Phaedra Athinodorou BA, MBACP, Accredited
My name is Phaedra, I'm an accredited and registered member of the BACP.
As an experienced counsellor I can help you make sense of the problems or fears or sadness that you feel in a safe and comfortable environment. Our work is confidential. You will feel listened to, supported and valued. My approach is empathic and warm and we focus on building up trust in our relationship so that the counselling can work best for you. As an integrative counsellor I vary my approach to suit your needs:
- You may want to focus on a current problem - for example, a work-related crisis. We would then look at strategies to help bring about change.
- It could be that an experience from your past is hurting you and holding you back. By validating this pain through empathy we would work on helping you move forward.
- You may find that you automatically feel negative and get stuck with these thoughts. We would explore how we can rebalance these thoughts.
- You may wish to explore past relationships to help you understand your current feelings and relationships. If you find patterns repeating themselves we can work on changing these patterns and building up your self-esteem.
Issues I have experience in / People have come to me struggling with:
- Low self-esteem
- Relationship issues
- Work-related problems
- Domestic violence
- Loss, miscarriage and termination
My private practice is open to clients (16+) male and female.
Free Consultation -
Our first meeting will take place in East Finchley and will be free of charge. In this session I will explain how I work and you will have the chance to ask me questions and decide whether I am the right therapist for you. I do offer concessions to my usual rate. We will also be able to discuss whether daytime or evening works best for you, depending on availability.
Long or Short term -
I would recommend at least six weeks of counselling after the initial consultation. We review the therapy regularly. As the client you are able to decide how long you want to keep coming and how often (once or twice a week).
Theoretical Model -
Integrative with an emphasis on psychodynamic therapy, humanistic and CBT strategies.
So why not email or call me for a quick chat?
Below are a few testimonials from my clients:
Hi Phaedra. I just wanted to say how much counselling has helped me. I'm much stronger now as a person. Looking back through the years I can't believe I let some people treat me like crap. I do hope no one thinks it is the end of the world when they go through something bad and are feeling really low."
T aged 19 had suffered domestic violence.
"Dear Phaedra, Of all the counselling, psychotherapy I've had in the past I have never felt so confident in my life. Because of you I am actually happy. Very happy and I have never felt like this before in my entire life. I thank God for you. Thank you so much."
K aged 22 had suffered depression
"Dear Phaedra, Thank you for seeing me for the last 20 weeks. You have made me believe in myself and express my feelings to you and I offer you this card for you to keep and remember me."
From R aged 14, supported in a school environment, had suffered low self-esteem.
Training, qualifications & experience
- CPCAB Diploma in Therapeutic Counselling 2010 from a BACP approved course at the Mary Ward Centre
- Certificate in CBT skill 2015, from a BACP approved course at The Grove
- Certificate in Counselling Skills, 2008 Mary Ward Centre
- Bereavement Training, 2009
- Training in Counselling Skills, The City Lit.2007
- CPD in working with adolescents at The Centre for Child Mental Health 2014
Experience as a Counsellor
- I work both privately and for public bodies
- I am a Registered and Accredited member of the BACP
- I adhere to the BACP's ethical framework and am fully insured
- Three years Woodhouse Sixth form College
- Four years experience with a service run by Camden Council for parents and carers 2008-12
- One day a week as a school counsellor for Archer Academy - on going
- Two years Student Counsellor at London Metropoitan University 2009-11
- Two years counselling adults for Barnet Community Counselling 2011-13
Teaching of Counselling
I am a tutor in relationship and counselling skills employed by the charity - The Prison Concord Trust. I work with young offenders and also at a drugs and alcohol recovery centre devising and running courses to help people improve their relationships with friends, peers and colleagues. The course is accredited by Middlesex University.
I have specialist Parentcraft training as a former employee of the organisation Parentline Plus. This involved supporting parents with problems at home concerning children/ teenagers/partners.
Many years ago I graduated from Manchester University with a BA Honours in Politics and Modern History (1988) and worked as a radio broadcaster before changing career and working as a mentor offering emotional support to young teenagers in a north London secondary school.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Anger management
- Attachment disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Domestic violence
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Physical abuse
- Free initial consultation
- £45 in East Finchley, N2
- £50 in Oxford Circus WC1
- Sessions last 60 minutes.
I do offer concessions to those on low incomes and also offer sessions of £40 to those able to come during normal working hours.
My consulting room in East Finchley is close to the underground and bus services.
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Flexible appointments - some evening slots also available.
Types of client