Robin Lewis B.A. (Hons), Dip & MSc Counselling
I am an experienced and qualified counsellor who has been seeing clients since 2002. I can offer one-to one, face to face counselling with adults and older teenagers. I work mainly from therapeutic rooms in Stroud centre but would consider home visits in the locality.
The reasons why people come to me are many and varied. They include difficulties like confusion, overload, anxiety, depression, lack of direction, feeling stuck, work issues, confidence, jealousy, sexuality, loneliness, anger, recovering from addiction, harm, trauma, relationships, loss, bereavement and struggles and coping with life in general. I have found most people have a combination of these and other issues can arise from them. Often it is important to have the time and space to talk to someone who has the skills, approach and experience to help you through difficult and challenging periods in your life.
My main aim is to start by building a strong, warm, collaborative, working relationship. During this time we can together explore what is going on and endeavour to find some clarity. I have found that this in itself can be very important for clients. Then, when you are ready, we explore a little deeper and we can move towards looking at some possible changes that might help to make life more manageable, rewarding and fulfilling. My way of working means that I will endeavour to work alongside you in a “two heads are better than one” approach.
I have not only studied counselling to Masters level at Bristol University but have also gone on to train and teach counselling since 2005. I have taught several hundred counselling trainees, most of whom have gone on to become successful counsellors. I believe that this has helped me enormously to become a skilled practitioner who is able to work safely and successfully with my clients.
My therapeutic work has been mainly working with adults on a one to one basis as a private and volunteer counsellor. I have worked up until recently as a student counsellor at a local 6th form college with sixteen to nineteen year old clients. I also taught this age group in colleges for twenty years up until 2006 so have a lot of experience working with young adults and adolescents.
I am currently based at Gloucestershire Counselling Service in Stroud.
I am a Registered Member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists.
Training, qualifications & experience
Work and Qualifications
- 1980 - 83 B.A (hons) Sociology - University of Staffordshire
- 1984 – 85 PGCE (FE) Communications - University of Wolverhampton
- 1985 - 86 Teacher of English as a Foreign Language - Lisbon, Portugal
- 1987 – 99 College Lecturer - East Berkshire College
- 2000 – 02 College Lecturer - Gloucester College
- 2002 – 04 College Lecturer - City of Bristol College
- 2004 – now College Lecturer - South Glos. and Stroud College
- 2001 – 03 Diploma in Counselling - University of Bristol
- 2003 – 06 MSc in Counselling - University of Bristol
- 2002 -03 Trainee & Volunteer Counsellor - Cotswold Counselling & Support Centre
- 2003 – 08 Private Practice - Kemble and Dursley Therapy Centres
- 2008 – 16 Student Counsellor - Cirencester College
- 2016 – 18 Volunteer Counsellor - Cotswold Counselling & Support Centre
- 2018 – now Private Practice - Stroud (based at Glos. Counselling Service)
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Hearing voices
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Relationship problems
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex problems
- Suicidal thoughts
- Tourette's syndrome
- Work-related stress
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Searching for lost parents/childen.
My fees are £50 per hour but I will look at concessions for those on lower income.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Types of client