Econ) Joint Honours in Psychology and Social Administration.
- 1969: University College of Swansea, University of Wales - Diploma in Applied Social Studies
- 1983-84: College of Technology, Newcastle upon Tyne - Certificate in Further Education
- 1985-87: University of Dundee - Master of Education
- 1993-4: University College of York and Ripon St. John - Certificate in Counselling Supervision (University of Leeds)
- 1997: Prudence Skynner Clinic, Springfield University Hospital, London - Introductory Certificate in Systemic Therapy.
- 1997-99: Roehampton Institute - MSc in Counselling Psychology.
- 2001: NLP Practitioner Training with Richard Bandler.
- 2003: Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis programme.
- 2002 - 03: Eye Movement De-sensitisation Training (EMDR) Levels One & Two training. Currently, an EMDR Practitioner.
- 2003: Diploma in Brief and Strategic Therapy
- 2008: Practitioner Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Carer support
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic disorder
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Personality disorders
Other areas of counselling I deal with
In recent times, I have specialised in the treatment of post-trauma symptoms and worked with ex-Forces and commercial companies to support people after major incidents. I have an interest in the issues facing older people having to adjust to life changes, e.g. retiral, illness and changing time, including pain management.
I see my strengths as enabling individuals to find a different understanding of their own symptoms and a route through to maintaining their own recovery without further professional support.
- Behavioural therapy
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Cognitive therapy
As I am now semi-retired, I no longer charge the rates required when managing a business. I am open to negotiation about rates, according to the individual's income and need.
The minimum rate is £30 per full hour (not 50 minutes) and the maximum is £60 per hour.
In specific circumstances, I will provide pro bono services (free of any fee), subject to a negotiated payment to a nominated charity.
First meetings, by phone, Skype or face-to-face are free of charge. This ensures you have a chance to find out if we can work together. Both of us would have the right to say 'no'. and no explanations or justifications for that decision are needed. First meetings are likely to last 40 minutes, plus or minus a few minutes.
I have a purpose-designed consulting room at my premises with ample provision for parking - all located in a quiet part of town.
As I live in a rural area, I am used to people visiting from a distance away - through East Anglia and Cambridgeshire. Those travelling a distance, can negotiate double sessions.
For some treatments individuals may need to allocate 90 minutes per session.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||English only|
by agreement. Evenings and week-ends are available, if more convenient. Sessions are in units of 60 minutes, not the commonly-used 50 minutes.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|
Supervision & training
I have additional training in professional supervision - from Ripon and York St John - as well as many years' practical experience.View supervision profile