Richard Potts: UKCP (Accred) & MBACP, TF-CBT Counsellor
Would you like to begin to unlock the real you? Or do you just need some help with some of life's challenges?
I am a UKCP Accredited and BACP Registered Member (MBACP) Counsellor and Psychotherapist in central Reading, Berkshire and Wallingford, Oxfordshire. I am also a Trauma Focussed CBT (TF-CBT) practitioner and I feel the hope offered by the quote from Hāfez best sums up how I work:
"I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being." Hāfez
I work with individuals on an open-ended basis or for an agreed time period, with the aim of enabling you to enhance your life, realise your True Self and to live it more fully.
I have developed experience in supporting clients facing:
- Relationship issues
- Low self-esteem
- Coping with illness (especially cancer)
- Younger people (18 to 25)
- Personal growth and development
- Body / self-image and eating disorders
About me and how I work
Helping others has always been a powerful motivation and, following my own life experience, I became a counsellor and psychotherapist as a meaningful and effective way to support individuals.
Having trained as an Integrative, Transpersonal Counsellor and Psychotherapist with a further training in Trauma Focussed CBT (which I deliver for the emergency services) I have experience in various approaches including:
- CBT, NLP and other cognitive approaches
- Trauma Counselling
- Person-centred (Rogerian)
Having experience in many areas helps tailor sessions and an approach to you rather than having to fit to a rigid method - and also means there are varied tools in the cupboard we can try as appropriate.
Training, qualifications & experience
- UKCP (UK Council for Psychotherapy) Accreditation
- BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy) Registered Member (Reg. No. 179318)
- Trauma Focussed – CBT for the emergency services (Thames Valley Police and South Central Ambulance Services).
- Over 12 years as a Psychotherapist and Counsellor in private practice and charity sectors.
- Over 8 years as a Youth Counsellor at No.5 Youth Counselling Service, Reading.
- Psychiatric study placements with Liverpool Community Mental Health Team.
- Established cancer support programmes for families, children and men at the Olive Tree Cancer Support Centre, Crawley (in partnership with NHS and Macmillan)
- Trauma Focussed CBT (TF-CBT) with Noreen Tehrani Associates
- Diploma in Integrative, Transpersonal Counselling and Psychotherapy 4 yr Diploma at the Centre for Counselling & Psychotherapy Education (CCPE), London
- Foundation Course in Counselling & Psychotherapy 1 yr course at CCPE.
- Psychiatric Study Placement at Liverpool Mersey Care NHS Trust, Community Mental Health Team.
- Psychiatric DSM IV study modules
- Various Continuing Professional Development courses, particularly focussing on cancer patients, younger people and trauma treatment.
Accredited register membership
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Anorexia nervosa
- Binge-eating disorder
- Bipolar disorder/Manic depression
- Bulimia nervosa
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Internet addiction
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Passive aggressive behaviour
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
Trauma Focussed Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (TF-CBT) or more standard Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is generally for a more closely defined period on a specific topic that you wish to address or that has occurred and is triggering problems. If you think this approach may be of interest, please contact me and we can discuss options.
- Cognitive and behavioural therapies
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Couples counselling
- Existential therapy
- Gestalt therapy
Sessions are £60 although I do also offer some low-cost sessions
How do I know whether this is right for me?
Whatever you are bringing, we can discuss things as you wish at a pace that is right for you. I really appreciate taking that first step is a big one and the most important aspect is you feel comfortable in the work and we allow things to unfold from there.
What does it cost?
I currently offer sessions at £60 and try not to change costs if possible during our course of sessions.
I also have a few low cost sessions reserved. We can discuss options if you feel this is needed for you (often if you either have a low or no wage at the moment).
How long will psychotherapy or counselling last?
Sessions normally last for 50 mins once a week. There is no commitment to continue for a certain number of sessions with the number of sessions depending only on you. Whether short term or long term, counselling is driven by your needs and goals and what you wish to address. In general, personal development or deeper issues can take longer than single concerns, however we can agree together goals and aims at the outset and reassess things as we progress.
Trauma Focussed - CBT is generally for a defined period of 6 sessions for a specific topic. Sessions are for 1.5 hours with fees then being £90 per session.
When are you available?
I have day and evening appointments available on weekdays. Please contact me to arrange an initial appointment when we can then agree a regular session time.
Are you regulated?
I am have liability insurance and adhere to the UKCP and BACP guidelines and am a member of both organisations.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
07:30 - 21:00 Mon - Fri
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|