Po Yiu (Andrew) Chan, MA Counselling & Psychotherapy, MBACP
25 Canada Square
Hi, everyone, it is my great pleasure to have you visiting my profile. I really appreciate your effort to take this step forward. You might now be struggling with relationship issues, living with depression or any anxiety-related issues and you might decide to work on those concerns with someone who can provide a safe environment for you to talk and share your stories. Having been trained and worked in counselling and psychology over the past 8 years, I know it is hard to admit our weaknesses not simply because our distress is so overwhelming, but the shame and guilt attached to emotion-related issues are so heavy that people are in constant fear of not wanting to share.
In my work with you, I want to remove the stigma of sharing some of your most hidden thoughts and emotions and give you my full acceptance, empathy and understanding. In our conversation, the focus is not just about exploring your emotional/relationship struggles, but I will also aim at unfolding why you think and feel in a certain way by looking at how your past (i.e. relationship with parents and other important figures) had shaped your communication styles with yourself and others in later life. By unlearning some destructive thinking patterns and learning to develop new perspectives, you will be more able to develop a much consistent personality across different situations. Also, by letting go your past, you will be more able to strive forward and achieve your life purposes without being held back by some of your baggage. Thus, my service is not just about mental health concerns, but it is also about mental health coaching from which helpful tools will be provided for your personal needs. For more information, please visit my website, and it will take you through steps of how my approach will work in your situation and how you can benefit from my service.
Also, I provide both short-term (i.e. 12 sessions) and long-term (24-36 sessions) counselling for clients with different needs. In order to address clients' needs, free initial assessment will be provided to all prospective clients just to allow me to get to know each other and explore ways we can work together. For students, I offer a discount to make sure they are financially capable of doing the counselling course and having their personal development in counselling. For other clients, concessions are available if they are struggling with financial incomes (i.e. proof of income needs to be provided).
Counselling is not a competitive sport. Clients can always decide how many sessions they want to have and when will be the best time for them to leave counselling. I am really looking forward to our first meeting for a fruitful transformational journey!
Training, qualifications & experience
- Psychology, Bachelor in Science (with Honours)
- MA person-centred counselling and experiential psychotherapy
Relevant counselling experience
- Working as a counsellor in a primary school with teachers, teaching assistants, and parents
- Working as a counsellor in a local charity organisation to support low-income clients with a variety concerns in regard to depression, anxiety, OCD, bereavement, alcohol addiction, eating disorders, and career choices
- Working as a counsellor in an organisation to support clients who experienced sexual abuse in early childhood or adolescence.
Relevant clinical experience
- Supported psychiatric patients transitioning from first to final stage of rehabilitation with severe mental illnesses
- Supported and implemented intervention for emotionally disturbed children with Autism and ADHD
- Worked and assisted mental health care team to administer treatments for patients with varying natures and degrees of mental disorders.
Church ministry work
- Provide pastoral care for parents in a local Chinese fellowship in resolving issues related to family and marriage problems
- Develop parenting schemes for Christian parents to help children grow in faith, and seeking life purposes
- Promote church activities that allow active interaction between church members around a common vision for spiritual growth
- Co-lead a mental health support group for men with stress, anxiety, and depression related issues.
- Undergoing Sozo inner healing church ministry training
Areas of expertise (for adults)
- Bereavement and loss
- Self-esteem/confidence issues
- Relationship difficulties
- Childhood difficulties
- Parenthood concerns
- Family difficulties
- Sexual abuse
- Cultural issues
- Personal awareness and development
- Faith issues
- Purpose of life
- Person-centred therapy/ Christian counselling
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
As well as doing secular person-centred counselling for a wide range of issues, I also welcome Christian clients with specific prayer requests and other spiritual-related issues.
Fees £25 for students who seek personal therapists for their counselling course.
Fees £35 for 1 hour daytime session (concessions available).
Fees £35 for online/ skype/ telephone session.
I accept cash at the end of each session; alternatively you can make bank transfer at least 24 hours prior to the session.
Assessment session is free of charge.
- BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
I adhere to the BACP ethical framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I am enhanced DBS checked and have full Professional Indemnity insurance.
I have regular supervision in accordance with BACP guidelines.
I maintain regular continual professional development keeping my knowledge and skills up to date.
I practise in Nottingham. I also do online counselling. Please contact me for further details.
Sessions are 55 minutes long for all clients.
Feel free to call, email me, or book online on my webpage to arrange an initial meeting. An initial meeting will be a good time for us to get to know each other and what is the best time for subsequent sessions. The initial assessment is free. During the initial assessment, you will be given some questions about your current concerns, your expectations, and any support system you have.
I would normally have a quick review with each client every six sessions as an ongoing process for us to make sure our conversations are on the right track. If your expectations are not met or if your concerns are not fully resolved, please feel free to give me any feedback and I am happy to adjust the course of our conversation and make sure you are satisfied with both the process and outcome.
All clients are free to finish at any time they want. It has proven to be beneficial to give informed notice before the end of the therapy relationship.
My counselling office is at the heart of Nottingham City Centre on a road a few minutes walk from the Old Market Squares, 10 minutes walk from the train station/ Victoria Centre, and right next to the tram station. There's plenty of buses (i.e. green line) which can take you to my office.
If you're coming by car there's parking spaces near Castle Arena too.
The office is on the 1st floor and is peaceful and comfortable, ideal for good deep conversation.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||English, Cantonese, Mandarian|
Thursday: 12pm-5pm, Friday: 9am-12pm, 3pm-5pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|