Rita Deegan PG /Dip MBACP(Accred), BA/Dip SW
I am a qualified and experienced psychotherapist and psychodynamic counsellor, working in private practice and by Skype and telephone. Located in Enfield Town Centre, with private parking, bus, train (minutes away) and tube to Outer, North and Central London, A10, M11, and M25.
With many years experience of working as a psychotherapist and social worker, I understand the importance of peoples mental and emotional health and its effects on their daily lives and relationships. I am familiar with most of the causes of human distress and aware that people come to counselling for reasons that are as unique as they are as individuals.
It may be to do with feelings of sadness, depression,panic, generalised anxiety, phobias, compulsions, major life changes, family crisis, relationships, separation, divorce, bereavement, post-natal depression, health, addiction, trauma or disability. It may also be to do with identity, ageing, dislocation, or to explore and gain personal insight, or perhaps to figure out what they want to do in the rest of their lives.
I offer short-term, intermediate and open-ended therapy, with regular confidential 50 minute sessions, according to what is needed and what the person wants to achieve. Current and past experiences, difficulties, conflicts and dilemmas can be talked about, helping to create better understanding and possibilities for more satisfying relationships and experiences in daily life.
I offer a culturally sensitive service for people from diverse backgrounds, life experiences and age groups. This includes therapy, supervision and assessments with young people, adults, couples, families and groups.
I also provide supervision to psychotherapists, counsellors, trainees, social workers and therapy sessions to clients of employees assistance and privately insured clients.
Training, qualifications & experience
I have over 17 years experience of working as a therapist and supervisor with people. This work involved individuals, couples, families and groups in London, in a range of multicultural mental health and community organisations settings and in private practice.
I also worked in rural and urban Ireland providing therapy, clinical supervision for therapists in the Irish Health Service Executive, regional Rape Crisis Centre, and senior mangement and frontline staff in regional disability sector organisations. This work involved bereavement counselling, individual/group therapy, clinical supervision of complex need and risk assessments issues.
My background is in social work and I am registered member of the HCPC SW76029.
Training & qualifications
- Certificate in Peron Centred Counselling and Personal Development
- Certificate in Psychosynthesis
- Ba/Dip Social Work from Middlesex University
- Certificate in Counselling Skills
- Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Psychodynamic Counselling
- Certificate in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Nafsiyat-Certificate in Intercultural Therapy
- Medical Foundation for Care of Victims of Torture (Freedom from Torture) Work Seminars
- Tavistock Clinic (NHS) Young Peoples Consultation Service
- Disability Psychotherapy Ireland Work Seminar Group
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Antisocial personality disorder
- Asperger's syndrome
- Attachment disorder
- Avoidant personality disorder
- Binge-eating disorder
- Body dysmorphic disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Career counselling
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Chronic fatigue syndrome/ME
- Dependent personality disorder
- Domestic violence
- Drug addiction
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Gender dysphoria
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Histrionic personality disorder
- Internet addiction
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Narcissistic personality disorder
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder
- Panic attacks
- Paranoid personality disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Postnatal depression
- Pregnancy and birth
- Relationship problems
- Schizoid personality disorder
- Schizotypal personality disorder
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Separation and divorce
- Sex addiction
- Sex problems
- Sexual abuse
- Suicidal thoughts
- Work-related stress
- Young carers
Other areas of counselling I deal with
- Abuse (sexual, physical, emotional)
- Major life changes and crisis
- Post-natal depression
- Criminal/youth justice
- Victims of crime
- Bereavment, death
Individual fees: £60.00
Couples, families fees: £60.00 - £80
I reserve a number of low cost therapy time-slots for those who are in need of it.
BACP and UKRCP Accredited Psychotherapist/Counsellor, HCPC registered social worker working within their guidelines and code of ethics.
At Enfield Counselling Service, I worked with individuals and couples providing therapy and clinical assessments and was a counsellor member of the executive committee.
As a full member of the Irish Forum for Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy (IFPP), I was a member of the Accreditation Sub and Review Committees.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Accessible on site parking. Ground floor consulting room with external step and no internal steps.
Session time-slots: Monday-Friday 8.00am-9.00pm. Some weekend availability. Contact: email or telephone.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|