Philippa Downs Child and Adolescent Counsellor PGDip., MBACP
Please Note: I am currently operating a waiting list for child clients. However I still have limited availability for parent consultations and support sessions. Please call for further information.
I am a Qualified, Registered Child and Adolescent Counsellor. I offer counselling and also play and creative arts based therapy to children in primary school through to the early years of secondary school. I also work with parents and families. I work from my Private Practice in Wimbledon and also, where appropriate, in schools.
I work with issues such as:
- child/parent relationship support
- emotional and behavioural problems
- bullying and friendship worries
- parental separation and divorce
- relationship and family issues
- long term illness
- domestic abuse
- improving communication in the family
- parenting support
- self confidence and resilience
- making sense of emotions and feelings
- parental addiction, alcohol and drug use
Training, qualifications & experience
- Post Graduate Diploma in Counselling Children, University of East London and Place2Be
- Child Parent Relationship Therapy, Roehampton University
- Specialist training and experience as a Bereavement Counsellor for children and families dealing with complex bereavements such as suicide, sudden death and long term illness, loss of a parent or sibling.
- Specialist training and experience in working with children and families affected by addiction or parental alcohol and drug use.
- Qualified M-PACT Practitioner (programme for families affected by parental drug and alcohol use)
- Additional training in trauma, domestic abuse, couples work, parenting, resilience, attachment, group work
- Foundation in Systemic Practice
- Experienced school counsellor, in both primary and secondary schools
- Extensive work with families and parents in a variety of settings
- Registered Member of the British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists and abide by their code of ethics
- Fully insured
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Children’s learning difficulties
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Drug abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
Other areas of counselling I deal with
I support parents and families as well as individual children and am trained in Child Parent Relationship Therapy which teaches parents the basics of play therapy for them to use at home with their own child. This can enhance the parent child relationship and help with difficult behaviour, limit setting and attachment.
Free 30 minute telephone consultation.
£60 for initial assessment which includes meetings with one or both parents, meeting with child and follow up phone call.
£50 per session lasting 50 minutes.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
I am currently operating a waiting list for child clients. However I still have limited availability for parent consultations and support sessions. Please call for further information.
Types of client