Peter Orton. Dip.Couns. MBACP
07742 868362 / 07742 868362
Me and My Approach to Counselling
Hello and welcome. My name is Peter. As your Therapeutic Counsellor I aim to offer you a warm, accepting, empathic, safe and confidential space in the Merthyr and Brecon areas. To enable you as my client to explore those feelings and thoughts that you may be experiencing without the added worry of being judged. I work in a non directive, relational way within a Person Centred Approach. Equally, I am able to draw on an array of other theoretical approaches and interventions to help facilitate your exploration with the ultimate aim to meet your counselling expectations. As my client, I will always put your best interest at the heart of the counselling process in supporting you to hopefully develop a greater awareness and understanding of what you are experiencing. Also to support your growth to enable you to develop greater sense of empowerment,hope, courage and resilience for you to lead and live the life you hope for.
As a fully registered member of the BACP I strive to work ethically by working within their ethical framework and to abide by their code of ethics in having a duty of care for the well-being of you my client. I am fully insured and hold an up to date enhanced DBS certificate.
As my client what can you expect from Counselling?
The thought of coming to counselling can seem a very daunting prospect for many, being it the unknown or how you may perceive the counselling process as a whole. I aim to make this transition as comfortable for you as possible. The development of our relationship will aid our ways of how we collaborate freely in a trusting, safe and non judgmental environment with a focus on working towards the best outcome for you. The sessional time is your very own time in however you feel best to use it. We can work freely through talk or with a creative aspect, there is no right or wrong as engaging and growing as part of the counselling process is truly a unique individual experience that is only specific to your needs.
How many sessions should I have?
As your counsellor I will never suggest or advise you on how many sessions I feel you need because ultimately I respect and trust your judgement on this. You may feel you only need one session which is totally fine. Its important for me on an ethical and professional level that the sessions we do have together provides some therapeutic value to you. If you feel you would like more than one session then this can be discussed at our first inital meeting.
How to contact me.
I can be contacted via email, telephone or text message. I would suggest email as the first method of contact solely because I may not be able to answer the telephone straight away, due to being in session with other clients. If you would prefer to contact me via telephone then I am happy to take your call. If I am unable to answer your call at that particular moment in time, if I could ask you to please leave an answer phone message or text message with your number and first name and I will try and contact you within 24 hrs of your first intial call. If you do not hear back from me within 24hrs please could you try and make contact me again.
If you feel we could work together or you would like any further information. Please feel free to contact me.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Therapeutic Counselling, Dip Counselling.
- Therapeutic Counselling, Level 3.
- Engaging with Adults who Have Suffered Sexual Abuse - Level 4, University Of South Wales.
* I am in the process of working towards a Pg Dip (level 7) in Counselling Children and Young People at USW.
- New Pathways working with adults who have been sexually abused - 10 day training programme.
- Working with Personality Disorders - Talking Heads.
- Working Ethically in Private Practice with Dr Kathy Raffles.
- Professional Development in qualifing to practice the REWIND TECHNIQUE with Dr David Muss.
- Understanding and Recognising Child Sexual Exploitation - Level 3.
- Direct Work with Children Involved with Sexual Exploitation - Level 3.
- Intergrative Arts Therapy and Creative approaches to Counselling.
- Place2be safeguarding training.
- Counselling Skills - Level 2.
- I work with Young People in a Secondary School Environment.
- I work within my own Private Practice at Just Being Counselling.
- I have spent 2 years working for The Almond Tree Counselling Service as a Therapeutic Counsellor within the Merthyr Tydfil Community.
- I have spent a full term working for Place2Be in a Cardiff primary school as a Volunteer Childrens Counsellor.
Areas of counselling I deal with
- Affairs and betrayals
- Attachment disorder
- Attachment disorder in children
- Behaviour problems
- Bipolar disorder
- Carer support
- Child related issues
- Childhood bereavement
- Childhood bullying
- Depression and anxiety in children
- Domestic violence
- Eating disorders
- Emotional abuse
- Family issues
- Feeling sad
- Generalised anxiety disorder
- Low self-confidence
- Low self-esteem
- Panic disorder
- Personality disorders
Photos & videos
Individuals (ages 9yrs +)
60 minute session for daytime appointments - Monday to Friday - £40.
60 minute session after 5pm - £50.
60 minute session weekends appointments - Saturday or Sunday - £50.
I offer 1 appointment slot at a reduced rate to those on benefits. Please contact me to discuss further.
60 minute session - £35.
For 10 mandatory 60 minute sessions - £300.
Method of Payment
Payment to be made by bank transfer 24hrs before the session or by cash at the start of each session please.
It is important that a minimum of 24 hours notice is provided in the need to cancel or reschedule a session, otherwise there maybe a charge for the full amount of a sessional cost. For further details please visit https://www.justbeingcounselling.co.uk/services
I am qualified to practice REWIND Therapy. This is a specialised intervention in supporting individuals who are experiencing PTSD. It was developed by Dr David Muss of the International Association for Rewind Trauma Therapy (IARTT). http://www.iartt.com/therewindtechnique/#
Maps & Directions
Type of session
|Face to face counselling:||Yes|
Only at my Merthyr Tydfil office. There is a lift accessible on the ground floor.
If there is a specific time or day you would prefer. Please contact me to discuss to ensure availability.
Types of client
|Employee Assistance Programme|