Po Yiu (Andrew) Chan, MA Counselling & Psychotherapy, MBACP
25 Canada Square
15 Wheeler Gate
Hi everyone, I am a qualified counsellor & psychotherapist and a registered member of BACP for counselling and psychotherapy. I have been practicing as a counsellor for nearly 4 years and engaged with other relevant clinical works for another 4 years. The type of counselling I provide is mainly successful leadership training plus relationship counselling which covers 4 main areas:
- Parent-Child Interaction;
- Teacher-Student Interaction;
- Husband-Wife/ Partner-Partner Interaction.
- Work Colleagues Interaction.
The topics I normally discuss with my clients include:
- Parent-Child conflicts/ Lack of Communication;
- Anxiety and Depression/ feel lonely in relationships;
- Trust issues in relationships;
- Fear of abandonment/ isolation in relationships;
- Low self-worth in relationships;
- Shame of expressing yourself in relationships
Would you like to know more about why you feel in a certain way in relationships? Do you need help to get yourself back on track in relationships?
ABOUT MY SERVICE
My therapeutic approach is mainly helping people to feel settled, positive, and confident in relationships. People who are struggling with all above issues will benefit from my service. In my service, I will help people to explore all the negative, destructive beliefs of how they see themselves in relationships and the reasons of why they struggle in current relationships. The possible outcomes of counselling are that people will develop a different view of themselves such as:
- 'I am now being confident of expressing myself',
- 'I am not afraid of being rejected by others',
- 'I am more capable of handling the relationships',
- 'I can be a successful leader in my area of interest.'
People will also be armed with strategies of how to manage the changing dynamics of a relationship so that they know how to proceed at different stages.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
If you are interested in my service and ready to take action, you can access more information by clicking my webpage. Or otherwise, you can call my number or book online via the website to discuss your needs and arrange an appointment in which you can share a bit more about yourself and your concerns in details. The first consultation will be free of charge and you can work out what you want from my service and how long you want to spend working with me.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Psychology, Bachelor in Science (with Honours)
- MA person-centred counselling and experiential psychotherapy
Relevant counselling experience
- Working as a counsellor in a primary school with teachers, teaching assistants, and parents
- Working as a counsellor in a local charity organisation to support low-income clients with a variety concerns in regard to depression, anxiety, OCD, bereavement, alcohol addiction, eating disorders, and career choices
- Working as a counsellor in an organisation to support clients who experienced sexual abuse in early childhood or adolescence.
Relevant clinical experience
- Supported psychiatric patients transitioning from first to final stage of rehabilitation with severe mental illnesses
- Supported and implemented intervention for emotionally disturbed children with Autism and ADHD
- Worked and assisted mental health care team to administer treatments for patients with varying natures and degrees of mental disorders.
Church ministry work
- Provide pastoral care for parents in a local Chinese fellowship in resolving issues related to family and marriage problems
- Develop parenting schemes for Christian parents to help children grow in faith, and seeking life purposes
- Promote church activities that allow active interaction between church members around a common vision for spiritual growth
- Co-lead a mental health support group for men with stress, anxiety, and depression related issues.
- Undergoing Sozo inner healing church ministry training
Areas of expertise (for adults)
- Bereavement and loss
- Self-esteem/confidence issues
- Relationship difficulties
- Childhood difficulties
- Parenthood concerns
- Family difficulties
- Sexual abuse
- Cultural issues
- Personal awareness and development
- Faith issues
- Purpose of life
- Person-centred therapy/ Christian counselling
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Asperger's syndrome
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Learning difficulties
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
- Physical abuse
Other areas of counselling I deal with
As well as doing secular person-centred counselling for a wide range of issues, I also welcome Christian clients with specific prayer requests and other spiritual-related issues.
Photos & videos
Fees £25 for students who seek personal therapists for their counselling course.
Fees £35 for 1 hour daytime session.
Fees £35 for online/ skype/ telephone session.
I accept cash at the end of each session; alternatively you can make bank transfer at least 24 hours prior to the session.
Assessment session is free of charge.
- BACP (British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy)
I adhere to the BACP ethical framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.
I am enhanced DBS checked and have full Professional Indemnity insurance.
I have regular supervision in accordance with BACP guidelines.
I maintain regular continual professional development keeping my knowledge and skills up to date.
I practise in Nottingham and London. I also do online counselling. Please contact me for further details.
Sessions are 55 minutes long for all clients.
Feel free to call, email me, or book online on my webpage to arrange an initial meeting. An initial meeting will be a good time for us to get to know each other and what is the best time for subsequent sessions. The initial assessment is free. During the initial assessment, you will be given some questions about your current concerns, your expectations, and any support system you have.
I would normally have a quick review with each client every six sessions as an ongoing process for us to make sure our conversations are on the right track. If your expectations are not met or if your concerns are not fully resolved, please feel free to give me any feedback and I am happy to adjust the course of our conversation and make sure you are satisfied with both the process and outcome.
All clients are free to finish at any time they want. It has proven to be beneficial to give informed notice before the end of the therapy relationship.
One of my counselling offices is at the heart of Nottingham City Centre on a road a few minutes walk from the Old Market Squares, 10 minutes walk from the train station/ Victoria Centre, and right next to the tram station. There's plenty of buses (i.e. green line) which can take you to my office. If you're coming by car there's parking spaces near Castle Arena too. The office is on the 1st floor and is peaceful and comfortable, ideal for good deep conversation.
My another office is at Canary Wharf, London and it is just a few minutes walk from the DLR station and underground. There's also plenty of buses which can take you to my office. The office is on the 29th floor and is catered to private setting.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
|Other languages:||English, Cantonese, Mandarian|
Monday: 1pm-6pm, Tuesday: 9am-12pm, Wednesday: 9am-12pm, 1pm-6pm, Thursday: 9am-12pm, 1pm-5pm, Friday: 9am-12pm, 3pm-5pm
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|