Dr. Rachel Murray MSc MBACP(Accred)
Hello. My name is Rachel Murray. I have been counselling for over 20 years. I've helped my clients through various personal and work challenges. I have worked in the NHS, for the RCN, for a university, and in business settings. Currently due to the pandemic I offer sessions by phone only.
I provide a safe, non-judgemental, respectful and valuing space. I will listen, empathise, support, encourage, and work with you. I will gently challenge and reflect with you.
I will use my years of experience to offer strategies that may help you manage distressing emotions and circumstances differently.
My goal will be to help you make changes where you can, and adjust to what may not be realistically achievable. Let me help you to learn and develop healthier ways to be yourself.
I can help...
- with anxiety and depression - if you are on a waiting list for CBT I can offer you treatment without the wait.
- if you are traumatised from a one off event or events over time
- if you are bereaved or experiencing other losses.
- if you have family issues.
- if you have work related concerns.
- I offer CBT and Integrative Counselling.
- I offer Coaching to individuals and to leaders in small businesses.
- I offer Mediation where there has been a breakdown in personal and work relationships
Training, qualifications & experience
My training and qualifications are:
- PhD "Researching the Lived Experience of Nurses Suspended from the Workplace"
- MSc in Counselling, Goldsmiths College, London University. Prof Windy Dryden.
- Advanced Certificate in Counselling and Therapy from the Centre for Stress Management London.
- Primary Certificate in Multi-Modal Therapy, Centre for Stress Management, London
- over 50 short courses
My work experience has spanned 20 years and includes working:
- in GP surgeries,
- for the Royal College of Nursing,
- student counselling at De Montfort University,
- NHS staff counselling in Occupational Health
- EAP counselling with OHAssist.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
BACP is one of the UK’s largest professional bodies for counselling and psychotherapy. Therapists registered with the Association fall into a number of different membership categories such as Individual Member, Registered Member MBACP and Registered Member MBACP (Accred), each standing for different levels of training and experience. MBACP (Accred) and MBACP (Snr Accred) members have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by the Association.
Registered members can be found on the BACP Register, which was the first register to achieve Accredited Voluntary Register status issued by the Professional Standards Authority. Individual Members will have completed an appropriate counselling and/or psychotherapy course and started to practise, but will not appear on the BACP Register until they've progressed to Registered Member MBACP status.
All members are bound by a Code of Ethics & Practice and a Complaints Procedure. Accredited by the Professional Standards Authority.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Areas of counselling I deal with
First appointment is free
My charge is £50 per session after the free first appointment, however reductions are available. Please talk to me about this.
Concessions offered for
My therapy room is separate from the house and looks out onto the garden. It is accessible for people with reduced mobility. However at present only telephone counselling is available due to the pandemic.
There is on street parking. Bus stops and a train station are 10 minutes walk.
I offer couples counselling - currently unavailable due to pandemic
I have a wealth of experience in workplace counselling and can offer small businesses the following, however this is currently limited to telephone only due to the pandemic
- counselling / CBT for employees,
- mediation to address broken work relationships,
- coaching for leaders
- training in stress management and in supporting staff with common mental health issues.