Robert Parkes MSc (BABCP Accredited)
Please note - Telephone / Skype appointments are available.
I am a BABCP (British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies) Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Psychotherapist and Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) Practitioner.
For over a decade, I have been working with individuals who have common (mild to moderate) and severe mental health health difficulties. I have worked within the voluntary / third sector as well as the NHS for nearly 10 years within a Primary Care department.
I am able to provide one to one CBT or EMDR therapy for anxiety and low mood difficulties such as:
> Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
> Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
> Illness Anxiety Disorder
> Social Anxiety Disorder
> Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
> Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
> Panic Disorder / Panic Attacks
> Specific Phobias
As a psychological therapist for some years now, I am an experienced practitioner who is empathic, warm and able to take a collaborative approach to helping a person manage their difficulties.
If you would like to find out more about the course of treatment that could be offered to you, please do not hesitate to make contact. I am able to offer mostly evenings appointments within the Central Manchester area.
Training, qualifications & experience
Psychological Therapist - The National Health Service / NHS (2012 - 2019)
- Providing screening and modality focussed (CBT and EMDR) assessments for an NHS IAPT+ department with a view to offering treatment, signposting to more appropriate services or liaising with other departments re: onward referrals.
- Offering CBT and EMDR treatment to client’s with common mental health difficulties (moderate to severe).
- Facilitation of group CBT that centred on the tackling of low self-esteem issues.
- Experience of therapeutic work with clients from a variety of backgrounds and cultures.
Providing supervision to junior therapists on an individual and group basis.
- Designated Safeguarding lead, looking to provide supervision and support to colleagues when safeguarding concerns are raised following assessments / treatments.
- The completion of regular triage in order to ensure those being referred would be accessing the most appropriate support.
Group Facilitator - The Change Project (2018)
- Using evidence based interventions, within a group environment, aiming to help perpetrators of domestic abuse to challenge their difficulties and change their disruptive behaviour.
- The Respect accredited programme aimed to help men who were ready for change and to stop further domestic abuse being directed towards current and past partners by educating them about abuse and teaching them tools that they could use to manage their experiences.
- Qualified EMDR Therapist
- Postgraduate Diploma in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Postgraduate Certificate in Low Intensity Psychological Wellbeing Practice
- Masters of Science – Addictive Behaviours
- Bachelor of Science – Psychology
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies
The BABCP is the lead organisation for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy in the UK.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in the practice, theory or development of CBT. BABCP also provides accreditation for CBT therapists.
BABCP accredited members adhere to the Standards of Conduct, Performance and Ethics in the Practice of Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies, and are willing to be scrutinised in this adherence as required.
Areas of counselling I deal with
• Free 15-30 minute telephone consultation prior to sessions
• Assessment (60 minutes) - £80
• Treatment (60 minutes) - £70