I am an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society (BPS) and I have worked as a freelance chartered (BPS Member: 90091)and registered counselling psychologist for eighteen years. I am registered with the Health and Care Professionals Council (HCPC Reg No: PYL23028). In addition, I have:
- Fifteen years experience as a qualified social worker, in probation and child & family work
- Over twenty years’ experience as a teacher in higher and further education
- Around thirty years working as a counsellor, often working with couples, work-related issues and bereavement or loss. This included on-site work during and after major incidents.
- Over thirty years working in employee assistance, offering support and brief therapy to employees and consultation services to companies.
I have further training and qualifications in professional supervision, family systems, psychological debriefing, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT), NLP, eye movement de-sensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR) as well as clinical hypnosis and strategic therapy.
I specialise in brief and solution-focused therapy and this is invaluable to people working on limited budgets.
Training, qualifications & experience
- 1965-68: University College of Swansea, University of Wales - B.Sc(Econ) Joint Honours in Psychology and Social Administration.
- 1969: University College of Swansea, University of Wales - Diploma in Applied Social Studies
- 1983-84: College of Technology, Newcastle upon Tyne - Certificate in Further Education
- 1985-87: University of Dundee - Master of Education
- 1993-4: University College of York and Ripon St. John - Certificate in Counselling Supervision (University of Leeds)
- 1997: Prudence Skynner Clinic, Springfield University Hospital, London - Introductory Certificate in Systemic Therapy.
- 1997-99: Roehampton Institute - MSc in Counselling Psychology.
- 2001: NLP Practitioner Training with Richard Bandler and Paul McKenna.
- 2003: Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis programme.
- 2002 - 03: Eye Movement De-sensitisation Training (EMDR) Levels One & Two training. Currently, an EMDR Practitioner.
- 2003: Diploma in Brief and Strategic Therapy
- 2008: Practitioner Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 16 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
British Psychological Society
British Psychological Society
Areas of counselling I deal with
Other areas of counselling I deal with
In recent times, I have specialised in the treatment of post-trauma symptoms and worked with ex-Forces and commercial companies to support people after major incidents. I have an interest in the issues facing older people having to adjust to life changes, e.g. retiral, illness and changing time, including pain management.
I see my strengths as enabling individuals to find a different understanding of their own symptoms and a route through to maintaining their own recovery without further professional support. My preferred way of working is to enable you to devise safe experiments and promote change through a series of small victories and small defeats. See more details on:
I am published in the area of Handling Aggression and Violence in the Work-Place.
As I am now semi-retired, I no longer charge the rates required when I was managing a business. I am open to negotiation about rates, according to the individual's income and need.
The minimum rate is £40 per full hour (not 50 minutes) and the maximum is £70 per hour.
In specific circumstances, I will provide pro bono services (free of any fee), subject to a negotiated payment to a nominated charity.
All first meetings - on line, by phone, or face-to-face are free of charge. This ensures you have a chance to find out if we can work together. Both of us would have the right to say 'no'. and no explanations or justifications for that decision are needed. First meetings are likely to last 50 minutes, plus or minus a few minutes.
I have a purpose-designed consulting room at my premises with ample provision for parking - all located in a quiet part of town.
As I live in a rural area, I am used to people visiting from a distance away - through East Anglia and Cambridgeshire. Those travelling a distance, can negotiate double sessions.
For some treatments individuals may need to allocate 90 minutes per session.